Facelift 2018 1.5 petrol A3 black edition new tyres

luke1980

Reaction score
Audi did a health check on my car and my tyres were down to 3 mm tread on the front and they recommend replacing them.

They gave me a couple prices , but wondered what tyre people recommend going for and how much they pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there any other reason they suggested for replacing them? (e.g. cracking)? If not then certainly by our laws there is still plenty of tread on them but in some countries the min is 3mm.

If you do replace them probably be better putting the new rubber on the back and rotate the back ones to the front.

Assume they are 225/40 R18? Think it’s about 90-100 per tyre for Dunlop sport maxx RT which is the standard tyre.

Was there any other reason they suggested for replacing them? (e.g. cracking)? If not then certainly by our laws there is still plenty of tread on them but in some countries the min is 3mm.

If you do replace them probably be better putting the new rubber on the back and rotate the back ones to the front.

Assume they are 225/40 R18? Think it’s about 90-100 per tyre for Dunlop sport maxx RT which is the standard tyre.

Nope all tyres fine they said although they not at legal limit they recommended replacing them.

Back tyres are around 6 or 7 on them

They quoted me a tyre around £80 and another was £130

I go somewhere else but will get everyone's recommended tyre nearer the time

Buying tyres, cheapest place I've found is Costco or if you know a good tyre fitter a good website is called tyreleaders.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3mm is widely recommended as the time to change your tyres. Yes you are perfectly legal until down to 1.6mm but wet weather grip and stopping distance is greatly reduced....plus there is an increased chance of punctures.
Personally I wouldn't let any of my tyres go much below 3mm.

Just an observation but your front tyres have worn around 5mm. This is on a 2018 car, so it must have done a seriously high mileage?

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Jassyo06 and Adam14
3mm is widely recommended as the time to change your tyres. Yes you are perfectly legal until down to 1.6mm but wet weather grip and stopping distance is greatly reduced....plus there is an increased chance of punctures.
Personally I wouldn't let any of my tyres go much below 3mm.

Just an observation but your front tyres have worn around 5mm. This is on a 2018 car, so it must have done a seriously high mileage?

It's a 2018 model and just done under 10k . I am the second owner as someone from the dealership had it before

I will have to check what tyres are on there currently

It's a 2018 model and just done under 10k . I am the second owner as someone from the dealership had it before

I will have to check what tyres are on there currently

Seems like quick wear. For reference my S3 front tyres were on P Zeroes and when it went in for a health check both front tyres were on 5mm after 16k miles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Default phone call / AudiCam from Audi at every service.

"Hello Sir, you're tired are at 3mm (insert any depth that are completely legal) and we would recommend changing them"

You then get sent the link or advised over the phone that Audi can fit new tyres today at way more than you can get them from elsewhere. Sure most people will say no, as they are perfectly legal with loads of tread left, but they'll catch out others who get scared that their tyres need replacing because Audi has flagged them up.

Purely a money making scheme.

Default phone call / AudiCam from Audi at every service.

"Hello Sir, you're tired are at 3mm (insert any depth that are completely legal) and we would recommend changing them"

You then get sent the link or advised over the phone that Audi can fit new tyres today at way more than you can get them from elsewhere. Sure most people will say no, as they are perfectly legal with loads of tread left, but they'll catch out others who get scared that their tyres need replacing because Audi has flagged them up.

Purely a money making scheme.

No offence, but I disagree with your comments. The dealer made the customer aware of the wear and made a recommendation for the owner to replace the tyres. That decision is up to the customer to heed the advice and replace at his convenience and where to buy the tyres from.
Most owners do not have a tyre depth gauge and the dealer was only doing his customer a safety service by making him aware of tyre condition, as that is his obligation to do so.
To be very honest most owners do not check tyre pressures/condition, oil level, coolant levels, etc. on a regular basis. Just ask any mechanic on the sorry state of some customers cars that come in for servicing
I personally would replace tyres at 2.5-3mm

Last edited:
No offence, but I disagree with your comments. The dealer made the customer aware of the wear and made a recommendation for the owner to replace the tyres. That decision is up to the customer to heed the advice and replace at his convenience and where to buy the tyres from.
Most owners do not have a tyre depth gauge and the dealer was only doing his customer a safety service by making him aware of tyre condition, as that is his obligation to do so.
To be very honest most owners do not check tyre pressures/condition, oil level, coolant levels, etc. on a regular basis. Just ask any mechanic on the sorry state of some customers cars that come in for servicing
I personally would replace tyres at 2.5-3mm

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. If they weren't trying to make money out of it, they'd just inform the customer of the tire depth when they called back in to collect their car.

The fact they phone you up saying we recommend changing now while it's up on the ramps, even though the tyres are perfectly legal, stinks on trying to extract more money out of the customer. As I say, some people will just say `yes` as Audi are saying they recommend changing them, when legally they don't need to be.

That's some wear on a 1.5 so would assume some spirited driving has taken place at some point.
To go back to to the OP I would say it depends on how you drive your car.
If you enjoy chucking it into corners scrubbing off the rubber with lots of understeer change them for some decent rubber like Michelin PS4s.
If you just tootle to the shops and back on dry days I would swap the tyres front to back, opposite corners if they aren't directional and save your money as you'll probably get another 10k out of 3mm on the back.
Beware of some cheapo ditch finder tyres unless you drive around with the B&O cranked high as the noise from some of them will drive you mad.

Just looked at what tyres are on the car currently and they are Hankook Ventus S1 evo tyres.

Not sure if anyone wise has had them on their car before ?