MPG 2.0tdie

Daveabuk

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased my 2014 b8.5 2.0tdie 90k miles last week and think I may have already discovered an issue regarding the MPG that I'm getting.

I like 3 miles from work, so 6 miles of traveling per day just for work. In between that I do the usual mid town driving on 50/60 roads and I don't drive mad.

I put £30 in last week at a price of 1.29/litre and have done 90 miles including some motorway and the digital display is showing that I have only 130 miles left in the tank. Which should mean that I'll get about 160 miles out of £30 8f I'm right.

I previously had a 1.9tdi made in 2007 with 145k miles and got around 210 miles from £20.

As well as this, the car takes an awfully long time to warm up. It takes about 10 minutes to get to work combining of 30/40/50mph roads and the needle doesn't move from 0.

I have RAC warranty on the car so would this be something they would look at? I'm thinking thermostat or temp sensor but I don't want to go prodding around myself when I have warranty.

Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers!

Modern diesels generally take some time to get up to temp don’t be surprised to see the temp gauge drop in cold conditions when in slow moving traffic. Regarding your MPG you will be getting less due the engine taking some time to warm up and shorter journeys really don’t benefit the diesel figures unfortunately.

This engine is woeful at short journeys and given your short commute, I’m surprised you looked at a diesel. Petrol would have probably been more economical and less likely to produce issues later in life.

For what it’s worth, with the same engine I get around 55mpg on a long run.

Thanks guys.

The gold didnt didn't warm up any quicker but I was getting 45 around town normally.

But I have to bear in mind this is a much bigger car and a little bigger than a 1.9 lump.

Also I chose a diesel as I'm a football fan and do travel twice a month to away games. Not only that but I'm changing career to a HGV driver so commuting to different work places up and down the M1 may be required.

I can scan the car but to be honest I don't think I'll bother just now. I figured the cold weather, plus short journeys are both contributing to the fuel economy as nobody has told me otherwise yet. I'm currently on 145 miles and the tank is still saying I have 90 left. So maybe its not too bad compared to the golf taking size and engine into consideration.

Cheers for your input again!

Modern diesels generally take some time to get up to temp don’t be surprised to see the temp gauge drop in cold conditions when in slow moving traffic. Regarding your MPG you will be getting less due the engine taking some time to warm up and shorter journeys really don’t benefit the diesel figures unfortunately.
I have noticed this as well 2.0 tdi ultra takes a lot longer to warm up than 2.0 TFSI.

Reactions: DickoB8
Cheers for the input.

I have put £20 of Shell diesel in the tank and been driving normally this week, only work and back. I reset the counter straight after filling and this displayed 200 miles remaining. I have only done 14.8 miles and the car is displaying only 130 miles remaining.

Surely there's a problem somewhere on the car, stop start is only working if I turn the heaters off.
I've just drove home from work, 1.8 miles and the cooling fans are still running even after I've turned the engine off and locked the car.

I've only had the car for 30 days now so I'm going to call the dealer up tomorrow and explain what's happening.

Does anyone have any other ideas what the problem may be? As I first did believe it may have been the weather but I'm loosing like 20 miles a day doing less than 4 miles of actual driving.

Thanks.

The fans run on if it's stopped in the middle of dpi regen. Try running a couple of dpi cleaner and injector treatments through, there only a couple of quid and my old b8 seems to breath easier after.

Awful engine. Audi are liars and they have made a bad engine.