grrr... another misfiring in the early morning thread

Stuart B

Reaction score
so it is a knock, miss, cough, spit, struggle for about 4 seconds when I am starting the car in the morning if I just turn the key with the clutch depressed, unless I give it some gas.

the coolant level is stable and although it is losing a little bit of oil I am pretty sure it is leaking on the outside of the engine (maybe under the timing belt side cam cover) the dipstick has not raised and the car seems to run perfectly well once it is over this hiccup.

I cannot see any obvious air leaks (there is not a lot left to leak)

I have tried to let it prime twice this morning in case it was lack of fuel, and it was maybe actually worse this morning (or progressively getting worse?)

any ideas?
I was thinking about
1. checking the catch can
2. resyncing the throttle body
3. clear fuel trims adaptions <-- could it be too much fuel?
4. checking throttle body for oil

I will say the idle is not perfect - I have not changed the map since the weekend and put it back to a previous stable map after some runs (but it had started doing this before the weekend)

no faults in VAGCOM, but I am wondering if there is anything I can try to log to see if there is any clues on initial cold start, I might check the manifold and downpipe bolts as I wonder whether it leaks for a few seconds when cold?

Fingers crossed I think it is the Fuel Trims, maybe I didn't use the calibrating tool correctly, I reckon it had too much fuel on initial cold start up, hence even worse when primed twice - I rolled back the table to stock and it didn't do this after updating the map.

Hi Bill,

I think / hope it is fuel based rather than some other internal trauma. :)
I used that "FKKVSFixer" program, it is supposed to be used from logs for about 30 minutes when engine is warm and looking at the ratio's it created, I wonder whether it is over-fuelling at low revs when cold? it is literally a "cough, spit, near stall and splutter" for a few seconds but when I rolled back to the stock K04 FKKVS it didn't do it (I know this isn't the correct solution)? what I have done is copied the low revs block from stock for now and kept the rest from the tool - to see if it does it tomorrow?

I did also clear the adaptions so maybe it was storing these and slowly getting worse?

stock was (this didn't have the issue on first start today)
Upload 2019 2 14 21 41 15

fixer tool originally created (this was having a few seconds issue and was worse when I double primed the fuel rail eg 0-2 wait 5 secs off remove key, 0-2 wait for 5 secs start)
Upload 2019 2 14 21 42 45

I have created this "hack job" as a test for tomorrow by copying the ratios for 760-1480 and top row from stock (crazy)
Upload 2019 2 14 21 45 4

it's all good fun... until it goes wrong :)

Just live with it man :laugh:

These are the thing we deal with when we want to modify our cars :racer:

4 seconds of having to cover the throttle isn't too terrible

Reactions: Stuart B
Just live with it man :laugh:
These are the thing we deal with when we want to modify our cars :racer:
4 seconds of having to cover the throttle isn't too terrible

Somewhere, somehow, a Tufftysense is tingling at this :laugh:

Reactions: Stuart B and S3AMJ
Somewhere, somehow, a Tufftysense is tingling at this :laugh:
...and is one of the reasons I ditched ME7 for Ignitron as relearning ME7 after not using it on a daily basis was a ball ache

....that and Ignitron is actual awesome...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Stuart B
larger injectors rarely have the same low injector on time linearity, and dead times are significant down there too...

cold start is no lambda to make good a bad starting number, so stumble down there, especially spitback, which is a lean thing, is'nt uncommon when the sub 2ms injector on time settings are off for the injectors.

The logging for the fkkvs (which I cant say I've seen nor used) is only learning values when warm..