RNC-E question.

Integralekid

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just a couple of questions left to ask after the purchase of my 2008 S3 Sportback, I've found plenty of answers to other questions on the forum though so happy days.

I can't connect my phone to the MMI sterio, it's RNC-E SW220 H06. I checked with Audi and they said it wasn't enabled in the options when it left the showroom, satnav was also disabled. On this basis, will all the necessary bits be there for these options to work and it just needs coding, or is it more long winded than that?

Cheers, Rob.

Connect your phone in what way? For handsfree or music?

Handsfree requires Bluetooth which was a separate option and is separate to the 'RNS-E'

For music your main factory option is aux in or if an iPhone through iPod dock or AMI (both optional)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Also sat nav cannot be disabled as far as I am aware, unlike current cars where they come with big screens but no nav, the RNS-E was sold as a navigation system. You need a maps DVD for it to work

You will probably need to do some coding to get things to work ,and your code will depend on what you have in your car , ie mfsw, by, cruise control , telephone prep ,

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_125547-1920x1440.jpg
    IMG_20190102_125547-1920x1440.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 85
Evening all,

Just a couple of questions left to ask after the purchase of my 2008 S3 Sportback, I've found plenty of answers to other questions on the forum though so happy days.

I can't connect my phone to the MMI sterio, it's RNC-E SW220 H06. I checked with Audi and they said it wasn't enabled in the options when it left the showroom, satnav was also disabled. On this basis, will all the necessary bits be there for these options to work and it just needs coding, or is it more long winded than that?

Cheers, Rob.

Can you upload a photo of the unit?

Do you have the AMI interface in the glovebox?

You will probably need to do some coding to get things to work ,and your code will depend on what you have in your car , ie mfsw, by, cruise control , telephone prep ,

Hi, yes I have MFSW and CC, not sure about phone prep, how would I know this?

Connect your phone in what way? For handsfree or music?

Handsfree requires Bluetooth which was a separate option and is separate to the 'RNS-E'

For music your main factory option is aux in or if an iPhone through iPod dock or AMI (both optional)

Both tbh. I was hoping to be able to make calls theougt the unit.

Hi, yes I have MFSW and CC, not sure about phone prep, how would I know this?
Bluetooth your phone book onto your Head Unit, once done press telephone button ( I think on HU ) look see if they show up in your dash if so use the Thumb scroll right side on wheel then press the make call button and see if it calls the number , you should here it if it is coded correctly and if it works there you go , if it doesn't again it could be needed coded or you don't have the SDS in your car

Bluetooth your phone book onto your Head Unit, once done press telephone button ( I think on HU ) look see if they show up in your dash if so use the Thumb scroll right side on wheel then press the make call button and see if it calls the number , you should here it if it is coded correctly and if it works there you go , if it doesn't again it could be needed coded or you don't have the SDS in your car

Audi say that the phone wasn't enabled, I've tried connecting to Bluetooth no no joy, I think it needs coding to work. Will the antenna and mode have been installed but not enabled, or will I have to buy the lot and code the RNC-E to make it work?

You need to find out if you have the BT module in your car to start with , plus has your Rns-e got the media button or the CD/TV on the front , worth posting a pic off the unit up

You need to find out if you have the BT module in your car to start with , plus has your Rns-e got the media button or the CD/TV on the front , worth posting a pic off the unit up

I'll get a photo tomorrow and put it up. It's the plus model, I didn't confirm that in my earlier posts.

I'll get a photo tomorrow and put it up. It's the plus model, I didn't confirm that in my earlier posts.
If it's the plus I would have said your car would have the BT in it especially if you have a MFSw , get your car scanned ( try members on here , vcds section ) and see what your coding is and compare to the pop up I put up ,

If it's the plus I would have said your car would have the BT in it especially if you have a MFSw , get your car scanned ( try members on here , vcds section ) and see what your coding is and compare to the pop up I put up ,

Cheers

Last edited:
Does you car have the shark-fin aerial on the roof?

The unit is the RNS-E (not RNC-E) but nevertheless, as you know these are DVD based Sat Nav units. You can't actually disable the Sat Nav - do you have a nav disc in the unit at the mo?

Does the car have Bluetooth? This is an option from factory and although you have the RNS-E you may not have BT. If you have BT it's for phone connection only, not music. To check, press the 'Tel' button and see if it asks for a connection.

Check your glove-box to see if you have AMI interface - you'll be able to plug a BT dongle (Viseeo WMA-3000) into this for your BT music streaming.

Don't bother asking Audi - they are useless at the best of times.

Hi, no shark fin. Audi say the BT wasn't enabled when it left the showroom but I'm hoping that the BT unit/ module and antenna may still have been installed at the factory. I'm trying to find someone to connect the vagcom in and check but no joy at the mo. No maps DVD for the sat nav but I know somone who has a fairly recent disc so I'll pop that in and see what happens.

I have the shark fin and BT calling works fine, I take it that is the phone antenna?

Hi, no shark fin. Audi say the BT wasn't enabled when it left the showroom but I'm hoping that the BT unit/ module and antenna may still have been installed at the factory. I'm trying to find someone to connect the vagcom in and check but no joy at the mo. No maps DVD for the sat nav but I know somone who has a fairly recent disc so I'll pop that in and see what happens.

I suspect your RNS-E has been retro fitted. You are unlikely to have BT unless this was retrofitted too, or, if BT was already there then maybe the RNS-E doesn’t recognise it.

Audi are d1cks but each to their own - they wouldn’t fit BT and then disable it - I had to get it retrofitted to my previous A3.

Pull your head unit out (get the removal keys from Halfords) and see if there is a GPS unit connected otherwise get one off eBay.

Reactions: nluk100
I have the shark fin and BT calling works fine, I take it that is the phone antenna?

Not specifically no. I can’t remember the scenarios but do you have the cradle in the arm rest or screwed to the dash? This may use the shark fin but it’s (the shark fin) is typically for the Sat Nav.

I have the phone cradle in my armrest but no nav, it's a concert 3 with the red screen.

Not specifically no. I can’t remember the scenarios but do you have the cradle in the arm rest or screwed to the dash? This may use the shark fin but it’s (the shark fin) is typically for the Sat Nav.

No cradle on mine, I do have the plug in the glove box though and an aux connection by the armrest.