Audi S3 8P Sportback Rotational Knocking

Russ Gregory

Reaction score
Hi all,

Over the weekend the car has developed a clicking/knocking noise from the drivers side front wheel area.

The noise comes mainly at low speeds and turning right (for example pulling out from a t-junction or driving round a roundabout. Occasionally it does it turning left but only when the steering is at a slight angle but the noise still comes from the same side. It's like something is touching the driveshaft or wheel when the wheels are in motion. Could be a suspension component or maybe the wheel touching something because the speed of the knocking noise increases as the car speeds up/slows down.

I took the car to my local garage yesterday, the mechanic test drove it and could hear the noise but couldn't find out where it was coming from. He checked the CV Joints and Driveshafts and couldn't find any issues with them visually. He checked for play and found nothing excessive.

I'm at a loss and it's driving me nuts. Searching around on here but have found nothing conclusive.

Last work I had done on the car was a few weeks ago where I had the sump taken off, cleaned out and replaced the oil pickup pipe which involves dropping the sub frame down. Not sure if it might be linked to that???

Some threads have said about brake pipes touching the wheel/driveshaft?

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried supporting the car securely with the steering at the critical angle and then turning the road wheel? As the noise increases with speed it must be something to do with the drive train. Well worth checking the other side too as sometimes sound travels. As it fluctuates with different steering angles it must be located on the outer end of the drive shaft or wheel bearing area. Have you checked there is nothing sticking into the tyre that could cause the noise on the road?