Subwoofer options

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
since I’m in the process of fitting a reversing camera and changing the alarm siren thought I’d look at changing the sub whilst the boots apart. Ideally I’d like the Andy Mac set up but can get a empty bass boxs of eBay
What watts was the jl speaker Andy Mac used in his kits?
Am I right in thing that I need a 4 ohms speaker to work with the Bose system one?
What other speaker makes should I look out for apart from jl and jbl? Been over 10 years since I done the bass box and amp setup so don’t know the market more
What setup a you using?

Last edited:
The enclosure il just buy of eBay for the sake of £40 I was looking at the jl 8w3v3 4 ohm
http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/8w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92148
I will be changing the amp according to Jl a 75-200w amp is best for this speaker
There’s a Andy Mac one in classifieds but the sellers not on here much I’ve sent a few messages but no answer so started looking at putting my own together if he doesn’t get back to me soon the only thing I was thinking Is the Andy Mac ones are years old now so there might be better setups for the price

Last edited:
Just have to make sure you’ve got enough space for the magnet with the side on eBay enclosures. Not sure what they measure at depth wise. This is kind of why I’m thinking of making my own. I didn’t realise until now but the AndyMac stealth boxes came with an amp inside! This would suggest my idea of simply running the 6.5” sub from the Bose amp wouldn’t be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t think it would the Bose amp is built into the Bose sub if I’m not wrong. I’ve done a deal for the Andy Mac sub and a alpine amp so will have a look at it when it arrives and might swap the sub for a newer jl 4ohm 500w w3v3 down the line

Nice! Post up pics, etc mate if you wouldn’t mind. Be good to get the dimensions so I’ve got something to work to :)

Looks like the speaker you were looking at is the right one I was thing of sticking on the opposite side to the sub. Don’t no what I’m playing at really messing around with wiring subs and reverse cameras when it’s not got a running engine

You’ve got itchy fingers like me dude that’s all. Constantly tinkering with stuff finding ways to make it better. Once you’ve got all the bits for your engine you’ll be busy with that. I’m looking at ultra compact 2 channel amps..... ones looking very promising very small foot print although comes at a price!

****** hell looks tiny should have no problem fitting that in with the sub

****** hell looks tiny should have no problem fitting that in with the sub

It’s one of the smallest footprint amps I could find with suitable power output. With me making the enclosure I should be able to mount it discreetly and easily, I’m still not 100% sure about mounting it inside the box though. Heat distribution would be the biggest concern although this one gives off very little heat.... would be a very easy and tidy install with it all incorporated together.

Does the Bose amp power any of the other speakers? Or is it purely for the subwoofer. I’m assuming you can use the original remote and channel wires? Just upgrade the ground and 12v feed with a bigger fuse. Fortunately my battery is in the boot now :)

I wouldn’t mount it inside the box for ease of access yeah will have to run a new 12v from battery but it should come with the original instructions so we will see

Right looking at the Andy Mac set up it comes with a rca adapter for the standard head unit I can get these for the rnse but my problem is that’s where the kufatec 36492-1 interface is for the reverse camera is how else can It be done without the rca lead as it’s been 14 years since I wired up a sub and amp

Right looking at the Andy Mac set up it comes with a rca adapter for the standard head unit I can get these for the rnse but my problem is that’s where the kufatec 36492-1 interface is for the reverse camera is how else can It be done without the rca lead as it’s been 14 years since I wired up a sub and amp
@<tuffty/> I know you have one of these any ideas how to wire it without using the rca lead

@<tuffty/> I know you have one of these any ideas how to wire it without using the rca lead
Not sure what you are asking but the line out on the RNS-E is what I use on mine as I use external amps..

From Andy Mac's original instructions...
Non-Bose setup
Screenshot 2018 12 31 at 105112

Bose setup...
Screenshot 2018 12 31 at 105034

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Farmor00 and Tj 0785
So I don’t need to run into the headunit then right ok That clears it up I thought I had to use one of these but I already have the reverse camera going to that port

Attachments

• 21C2F8F3-6AE6-4C6F-A35D-A2C8CA747E18.png
    21C2F8F3-6AE6-4C6F-A35D-A2C8CA747E18.png
    985.8 KB · Views: 89
So I don’t need to run into the headunit then right ok That clears it up I thought I had to use one of these but I already have the reverse camera going to that port
Thats nowt to do with the subwoofer dude... line out is in the quadlock

<tuffty/>

Not sure what you are asking but the line out on the RNS-E is what I use on mine as I use external amps..

From Andy Mac's original instructions...
Non-Bose setup
View attachment 172552

Bose setup...
View attachment 172553

<tuffty/>

Just received it today do you happen to have a copy of the original instructions ?

Also @<tuffty/> did you fit the circuit breaker instead of a fuse for the power for the amp ? As I will be routing it how you have in yours but the inline fuse looks a bit big to fit on the battery tray

Last edited:
Just received it today do you happen to have a copy of the original instructions ?

Also @<tuffty/> did you fit the circuit breaker instead of a fuse for the power for the amp ? As I will be routing it how you have in yours but the inline fuse looks a bit big to fit on the battery tray

pdf attached...

I used a circuit breaker on mine as I had one from a previous install

<tuffty/>

Attachments

• AMSS_8L_Installation_Manual.pdf
    723.4 KB · Views: 395