The Much loved s3

Ryan s3

Reaction score
The mrs is after a new car as the S3 as much as I adore it keeps costing a fortune.

We are looking at the newer model like 2010 s3.

I personally prefer th 8l and would honestly want to keep it.

As it is at the moment the car looks great and has no know faults and in my opinion looking pretty mint.

Please use the classifieds to sell

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we all have 8ls you will be better of asking in the 8p section how reliable they are

Tuffty, you are obviously a very knowledgeable guy. What is your opinion on the TFSI model ?

I am biased as I like the 20v... ;)

...you can get more power a little easier on the TFSi's but then its a 2ltr and has what is essentially the hybrid turbo we 8L guys use...

But... the engine is not known for its mechanical reliability... oil pumps (circa 1500 quid all in) are a weak point, the inlet valves coke up as they don't get washed off with fuel due to being direct injection... the thrust bearings are known to wear as you have to start a cold dry engine with the clutch in etc...

Its a bit of a ****** to work on but.... most of these issues can be worked around tbh and the chassis handles really rather well... the quattro cars are heavy, tuned TFSI's surge like a steam train but in fairness they are a nice place to be...

Bill has recently done a big turbo build on an 8P S3... using an AET 3076 and a full engine build... was not cheap as it needed a new oil pump amongst over things but was quite impressive non the less...

Not that it would sway me to swap from my 8L of course :)

<tuffty/>

It’s just I’m in 5k repair bills now and it’s still pretty standard.
I do like the car tho

8P is a nice car... was sorely tempted to sell mine at one point and get a 2011 black edition with DSG...

<tuffty/>

I was tempted to get a 8p s3 it was between that and a r32 and a “sensible” family car like a s4 v8 avant! but after looking in to it more I went for the r32 not as common on the road as the s3 not as many common issues and cheaper to run than the s4 fuel cost , the r32 can be a good daily family car and my toy when I kick the wife and kids out and it turns heads when you put ya foot down

Ok, Thanks for the advice. My I share the car with my mrs and only drive it on days off work etc.
It’s just not reliable enough for her as a daily drive and the school run.

Be really sad to see it go, I’d love to keep it and really go to town on some big power

Buy a second car mate... its the S3 way ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Stuart B and Tj 0785
For what you would get for it keep as your toy and build it up over time and get another to keep the misses happy then you both win

you always need to have a second car with an Audi. Audi should really make Axle stands, ramps and socket sets - they would double their profits