FIS Controller

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Morning gents,

So I’m fitting my FIS Controller is bough from NIGE28 and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve plugged it in as guided and coded it accordingly. But no join, my Stalk isn’t doing anything at all. Can anyone lend some advice?

Instrument cluster has been coded to 17444, originally was 01444 as be instructions it needs to be higher than 16000 so you add that amount to the existing value.

My adaption is to the value of 15 which enables the DIS to display the satnav, telefonics, etc.

But still nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also getting the fault code coming up -

01302 - Control Module for Telematic (J499)
49-00 - No Communications

Reading the instructions further....

When an satnav and phone module is already installed the top 2 lines on the DIS will no be usable by the FIS Controller but the lower lines are. When these devices are installed you can use the CAN bus and no further coding is necessary as the value of channel 62 is already at 15.

Soon as I unplug the FIS Controller everything works fine but I still get the fault code 01302 like in my above post.

In theory the FIS Controller should still work even with the RNS-E, A3 8P Bluetooth module, A5 multifunctional steering wheel. Hmmmmmm....

I cant believe that the FIS Controller is knackered as I bought it from a fellow member, there must be something I’m missing?

@warren9022 you are a wizard sir! All working thanks for saving my bacon again.

Reactions: warren9022
Ah.... so it’s malfunctioning like a basterd! The second I put it all in and cluster screwed the screens all over the place, I think there must be a faulty wire somewhere, flickering and showing half pictures

Make sure the plugs are in the back of the cluster properly and also in the loom

<tuffty/>

Make sure the plugs are in the back of the cluster properly and also in the loom

<tuffty/>

Checked all that mate, I thought it might be something like that. But now it’s not working at all again, and that’s all cabling plugged in but loose so no pressure or strain is on the plugs. Hope it’s not internal!

If it is the wiring that’s causing the screen to malfunction, swapping intermittently between things and then freezing the stalk control.... any ideas which it would be, I’ll start removing the fabric tape and inspect all the cables and pins

Right it’s ok everyone, I’ve narrowed it down to the connector that controls the stalk. Going to trace down the wires and re-pin them. Happy days, thanks for your helpings

Right..... basically the unit looks like it’s knackered from what I can tell. It’s not communicating properly. All the wiring is correct and pins make contact. It will work sometimes and then the DIS goes crazy and then locks into navigation showing compass direction, the stalk buttons don’t work once it gets there.

I’ve looked through the FIS-Control forum and no one has suffered this issue before.

I can’t believe it’s down to the fact I have the various things running because the FIS Controller is designed to work along side everything as a separate entity.

As you can imagine, I’m far from impressed! Was really looking forward to finishing the car off with this.

Unless someone is able to recognise what the issue is and rectify it, I’m going to sulk in the corner haha

Stefan who is mr FIS is pretty good at answering in the english forum dude... might be worth and ask

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3AMJ
Stefan who is mr FIS is pretty good at answering in the english forum dude... might be worth and ask

<tuffty/>

Yeah I think that’s my next step mate. These things are sent to try us huh!

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I’ve spoken to Stefan, he’s been very helpful. Apparently the FIS-Controller still works even though nothing shows up on screen. So I have to hold the down button on the stalk while turning the ignition on, this will put the controller in configuration mode. It should then allow me to change it from Nav/3LB to Telematic/3LB. Which will stop it interfering with the RNS-E messing up the display. In configuration mode it’ll also show me the current firmware version installed. This is where an Android phone pays off, you can download an app and update the software remotely via Bluetooth. However I’ll have to do this with my laptop instead.

I’ll keep you updated when I’ve done it just incase someone else runs into the same issue. Won’t be for a couple weeks now though, unfortunately work is more important than my car

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Aaaahhhh... yeah I recall something about that... pretty sure mine was set to telematics now you come to mention it

http://www.fis-control.de/manual.html#c37

From my build thread...
I then coded the dash to allow use of the DIS...
Module 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+02 - Telefon
+04 - Navigation
+08 - Telematics

I used 01 + 04 + 08 = 13 to softcode as this allows the DIS to display the radio/track etc, navigation and 08 because FIS Control is coded as telematics

...sorry dude if I had thought of it I would have said..

<tuffty/>

Aaaahhhh... yeah I recall something about that... pretty sure mine was set to telematics now you come to mention it

http://www.fis-control.de/manual.html#c37

From my build thread...

...sorry dude if I had thought of it I would have said..

<tuffty/>

It’s all good mate, I honestly thought I was going mad and in my manic effort and frustration getting it to work previous, I’ve scratched the hell out of my top steering wheel shroud think I’ll be standing this down and plastidipping it back to good health once I’ve got the FIS-Controller installed for reallllll.

I’ll re-code the FIS-Controller from Nav to Telematics and change instruments channel 62 like you’ve suggested from 15 to 13.

Just got to wait now for a couple weeks before I can work on the car again.... roll on getting it on the road next spring!!

It’s all good mate, I honestly thought I was going mad and in my manic effort and frustration getting it to work previous, I’ve scratched the hell out of my top steering wheel shroud think I’ll be standing this down and plastidipping it back to good health once I’ve got the FIS-Controller installed for reallllll.

I’ll re-code the FIS-Controller from Nav to Telematics and change instruments channel 62 like you’ve suggested from 15 to 13.

Just got to wait now for a couple weeks before I can work on the car again.... roll on getting it on the road next spring!!

When doing my wheel at weekend I noticed my scratched to hell top part is £28 bottom part isn’t available anymore

I think you will need 15 to have telephone display in the DIS

<tuffty/>

When doing my wheel at weekend I noticed my scratched to hell top part is £28 bottom part isn’t available anymore

Cheers TJ! That’s really good to know, I’ll just buy a new one to save the hassle and mismatch in colour

It’s the trim bit I need previous owners must of been blind key marks all around the ignition

I think you will need 15 to have telephone display in the DIS

<tuffty/>

Ahhh, so I’ll leave it at 15 and hopefully changing the FIS-Controller from Nav to Telematic will sort the conflict on the screen. I wonder if it’s set to use Nav channels by default.

It’s the trim bit I need previous owners must of been blind key marks all around the ignition

Yeah I’ve got that as well bud! Will have to keep an eye out for a good secondhand one