It had to happen sometime...

hendo#1

Reaction score
My S3 has let me down for the first time in nearly 4 years ownership

As I sit here in the middle of nowhere (AA en-route) can anyone shed any light on the following 3 fault codes? Taken using my generic cheap ebay code reader -

Car will start, but run lumpy and does not respond to the throttle pedal. Fault came out of nowhere. EPC and engine managemant light both lit.

Thanks.

17987/P1579/005497 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Adaptation Not Started
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) not performed
Possible Solutions
Perform Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)

17953/P1545/005445 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
Increased Idle Speed
Bucking at Load Change
Possible Causes
Throttle Body dirty
Throttle Body Wiring faulty
Throttle Body faulty
Obstructions in intake air passages
Possible Solutions
Clean Throttle Body
Check Throttle Body Wiring
Check Throttle Body
Check for any obstructions in the intake air path. Including but not limited to the air box inlet, air filter, hoses to/from the MAF and intake manifold in addition to turbocharger (or similar) components when applicable.
Special Notes
Use Meas. Blocks & Basic Setting for testing
When found in the NAR 2.0l TFSI: (BPY, CCTA and CBFA) check TSB 01-09-04 or 2018652 for a wiring repair at the Throttle Body.
See Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)

Couldn't find 17966 on Ross-tech site but found the following description

17966 - Throttle Actuator (G186): Electrical Malfunction

Update. So I unplugged the throttle body and then re-plugged it.

This gave the car a lumpy 2000RPM idle speed, but more importantly it would now register throttle movements.

So I managed to drive it the 20 miles home. Drives perfectly normally except for anything less than 2000RPM.

EPC light did not come back but engine light and ESP light are permanently lit.

I run 50/50 meth/water post intercooler. Ive read this can damage throttles bodies.

I’ll get it booked into my local indy tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: Alex C
throttle bodies are two a penny on eBay tbh mate... any DBW 1.8t one will do... £20-£50 ish

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hendo#1
Tuffty,

Can you just confirm that *any* DBW 1.8t throttle body will do? A3, Golf, Leon etc, they are all suitable, engine codes do not matter in this instance?

Thanks

Tuffty,

Can you just confirm that *any* DBW 1.8t throttle body will do? A3, Golf, Leon etc, they are all suitable, engine codes do not matter in this instance?

Thanks
There are subtle differences on certain models... from memory the Mk4 Ibiza and Polo 9N have a slight different design but should still fit..

That said I would stick to Mk4 Golf AUM, A3 AUM and as long as the price isn't artificially inflated Mk1 TT, S3 8L... there should be loads of AUM ones from various cars... even 1.8t's in Skodas :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: silestanix and hendo#1
Just to update this, it was indeed the throttle body.

Upon opening it up it was damp inside. I have found another thread somewhere on here confirming what I thought it was.

I bought 2 replacements off ebay, both were dry inside. I cleaned both up, fitted 1 and an keeping 1 as a spare.

I splashed out £300 and bought a genuine VCDS cable too (10 VIN limit). It probably amazing for some people that I have had my car 3.5 years and have never needed a VCDS set-up...its just never gone wrong until now.

I've been running water/meth for approx 8000 miles now. The throttle body was maybe on its way out anyways. Who knows, lets see how long this one lasts for.

I think I'm going to start mixing the water/meth 70:30 ish to try and prolong the life of the throttle body a bit more.

Steady now! Posting threads on forums is about as far as my IT skills usually go.

I am however finding it quite interesting learning about it all.

I also have a 14 plate octavia VRS, and from what Ive read there is a lot of thing I can ‘unlock’ on that. Not so much on the old S3.

As a side note, and thinking out loud is it not more likely that the higher boost pressures the throttle body and other components are now seeing is what is causing their early demise? Could the higher pressures be forcing their way out of seals etc, and this is the price we pay?

Im running bills AET hybrid set-up, around 24psi at peak.

Just to update this, it was indeed the throttle body.

Upon opening it up it was damp inside. I have found another thread somewhere on here confirming what I thought it was.

I bought 2 replacements off ebay, both were dry inside. I cleaned both up, fitted 1 and an keeping 1 as a spare.

I splashed out £300 and bought a genuine VCDS cable too (10 VIN limit). It probably amazing for some people that I have had my car 3.5 years and have never needed a VCDS set-up...its just never gone wrong until now.

I've been running water/meth for approx 8000 miles now. The throttle body was maybe on its way out anyways. Who knows, lets see how long this one lasts for.

I think I'm going to start mixing the water/meth 70:30 ish to try and prolong the life of the throttle body a bit more.
make zero difference

Steady now! Posting threads on forums is about as far as my IT skills usually go.

I am however finding it quite interesting learning about it all.

I also have a 14 plate octavia VRS, and from what Ive read there is a lot of thing I can ‘unlock’ on that. Not so much on the old S3.

As a side note, and thinking out loud is it not more likely that the higher boost pressures the throttle body and other components are now seeing is what is causing their early demise? Could the higher pressures be forcing their way out of seals etc, and this is the price we pay?

Im running bills AET hybrid set-up, around 24psi at peak.
We are running these cars outside of the original design parameters... the components will take it but you are obviously reducing its reliability window...

Given the cars age and mods they do pretty well but its easy to forget we are stressing components out more and lets face it VAG won't have designed them with these power levels in mind let alone WMI

Still makes me smile the number of people that get upset when their 500hp 1.8t blows up after spending loads on ARP this and uprated that... its still a mass produced engine fitted to more cars than you can shake a stick at...

Always good to have a few spares and not the first time I have seen a TB fall foul of WMI... it is as you say the price we pay... :)

...and is why I have the A2 and do less than 4k a year in the S3 lol

<tuffty/>

We are running these cars outside of the original design parameters... the components will take it but you are obviously reducing its reliability window...

Given the cars age and mods they do pretty well but its easy to forget we are stressing components out more and lets face it VAG won't have designed them with these power levels in mind let alone WMI

Still makes me smile the number of people that get upset when their 500hp 1.8t blows up after spending loads on ARP this and uprated that... its still a mass produced engine fitted to more cars than you can shake a stick at...

Always good to have a few spares and not the first time I have seen a TB fall foul of WMI... it is as you say the price we pay... :)

...and is why I have the A2 and do less than 4k a year in the S3 lol

<tuffty/>

Completely agree with all of that.

Weve had the first salt down on the roads around here, mine is now in the garage and will be sorned soon.

I have a little citroen nemo for winter use