Adjusting door strike plate?

Jordan427

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my driver's door to shut tighter, but I can't see to adjust the door strike plate, I undo the bolts move the plate over but when I tighten the bolts back up it just goes back to it's original position, am I being really stupid here or what?!

Thanks

Have you tried the adjuster on the lock itself? Had a similar problem with rear door, if you look at the door end you should see the two bolts holding the lock and a rubber bung with a flat slot in it. Remove this and turn very slightly either way till the door shuts smoothly and tight to the frame. Should have a mark on the two parts and if not then biro on your own mark so you can return it to original if needed.
The actual strike bar, as I am sure you have seen, has position marks on it so i would get that right first and then adjust. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, I've just had a look, removed the larger bung above the latch but I think it was just a normal Torx screw behind it, and not anything for adjustment ? Tried turning it anti-clockwise and it just loosened a bit and the door still shut the same, tightened it back up and nipped it up a little and still shut the same way, so not sure if I've got the right one!

20181007 165755

Wrong one, you need the smaller one below it which should have a flat slot on it for adjustment once you prise the cover off.

Hmm okay, I pulled that one off too and whilst only had a quick glance there only looked to be some kind of electrical connection. Will have another look when I next go out. Cheers!

Just popped off the smaller one and there's no flat slot there, just what appears to be a tab for a connection of some kind.

20181008 134702

Ok, not sure what is going on with your door lock, are you sure it is an 8p and not 8L as my 8p drivers door looks like the photo below and you can clearly see the adjuster grommet to the left of the lock bolt. What year is it?

Attachments

• IMG-20181008-00321.jpg
    IMG-20181008-00321.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 320
Is yours a 5 door? That's the only thing i can think as to why it's different

@Jordan427
Afraid I am at a loss then as mine is Sept 04 and I would have thought that your 2005 lock mechanism should be the same as mine. I have had my 8P since new so I know that it has the original lock in situ, is it possible that you may have had a different lock fitted sometime? Perhaps this explains the original problem you have. The only way you will tell is to take the door card off and remove the lock to check the number on it.

The passenger door has the same bung as yours, ie, a little picture of a lock, however what's behind it is the same as the driver's side :(

@jordon427, Yes mine is a 5 door sportback, going back to yours, perhaps the striker plate is the only adjustment for you then. I looked at mine and the marks on the plate are exactly centre to the door marks ( hope that makes sense). I know from experience with the boot lock that the striker plate do not need to be moved very much either way to make a difference to the closing of the door. Perhaps try that again?