:( polished the S3 - spotted loads of rust

Funky_Junky said:
I had one of those when my bumper was being repaired. I didn't get to 60 in the four days I had it.

mines been in since monday - get it back tomorrow.
Had zinc inclusions in paint on door and boot lid.

I'm glad i've been away for 2 days - i don't want to be seen in the polo !!

mordz said:
12 year warrenty is only for bodywork i believe.

Mate - took the car to the stealers today, shouldn't be a problem with the roof gutters, but I also pointed them to the bubbling on the arches on both sides. He tried to pass it off as stone chips, so I said how could stone chips happen almost symmetrically on both sides the car?

He's going to file a report and come back to me next week, although the Audi HQ man may wanna see the car, which will be next Thursday lunchtime.

Fingers crossed :)

Mine is being inspected by the audi inspector on tuesday - quite a fast turn around. i dont expect anything but will let you know

how could i accelerate this rusting process? I could really do with a reapray on the rear wheel arch where it has been scuffed :idea: :eyebrows:

Mordz I wouldnt let it bother you too much, just one of those things. Mine had a similar thing I didnt realise until I'd already clipped the rear wheel arch and the paintwork cracked showing it had been filled before. Was not happy as I also wasnt told of any accident history but thats life! Lesson learnt for next time ;)

woohoo

well chuffed.

Audi just called, the paint inspector has looked at my car and approved both doors and roof gutters to be re sprayed under the warrenty.

Unfortunatly the quater panel that had previosly been filled / sprayed isnt covered but ill pay for that.

Great news :D

Result ! :)

Mine's in the bodyshop as I type... (I've got an A4 Avant Tdi S-line with 300 miles on the clock as a courtesy car (gimme back my S3 !! arg I don't like estates). I'm paying for all the other scratches, stone chips etc. to be fixed and the whole car to be given a good polish etc.

lucky you, im stuck with a skoda fabia 1.2 for a week

Just been down to pick up the dreaded Skoda.. bright red. even worse.

anyways work being done is

Drivers door (even though this has been sprayed, its not been filled) so warreny jobbie

Passenger door (has one tiny zink blister i didnt even see) so warrenty

Roof gutters - all under warrenty.

drivers rear arch. been filled so not covered. - Quoted me £300 to fix

All getting done this week, with full polish after

:) :) :D :D

What a result - I bet you're well chuffed!

I should hear back today if they'll be sorting mine under warranty.....

yeh well chuffed.

the body shop guy was laughing too, said i had done really well out of it.

let us know how you get on fella

Got a result guys -Audi are respraying the roof and both rear arches and quarter panels under warranty. The car is booked in for the end of May.

BUT - I'm then selling my baby due to a new company car, boring, but the offer was too good to refuse. Bit gutted but also happy the car will be issue-free when I sell it. Fingers crossed, my sister may buy it off me, so I'll still see her regularly.

Woo hoo! :)

great news dude. :) whats the company car?

Well, I'm going for an A4 2.7 tdi 183psi Quattro S Line in Pearlescent Black with as many options as I can get away with. I need 'some' luxury after having the S3. Can't wait, and it's fully expense.

very nice,

thought you was going to say a Focus TDCI or summat. :):noway:

Well i got the S3 back from Skoda today (finally got shut of the nasty fabia they had me drive *Shiver*)

They have done a fantastic job, full spray down both sides + roof and new door strips. all polished up and hoovered.

ill post some pix later.

one Q i do have... i know re sprays are never as good a the factory spray.. paarticulaly now i can see slight orange peel where they have done there excelent job... is there anyway i can reduce this with polish? i know im being really pikky but i love my car and want it to look its best.

if you're not happy with it, take it back, i'm sure alot of it they can polish out

I should get mine back tomorrow (a week after I expected it :( )... I had a nice A4 Avant 2.0 TDi S-line (only 350 miles on the clock) for the 1st week it was in.... nice...

This week I've had a Ford Ka :( It's so gutless and cheap it's shocking...... Although I've had some fun with it.... you have to keep the momentum up as there's no acceleration to talk of... so it's become a bit of a challenge :) My S3 will feel like it's a supercar in comparison.

My local stealer luckily only uses Audi courtesy cars, which I'll have some fun with........

When's your car back Blunteh?

oh im extrealmly happy, its a mint job.

If you really look you can see it. i just wondered what aftercare etc i should do to remove?

An the after pix. - let me know what you think

PICT0001.jpg
PICT0002.jpg
PICT0003.jpg
PICT0004.jpg
PICT0005.jpg

spuddie007 said:
My local stealer luckily only uses Audi courtesy cars, which I'll have some fun with........

When's your car back Blunteh?

Yeah the dealer uses only Audi... the Ka is from the Body Shop (non Audi). I *should* get my car back today - early afternoon.. I can't wait, I miss it terribly !

Yours looks great Mordz !

Thanks dude. ill add another pic in a sec

*Edit*

Shame its a dull day but still looks nice

Hmmm aparently mine doesn;t even come out of the oven until 3ish today.... I think that's odd as they've had the car for 2 weeks....

Do they bake a coating over the paint after a polish ? They said the polishing will only take 30 minutes.... it all sounds wrong to me (not that I know).

i thought the paint was baked on and then it was just polished?

Yeah I think you're right.... god knows what they've been playing at for the last 14 days....

Aprently there's another S3 there having the same treatment and the Audi guy got confused, mine was baked at 10am.... ho hum.... it'd better be good ;)

Picked it up and in full excited kiddie mode it looked perfect.

Got home and had a proper look and it's got alot of uneven orange peel bits..... It's going to have to go back.

[Edit] Read a few posts on here and it sounds like this is normal due to the car only having been baked this morning so the paint wasn't hard enough to treat properly. I'm sure the bodyshop will rectify the issue when I make them aware of it. (Cheeky of them to not mention it to me themselves though).

Blunteh said:
[Edit] Read a few posts on here and it sounds like this is normal due to the car only having been baked this morning so the paint wasn't hard enough to treat properly.

Mine is like this too, though hard to see as its black. i spoke to a mate of mine who works in a landrover body shop and he said it will never be the same as factory but you can buff it to a degree to reduce the peel effect. not sure how much truth there is in this.

Mordz... I took my S3 back to the bodyshop and they said they are more than capable of getting the finish right but Audi only pay for a gun finish, no rubbing down or polishing. They said they'd do the bits I paid for myself without any additional cost but the areas covered by Audi would need to be paid for by Audi for them to do the work. I called Audi and they called the bodyshop and then both called me and asked me when I could get the car in for a days rubbing and polishing for free... result.

If you want to get it looking like it did before, have a word mate ;)

The bodyshop manager did originally say that many cars come out of the factory with orange peel effect, I think they (garages, bodyshops, name your proffession) always try and fob us all off initially. If you don't take it they soon accept that they can get a better finish, if they didn't they would effectively be admitting that they are a ***** bodyshop.....

funny that i did go back the other day and they told me the same, tho i would have to pay for the labour to get it spot on.

i also asked for some proof that it had been resprayed under the warrenty since all i got was a reciept for the wheel arch which i had to pay for. they told me they couldnt do this as it was invoiced from audi warrenty to them.

is there anything i can do to get some evidence for when i sell the car.

Ask Audi nicely. They will have it logged on their systems anyway (should!) so you could always ask for a print out of the work. Or, whoever you sell it to, point them in the direction of Audi and they should tell them. Saying that, I have had experiences of some dealers saying cannot say anything due to Data Protection. I checked this with Audi customer service and they said this was nonsense...

had to take mines to audi glasgow (Braehead) today as i found some Zinc blisters just behind the passengers door as it goes onto the the rear arch.

guy was very good and helpfull. he says it should be covered under the warranty and hel get back asap.

fingers crossed

nice one dude, seems to be a fair bit of it about dont there.:arco:

Is this affecting certain years or does it not seem to matter how old or young the vehicle is?

I don't think it's year specific. Although (aparently, according to Audi Reading) more recently Audi has moved to lazer welding which avoids the issue due to cleaner welds.

I finally took my car to Audi, who sent me to the body shop they use (pentagon in Hatfield) Showed him the rusty bits on edge of roof. He told me because other parts of the car had been resprayed (front wing, bonnet) not by Audi, that my warranty was void for all paint / rust etc. Have you boys ever heard this excuse, or is he trying to pull a fast one? He was meant to call me back about a week ago but hasn't bothered.

Gav