SymphonyII+ and iPod Integration

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Anyone know if the SymphonyII+ can actually display tracks etc and control the iPod?

The old Symphony only displayed playlists, right?

Symphony II+ ipod conrtols (factory fit) offers no more than before.
You can label your top 5 playlists and select them via the stereo, selecting the 6th just drops the selector to the first track in your music library.
You can however select the album you want, and then plug it in and listen to that.
You can't see track names, just track 1, track 2 etc.

I had a rant about this an earlier post, for £170 or whatever it cost it doesn't really offer much!
Still, happy to be able to listen to anythig I want in the car, so can't moan to much!!!!

JK

The problem is that they still use the CD changer socket, which of course doesn't support anything except basic audio stuff. :( If it had, I would have specced it, but with a 6 disc MP3 changer I've got about 90 albums permanently loaded anyway so don't really need the hassle of carrying an iPod as well.

I was going to spec this but its functionality is a joke.

The Dension can be had for less than a ton and you can have your Ipod mounted nicely on your dash if you want and monitor the Ipod display still and even control the Ipod manually or through the stereo or MFSW.

The Audi version locks the Ipod so this is not possible.

MarcQuinlivan said:
You want to get yourself a Phatnoise.

20GB, unlimited playlists and voice menus. Much better than the ipod option in my view.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing!!!!

In defence I like the Audi iPod solution. I know it does not display the track info, unlike MP3 cd's played in the head unit, and you are limited to play lists. However there is no evidence that there is an iPod in the glovebox, unlike having iPod mount on the dashboard, the install is very neat (normal Audi standard). And whats the alternative, a CD changer, 6 CD's and no track info either, iPod all the way for me.

MarcQuinlivan said:
You want to get yourself a Phatnoise.

20GB, unlimited playlists and voice menus. Much better than the ipod option in my view.
Yeah the Phatnoise does look like a quality piece of kit, and it's cheap to source from the States too.

Another Audi option is the RNS-E sat nav of course. It has two SD card slots for MP3s (which support any size SD card) and it plays MP3s and playlists really well. The only negative is that the maximum number of files and folders you can have on each card is 512, so you can't have more than 1024 tracks in the car at any one time.

Phatnoise can also be connected to the RNS-E too.