S3 & Advanced Key

Chris.D

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 66-17 plate S3 and was looking for some thoughts on a quick matter. My current car has keyless start (push button), so the minimum at the moment is for this new car to have that. The problem is I am having some trouble finding any that have this spec'd around my budget, which is around 27k. Even going up to the 30k area they seem pretty far and in between. I'm quite aware that not much is included as standard on many of these cars but I must admit I'm pretty surprised that on a (fairly) recent and decent car such as these that this isn't standard. There is however a few cars around said budget that I really like, albeit they don't have the advanced key. Has anyone got any other experiences and seen a lot of them with the advanced key and I've just picked a bad couple of months to search, or is it unlikely I am going to get one with the advanced key. I understand that this can be part of one of the tech packs which may mean it's out of my budget, in which case I may have to just bite the bullet. If there's a compelling reason as to why the usual key method is preferred to some of you I'd be interested to know that too.

All thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think it is included with any of the packs. I believe it is an extra in its own right.
Many on here consider it to be a serious security issue.

I have the advanced key and wouldn't be without it, however I think the majority see it as a security risk and so would advise against it. As long as your car is garaged on a night then to me it's one of the first ticks in the options boxes.
Cars with good spec don't hang around long but do come up if your prepared to travel. You might pay a slight premium for a highly spec'd model but more likely will find it difficult to obtain a decent discount when haggling.
I bought my Audi approved 15 plate S3 sportback back in Feb 2017 it was up at £27.5k and had £11k of options on it, so you will find one if you wait

I couldn’t be without it. So much easier keeping key in pocket and never having to take it out especially as I have a lot of stuff on me. Most people didn’t spec due to security.

Had the AK on my PFL A3 but don’t on my FL S3 as I took a stock car - I have to say I do miss it, it’s a very convenient option. The security issue for me I wasn’t bothered about, that’s why we have insurance and there are ways to combat the risk, or lower it at least.

AK is a security risk which is perhaps why not many spec'd it. I have it but on the 4 you can turn off auto opening doors which I have done.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thanks all for getting back to me. Many of you have confirmed what I thought about going from keyless to key, but it looks like this is something I may just have to accept if there isn't many with keyless about. In light of this I have one more question, there's a couple of cars I quite like and would be interested in but aren't 100% sure on the automatic headlight and rain sensors. Are they fitted as standard on the facelift cars, I called one dealer asking about this and she said according to the spec sheet the car had automatic headlights but not rain sensors, however I called a second dealer and he was pretty confident that if it has the headlights it will have the sensors (and subsequently checked and confirmed the car he had did have both). I would normally just go see his car but its an extra 100 miles away from the other one, which is already 120 miles from me. I'm really interested in the first car so would just like to know if they are standard and the lady just hasn't had both listed on the spec sheet?

Thanks!

I can’t speak specifically for FL, but on pre-FL High Beam Assist was a separate option - not included in any of the packs.
I think wipers were part of comfort pack.
If it’s FL you are interested in, just down load a brochure - it’s all in there.

Rain and auto headlights are standard on the FL.

Having been used to it on 4 previous cars, keyless is the biggest single thing I miss on this my first Audi. I know it shouldn't be but it is such a chore having to take the fob out of my pocket to open the doors then contending with finding the hole to insert the big bulky key, which is not easy at night when the ignition barrel does not light up.
On a car of this status keyless should be standard and not a £400 option, so I'm sorry but I just don't accept that it has been put on the options list for security reasons.

Reactions: Mythos
Thanks again for all your help. I've been really taken back by how many things are an extra, it's really quite impressive. Regardless, today I have bought one. Looking at your avatar TYb it looks very similar to yours, at least externally.

Thanks all for your help and input, hopefully I'll be a more active member on these forums in the coming future.

Reactions: TYb and -Ju-
Thanks again for all your help. I've been really taken back by how many things are an extra, it's really quite impressive. Regardless, today I have bought one. Looking at your avatar TYb it looks very similar to yours, at least externally.

Thanks all for your help and input, hopefully I'll be a more active member on these forums in the coming future.
Nice one, what did you end up getting?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

On a car of this status keyless should be standard and not a £400 option, so I'm sorry but I just don't accept that it has been put on the options list for security reasons.

I don’t think anyone said that Audi had it as an option for security reasons. I would say just to make a bit extra from those who like it and want it.

I don’t think anyone said that Audi had it as an option for security reasons. I would say just to make a bit extra from those who like it and want it.
It should be standard....no question about it.
I have seen many people perhaps attempting to justify why they do not have it on security grounds, but I think the real reason why Audi have not made it standard as you say purely for financial reasons, because they know it is a very desirable feature and people will (grudgingly) pay for it.
The overall majority would rather have a full keyless system than not....and it makes no difference to that majority if a few posts after this state that they do not like it and do not want it.

I don't know where I stand on if I would want to have it or not. Of course I can see the perks of why it's useful. Especially if you have one of those cars where you can open the boot by waving your foot around under it.

However if it becomes standard then I think factory orders need a way to deselect the option and preferably existing cars need a way of disabling it.

However if it becomes standard then I think factory orders need a way to deselect the option
What about the multitude of cars that have keyless as standard at this price point and actually much less.....do you think they are losing orders because of it.
They are not, so why would Audi be any different.
I do agree that a way of temporarily turning off the radio signal from the fob would be a good thing though.

Reactions: Pook
I had keyless on my TT and didn’t realise how much I’d miss it when not specking it on the S. Makes life easier when loading and unloading.

Reactions: Pook
Got this on both my cars and would not spec a car without it. I know there is a "security" risk however if the scumbags want your car they will take it keyless or not. Would rather the scum stick a big aerial near the window of the house than break in looking for the keys.

Reactions: Mythos, Pook and Timi8888
The above is right, there's been many posts on here where people have had S3 stolen by scum breaking and entering for the keys. I can't remember reading any where the keyless has been compromised. If keyless was as bigger risk as the tabloid papers make out you'd expect websites like confused, money supermarket etc to make you declare it when you apply for an insurance quote.

Thanks Ju, it's an auto sportback in Navarra blue, and it has the pano roof as well. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly and I can pick it up on Friday! I've had a really positive experience so far with the dealer, who are based in Wakefield, and when I've taken possession of the car and had it for a couple weeks will happily recommend them if anybody needs a good dealer in the area.

Having been used to it on 4 previous cars, keyless is the biggest single thing I miss on this my first Audi. I know it shouldn't be but it is such a chore having to take the fob out of my pocket to open the doors then contending with finding the hole to insert the big bulky key, which is not easy at night when the ignition barrel does not light up.

Couldn't agree more, I also think the reversing camera should be standard too, but let's be honest from a business point of view it makes sense to make them a pay option. As much as I think it is wrong we don't get the camera and AK standard on a 35k car...I'm still going to spec both, I guess I'm part of the problem :grinning:

Reactions: Ron240
Thanks Ju, it's an auto sportback in Navarra blue, and it has the pano roof as well. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly and I can pick it up on Friday! I've had a really positive experience so far with the dealer, who are based in Wakefield, and when I've taken possession of the car and had it for a couple weeks will happily recommend them if anybody needs a good dealer in the area.
Bought all 3 of my S3's from there and never had any issues.
They even took all the coilovers and arbs off my last S3 for free when I traded it!

Reactions: NevMan
Never ever would l have keyless entry on a S3 never.....
All those options on your car Jassy and you've still got to take the keys out of your pocket........what a ball ache lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Having had this on my two previous cars (Golf GTI, Megane 265) I had to spec the keyless. I had to sacrifice a few other options like electric folding mirrors and Acc to get the things I really wanted (Stronic, Comfort & Sound, Black Edition - Company Car) but knew I would really miss the keyless.

I'm sure it was an option on the Golf and Megane but considering my very well specd GTI was 28k new, having a 1.5 TFSI with not as many options for just shy of 33k is a hard pill to swallow!