A4 3.0 TDI pending purchase

texxaco

Reaction score
Hi All,

Since i am looking to purchase an A4 3.0 TDI Avant s Line i was hoping that your knowledge would be able to help me with an understanding on the best options going forward.

I have never owned a diesel Audi, only the much abused BMW 3 series and a Alfa Romeo GTV. I know have to grow up due to becoming a dad soon, hence the alfa is no good for child seats.

I dont want a BMW :noway:, look horrible and i think they are over rated also.

Gimme an Audi any day, just which one at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Pete

Lots of the Audi options can be retro fitted later so its all dependant on what you like really. Dont pay Audi money for the Sat Nav, it can be purchased and installed quite easily for a quarter of the cost.

If I had the money and was buying new I think I'd be inclined to go for the 2.0TDi S-line special edition though.

Hi Sinny,

I thought as much on the upgrades as they do seem to be on the excessive side.
Do you have any knowledge on the 2.0 engine as i have read some horror stories of them be hammered to get any sort of performance and also very noisy indeed.

One other question, i have been advised not to go with the qautro option as its prone to problems. Is this true?

Cheers for your time and info

Pete

Its worth just going through the options and see what you want first. Then have a look round the forums here and see whats been retro fitted. Sat Nav is the biggest one though, save yourself £1500 and retro fit.

Quattro is a must though if you ask me. I have a 1.9 130 remapped to about 170bhp and in 2 wheel drive you cant put all the power down. Not sure who said they were prone to problems but they are rock solid.

I recently had a 2.0 A3 Sportback S-line for 10 days and I have to admit it was far more noisy than my A4. Not sure whethr it was a 140 or 170 version but I thought it was a 140 as it was slower than mine but someone else on here had the car after me and was told it was a 170. Either way the remap must account for mine being quicker.

The 3.0 will be a very rapid car but I'd imagine you'd be best getting a quattro if you go for the bigger engine. I dont think there is a Special edition 3.0 though.

No special edition on the 3.0. Oh i thought Audi would have put it through the range. I might have to rethink the 3.0 and go for the 2.0 and get it chipped. will doing this make it a noisier engine than i have previously ben led to believe?
Its definatley the avant though, diesel engine but unsure of the way forward on trim against engine size?

I have heard so many bad things about the gearboxs breaking down and the after service at Audi being all but useless at fixing the issues. Is this true?

Cheers for the info, cant wait to order.

Not sure who you've been listeningto mate but I'm not sure they really know what they are taling about.

My 1.9 TDi (130) has been remapped and its no noisier at all. The throttle response is much better, is a lot better to drive, and of course a lot quicker. Fuel consumption is also up and I'm seeing about 600 miles to a tank.

My 04 car has covered almost 93k and the gearbox still feels as good as the 3k Sportback I had last week. In fact I have no heard anyone mentioning a failure of the gearox.

Customer Service I find is very good and I think most people on here would agree. However there are exceptions to every rule and I'm sure there are some with bad experiences. But no more that any other comparable manufacturer.

All I'd suggest is to go in and drive a 2.0 S-line Special Edition back to back with a 3.0 S-line (if they are the models you are looking at) and see which you prefer.

If you can afford it though, quattro is a must. IMO

I have read so much on the A4 that it seems everyone has there own opinion especially in the press. This bad there, that bad here.

Thats one of the main reasons that i registered with this excellent forum, better to speak with the people that own the machines than listen to some upstart of a journalist.

I live in Chester which has a Audi main dealer. I will do as you say and try and drive them back to back.
With the qauttro, does it really aid the driveability on a 2.0 TDi or is it more relevant once you have had the car remapped?

Cheers Sinny, appreciate your feedback

I can only speak from my experience with my car really which has been remapped to somewhere in the region of 170. If I boot it, it will spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd if I'm not careful, and in the damp it has spun in third too. I doubt the 2.0 140 will have a problem in standard form but am not sure about the 170..??

I still dont know if the A3 I had was a 170 but that didn't have a problem spinning the wheels. I'm sure that following a remap it certainly would though. Dont get me wrong, its not doing it every time I put my foot down, just when I get over enthusiastic at times.

In all honesty the lack of quattro is the only thing I regret about my car, the next one will be a quattro.

Thats me sold on the qauttro option for sure. I am leaning toward the 170 Tdi S line special edition at the moment with qauttro.

DO you know how hard they are on the insurance? It cant be as bad as my alfa anyway.

Cheers

I've no idea about the insurance mate, sorry. Best thing would be to have a play on something like confused.com and see what the quotes look like based on your own circumstances.

Still worth trying to drive the 2.0 and 3.0 back to back, I'd be interested in how they compare.

I have a 2.5 V6 Tdi Avant in unquattro mode and if I'd known better I would have gone for a quattro too I think you'll be fine with a 3.0 Tdi for power. Mines only 150bhp not the 180 but it seems quick enough (though I have thought of having it remapped)

Cheers for the info guys. Looking at the colour now as it seems that i will going down the quatrro mode for sure although i am still unsure whether to get the 2.0 TDi and then have it remapped or go for the 3.0 TDI.

Is true that the 3.0 TDI only has 10 BHP more than the 2.0TDI and what sort of gains in power are acheivable with a remap?

Cheers for the help

Pete

I have a 1.9tdi (130) also remapped to 170 (REVO). It's hard work with almost 300ft lbs of torque in 2WD.

I also have a S4 Avant which is of course 4WD. This plants the 300+ ft lbs nicely and is a must, IMO. You drive a quattro after a FWD and you'll see why...

Would be interested to hear about the 3.0tdi as it's one I'm interested in buying in exchange for my S4 actually... Fuel consumption is getting me down it must be said...

Sorry should have added, the 2.0tdi comes in at 140 or 170 bhp. The 3.0tdi however comes in at over 200 I recall...
The 3.0 is very quick, c7secs for the 0-62 time, but fuel consumption can be dreadful for a diesel. Have heard stories of low 30's...

I never thought that the economy on the 3 would have been so poor. Willl have to find out for sure. How do you find the 1.9 now that you have had it remapped from 140 to 170, how is the fuel economy for you?

Never better to be honest.
Had it remapped the week I bought it, and have consistently got over 500miles on the tank, with a heavy foot. Driving Miss Daisy (i.e. the missus) I get almost 600 (usually get 590).

It sounds the same, is quicker all round, and as was said above you have to be careful in the wet, in 1st/2nd as you will spin the wheels or slide round roundabouts, which is fine in RWD but not in FWD !!

I have the B6 model so started life as 130bhp and 240ft lbs. REVO costs c£400 and takes it to 170 bhp and 280ft lbs torque

Cheers for the info Stoaksey, that sounds like the ideal solution to my problem of which model to buy. My other half is the same as yours (Slow down its not a race type) but hey that is why we buy these cars, to feel alive and also to put the new addition to the family in of course.
If the B7 2.0 TDI is 170bhp what will a remap take it too? Will it also improve the drive ability?

Have you tried the 3.0 yet? its going to cost you about £165 over 12,000 a year in fuel. It torque that makes a car go. 450 Nm for the 3.0 and 350 Nm for the 2.0. oh and think it sounds a lot better.

I read earlier that firms are looking to take the 170 up to c210bhp? The torque should be well over 300 as well, which is where the main difference will be felt.
210bhp is nice, but anything approaching or exceeding 300ft lbs is bewdiful... Really plants you in the seat when you accelerate.

The main thing with disels is that you 'generally' drive around between stand still and 3-4,000 revs, which is where the diesel engines excel. Petrol engines are also fine hear but to perform best they need to rev up towards the redline, which is where all the fuel gets burnt...

Definitely gonna have to try the 2.0 (170) and the 3.0 for myself though

In-A3 how have you managed to work out the difference in fuel consumption over 12000 miles? I am torn with the two options, on the one hand i want to keep the fuel economy up as its will be my work car but on the other i want to have a nice big engine as i am used to 2.5 Bmw engines. (Apologies for the swearing there)

On other forums and reviews i haver read that the 2.0 TDI is very noisy and that the 3.0 is a dream to listen to.

Does the 3.0 engine change the way that the vehicle drives and handles due to the extra weight though?

The best thing t do is try the 2 back to back mate. The 2.0 I have driven sounded like a transit van I must admit, nowhere near as quiet as my 1.9.

I think the 3.0 will undoubtedly be a better car but its not just the fuel costs that make a difference. The 3.0 quttro is 3k more expensive than the 2.0 in similar spec, or it was last time I looked. You cant get the ltd edition in the 3.0 and it would cost a few more quid to spec it to a similar level.

Like I said, drive them back to back and see which one you prefer, then work out if the costs balance up.

I think even the 2.0 170 will have torque figures to match the 2.5 BMW motors.

Off the top of my head it includes; Black optic pack, black headlining, 2 tone volterra leather, 18" wheels, alcantara on the steering wheel and handbrake and Dis as well as the other S-line goodies.

They may be more but cant think of any.

TEXXACO I HAVE A 3.0TDI AVANT REMAPPED TO 286HP 540NM AND I GET BETWEEN 450 AND 500 DRIVING LOCAL I BOUGHT THE CAR IN CORNWALL AND I LIVE IN SCOTLAND 580 MILE TRIP ON A TANK SITTING BETWEEN 80 AND 90 ALL THE WAY HOME ,EVERY TIME I GET OUT OF THE CAR IT BRINGS A SMILE TO MY FACE ,MY MATES GOT A 170 AND ITS GOT PLENTY OF POKE BUT ITS NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS THE 3.0 REGARDS ALDO

Sinny71 said:
The best thing t do is try the 2 back to back mate. The 2.0 I have driven sounded like a transit van I must admit, nowhere near as quiet as my 1.9.

Is that comment a joke thought the 2.0 was a little bit more refined than the 1.9 which sounds like a tin of old nuts 'n' bolts. :confused:

Go for the 3.0 no question far better engine.:icon_thumright:

I keep reading the thread title as "A3 4.0 TDI pending purchase".

Moving on....

"A3 4.0 TDI YES PLEASE"
Fuel cost answer

3.0 conbinded mpg 37.2
2.0 conbinded mpg 42.2

12000 miles divide by mpg times 4.54 to get litres used. times .93p fuel price =

£1362.00 -£1200.62 = £161.38

Aldo, that must pull like an absolute monster, and I would imagine pretty quick off the line...

286bhp diesel! It's probably not much slower than an S4 ?!

Cheers for the info guys, i am booked in with the dealers in Chester for a test drive on the 3.0 TDI Avant on Saturday. Not going to bother with the 2.0 TDi now.

I bought my Alfa GTV and instantly wished i had bought the 3.2. Not going down that road again.

Will let you know the outcome.

I know it was like watching paint dry this thread. Appreciate all your help and thoughts.

YOUR RIGHT STOAKSEYA4 PULLS HARD IN EVERY GEAR I GOT IT DEBADGED IT GIVES OTHER CARS A FRIGHT BUT THE BEST THING IS THAT YOU CAN GET A BUZZ OUT OF A OIL BURNER AND PUT A BIT SMILE ON EVERYONES FACE THAT HAS DRIVEN IT, HAD THE AUDI TECH OUT IN IT A FEW WEEKS AGO AND EVEN HE WAS LAUGHING AT THE PERFORMANCE THE CRAZY THING IS THE GUY THAT REMAPPED IT SAID THERE IS A LOT MORE LEFT IN THE ENGINE BUT FOR RELIABLITY HE RUNS THEM AT THESE FIGURES ALL THE BEST ALDO286

Aldo - who did the remap/how much etc etc ? What would you say your 0-60 time was like now (to get a feel for ther improvement)...

EUROTUNE IN GLASGOW HE HAS A 1000HP FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ROLLING ROAD AND DOES ALL THE REMAPS FOR ALL THE GLASGOW AUDI AND BMW DEALERS, HE IS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND AND HE DONE IT FOR £350 WITH A FULL PRINT OUT, AS FOR THE 0-60 ITS HARD TO SAY ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE CAR IS SCARY WHEN YOU GIVE IT STICK ,IT WAS QUICK BEFORE THE REMAP BUT NOW ITS F---ING QUICK, I HAD A IMPREZA FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I WOULD SAY ITS AS QUICK AS IT,AS THE SCOBBY WAS 218HP BUT A LOT LIGHTER BUT THE A4 IS HEAVIER BUT HAS MORE POWER I DONT THINK THERE IS A LOT IN IT, REGARS ALDO286

aldo286 said:
EUROTUNE IN GLASGOW HE HAS A 1000HP FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ROLLING ROAD AND DOES ALL THE REMAPS FOR ALL THE GLASGOW AUDI AND BMW DEALERS, HE IS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND AND HE DONE IT FOR £350 WITH A FULL PRINT OUT, AS FOR THE 0-60 ITS HARD TO SAY ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE CAR IS SCARY WHEN YOU GIVE IT STICK ,IT WAS QUICK BEFORE THE REMAP BUT NOW ITS F---ING QUICK, I HAD A IMPREZA FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I WOULD SAY ITS AS QUICK AS IT,AS THE SCOBBY WAS 218HP BUT A LOT LIGHTER BUT THE A4 IS HEAVIER BUT HAS MORE POWER I DONT THINK THERE IS A LOT IN IT, REGARS ALDO286

are they Audi approved ? was just wondering as you say Audi & BMW use them

aldo286 said:

Dude! Caps Lock between the Left Shift and Tab keys!
Cant. Read. In. ALL CAPS. Hurts. Eyes....

They are not approved as there is no such thing when it comes to a remap, but it does go on its the old story if you are going to tell audi your car is mapped then that is up to you, the remap is invisible i had a audi tech trying to find it on the diagnostic he is a mate and knows the car is remapped , never found anything regards aldo286

Yes - it's funny how many brand new Audi Q7 3.0 TDi's are being re-mapped these days.

Most of them are the dealer's demonstrator models, because Audi are a little embarrassed by the performance in standard form! :)

aldo286 said:
They are not approved as there is no such thing when it comes to a remap, but it does go on its the old story if you are going to tell audi your car is mapped then that is up to you, the remap is invisible i had a audi tech trying to find it on the diagnostic he is a mate and knows the car is remapped , never found anything regards aldo286

u up by glasgow mate ??

Irnbrukid said:
Is that comment a joke thought the 2.0 was a little bit more refined than the 1.9 which sounds like a tin of old nuts 'n' bolts. :confused:
Not at all, I had a A3 2.0 Sportback S-line for 10 days and it sounded like a van. The car had less than 3000 miles on it so I thought maybe something was wrong with it, but others on ASN have said similar about the A3 being loud. Maybe it has less sound proofing than my A4, who knows..?? But I noticed the difference 50 yards own the road. I never said my car was quiet but while in it, it sounds a hell of a lot better than the A3 2.0 I drove.