Nightmare...little help & advise please?

Gary Ho

Reaction score
Got the car 2 weeks ago just before my birthday, swapped it for my Subaru Impreza 2.0 GX N/A
I was prepared I needed to spend a bit of money on it as it was neglected and needed a bit of tlc.

So far I had 2 front window regulators, new lights new front grills, timing belt kit and water pump rear pads...

Now I got someone to fit the rear pads few days ago and they suggested I should really get discs soon too, I got a second opinion today and someone to check the car over...He suggested I need a rear coil spring on driver side, set of front brake pads, and rear discs

Looked on Euro car parts and there’s 4 sets of Front Brake Pads £180 (£120 after discount) and on GSF there is 2 listed (£44.40 after discount) I’m thinking to get both sets from GSF and return the set I don’t need? Rather than forking out for 4 sets at Euro lol

Euros it’s £100 for spring (£70 after discount)
GSF £121 (£72.60 after Discount)

GSF have 3 sets of Rear Discs listed
245mm Solid £51.00 (£30.60 after Discount)
255mm Solid £55.00 (£33.00 after Discount)
288mm Soid £79.00 (£47.30 after Discount)

Euros also have 3 Sets of Pagid rear Discs at the £69.98 255mm Solid (£46.89 after Discount)
£123.98 288mm Solid (£83.07 after Discount)
£131.98 300mm Vented (£88.43 after Discount)

Can I just got for any discs or should I got with pagid as I just had new pagid rear pads?

Reg is GJ55 KWB

Thanks In advance

P.s here’s a pic of the car yesterday after cleaning on a nice day for you to admire :p

Attachments

• 5817AB26-67B7-4AE5-BA52-C66F28CA93B8.jpeg
    5817AB26-67B7-4AE5-BA52-C66F28CA93B8.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 223
You need to find out which size discs are fitted to your car first. ECP can normally pin down which size you have if you give them a call or use their live chat.

Hi Paul, managed to source it thanks to you, what’s your suggestions on the spring situation for me? I can get one from Euro for £68 or £72 from GSF, are they supposed to be replaced in pairs?

It is usual to replace springs in pairs, but I have to admit that I've replaced just one spring on a couple of VAG cars without issue in the past. SE & Sport models have different springs so it's essntial to get the correct fitment for your car. Not a fan of GSF for any parts due to bad experiences with ttem in the past.

Thanks Paul,
Looked on GSF and it says for cars without sport suspension and on Euro says it’s for cars with sport suspension so I guess it will be a safer bet to get the one from euro’s?

Think I might risk it and just do the one...keep throwing money at it at the moment lol

The red spring looks aftermarket to me so a complete unknown.
According to the compatibilty chart the second set doesn't fit 2005 A4 Cab. Think you'd have to ask the seller if they can confirm as ebay fitment charts aren't always accurate.

Unfortunately I'm not really up on the Cabrolet, but I do know it doesn't share some of the Saloon & Avant parts.
I would of thought the Sachs spring listed for your reg on ECP would be the safest bet.

Thanks Paul, eBay seller confirmed they would fit but seems a bit cheap for the pair.

I went on the parts request page here earlier and had the price of £86 posted, guess I’ll go with that to eliminate the hassle

If you use the MAY75 promotion code at the checkout on ECP it brings the price down to £70ish

Thanks mate that’s a huge saving but thinking about it more and more...its a bit risky isn’t it lol, I’m so worried if it’s not right then Id be paying even more to get it rectified, says in the info bit always replace in pairs...why are cars such a pain...