To wax or not to wax

Muttley75

Reaction score
Having spent the best part of Easter Monday claying, polishing then waxing my #%*¥!! solid black A3 it got me wondering - do I really need to wax?

I know the purists will scream blasphemy but here are my reasons for and against, and on balance I’m beginning to question whether it’s worth the time and bother on a daily driver:

Pros:
1. It looks a bit slicker than just applying polish

Cons:
1. It takes ****** ages

2. It’s supposed to protect the paint but in the 25 years I’ve been driving this is the first car I’ve ever bothered applying a wax after polishing yet I’m not seeing any better protection of my paint work for my efforts.

3. Longevity. I wash my car weekly and as such it washes the wax off within 4-5 weeks. Water seems to bead just fine after a polish with Autoglym SRP or PB Black Hole, so again why bother to wax?

4. Depending on the brand, most leave a streaky haze on my black paint which is annoying in sunlight. It looks like someone polished it with Vaseline at times, despite my best efforts buffing the wax off. I’m using Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax. I’ve tried Autoglym EGP but find that only lasts about two washes. I do really like the finish of the DoDo Juice wax but again find that the longevity isn’t great (4-5 weeks).

5. Most waxes tend to add a gloopy texture which attracts dust, which then tends to stick in it. Dust/grit/sand/pollen doesn’t tend to stick so much to a polished surface.

So given the primary reason for using a wax is to protect the paint, which I find questionable and given it can look just as good with Black Hole as it does with a wax... is it really needed/worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having spent the best part of Easter Monday claying, polishing then waxing my #%*¥!! solid black A3 it got me wondering - do I really need to wax?

I know the purists will scream blasphemy but here are my reasons for and against, and on balance I’m beginning to question whether it’s worth the time and bother on a daily driver:

Pros:
1. It looks a bit slicker than just applying polish

Cons:
1. It takes ****** ages

2. It’s supposed to protect the paint but in the 25 years I’ve been driving this is the first car I’ve ever bothered applying a wax after polishing yet I’m not seeing any better protection of my paint work for my efforts.

3. Longevity. I wash my car weekly and as such it washes the wax off within 4-5 weeks. Water seems to bead just fine after a polish with Autoglym SRP or PB Black Hole, so again why bother to wax?

4. Depending on the brand, most leave a streaky haze on my black paint which is annoying in sunlight. It looks like someone polished it with Vaseline at times, despite my best efforts buffing the wax off. I’m using Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax. I’ve tried Autoglym EGP but find that only lasts about two washes. I do really like the finish of the DoDo Juice wax but again find that the longevity isn’t great (4-5 weeks).

5. Most waxes tend to add a gloopy texture which attracts dust, which then tends to stick in it. Dust/grit/sand/pollen doesn’t tend to stick so much to a polished surface.

So given the primary reason for using a wax is to protect the paint, which I find questionable and given it can look just as good with Black Hole as it does with a wax... is it really needed/worth it?
I think you've answered your own question mate
But you've not mentioned paint preparation, as this is far more important than applying wax, and stop polishing your car it's not necessary, dodo juice lime prime light and then use Fusso coat and it'll last the best part of a year
Fusso coat 12 months wax dark1

Last edited by a moderator:
Have heard about Fusso but is it really any better than the others I’ve tried?

Have heard about Fusso but is it really any better than the others I’ve tried?

For beading and durability its unsurpassed and it flies off the shelves, remember to use it conjuction with a cleanser/primer,prior as it will last much longer than not using a primer, this kit contains paraffin in its blend which gives awesome beading and durability

Interesting, I may just give it a go. Although I have three pots/bottles of other brands of wax which are only 10% used (and each cost north of £25) that need using up (or discreetly lobbed in the bin) to avoid the mrs going mental

Reactions: NevMan
1. If it's streaky you are applying too much.

2. For durability (and great results) nothing beats Collinite.

Is your car parked outside? If so claying and polishing will have to be done at least twice a year. On the wax front, quality carnauba waxes will last about 2- 3 months. Carnauba mixed with polymers may last up to 6 months. If you car is parked in a garage a yearly claying, polishing, wax and then waxing every 4 months will give you a very nice finish. This is based on a weekly wash also. The difference in a garaged car and not is huge into atmospheric contaminants issues, especially in a city environment.
I am still a firm believer in the above processes for a gloss finish to die for and if you do not want to be bothered with the labour, the nano ceramic coatings may be a good choice.
Also the streaky comment addressed above is probably due to too much wax and the wax not drying, or incorrect polishing and you have to buff with microfibre cloths

Last edited:
It’s garaged every night. Regarding the streaks, it’s more of a haze. I’m definitely not putting too much on and I am buffing with a Microfibre. Just to clarify the only two waxes I have which leave an immovable haze are the Bilt Hamber and ArmourShield. EGP leaves nothing behind but doesn’t last long at all. Ditto DoDo Juice. The Bilt Hamber and ArmourShield are however, pretty good on the wife’s white car.

Is the haze there after a machine polish, prior to the wax being applied?

Edit just re-read your last post and I am not familiar with either waxes. Ditch those and get a pure carnauba wax.
Also do not get all bothered about water beading. It has nothing to do with gloss finish.

Last edited:
No, it’s never been machine polished and it only happens with one or two particular waxes which I think are probably better suited to light colours.

A machine polish will make a huge difference to the paint/clearcoat finish , prior to waxing.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have something very very similar to this kit and it's best things/buy l have made and l can't stop using it, it's a ****** awesome piece of kit to start off with in the machine polishing world and it has transformed my cars paint
Screenshot 20180402 182142

Reactions: sixlargebeers
Jessy - I'm just about to press the button on the DAS 6 Pro plus with the Scholl kit as you recommended.
Will report back once the weather improves enough to start using it.
Is there any particular reason you went with the Scholl kit ?

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Muttley75 maybe worth trying a spray sealant? Spray on, wipe off. So quick you can do it as often as you like.
Far easier l admit, dodo juice Red Mist is a good yin, l applied dodo purple Haze over the top of Exo2 when it began to diminish without any problems in conjuction with lime prime lite

Reactions: scotty76
Hi Jassy - got the Das 6 pro plus with Scholl kit from in2detailing as you recommended. Not been warm enough to try it till now.
Guinea pig will be the kids' 11 year old VW Fox as opposed to my Daytona S3 :)
I am a total novice mate - can you advise what pads go with which Scholl polish in the kit for swirl removal and polish/wax application ?
Cheers buddy.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Hi Jassy - got the Das 6 pro plus with Scholl kit from in2detailing as you recommended. Not been warm enough to try it till now.
Guinea pig will be the kids' 11 year old VW Fox as opposed to my Daytona S3 :)
I am a total novice mate - can you advise what pads go with which Scholl polish in the kit for swirl removal and polish/wax application ?
Cheers buddy.
Right get 2 of these remember if it's the das 6 " Pro plus you'll need the 5-5 inch pads speed 4 for paint correction and speed 2 for light polishing apply polish to the pads in pebble/bead size amounts, better still go on to youtube and search out the forensic Detailing Channel Jon does a good few videos on machine polishing for beginners with a das 6 Pro you'll need a soft toothbrush as well lol to clean your pads after each pass 2 ft x 2ft areas to begin with
Screenshot 20180517 151852
Screenshot 20180517 151919

Last edited:
Reactions: sixlargebeers and NevMan
top man - thanks Jassy. I had a look at Jon's videos a while back but will watch again before getting down to business.
Where did you get the 5.5 inch CG pads ? The kit came with green, black and orange 5.5 inch pads so I'll order up a white.

Cheers pal.

top man - thanks Jassy. I had a look at Jon's videos a while back but will watch again before getting down to business.
Where did you get the 5.5 inch CG pads ? The kit came with green, black and orange 5.5 inch pads so I'll order up a white.

Cheers pal.
in2detailing or you'll get them from ultimate finish mate ,best to get them from the same place you got kit from "discount " you'll need some ipa aka bilt hamber cleansing fluid as well to wipe down the polished panels to reveal that uber gloss you've achieved, remember some photos lol

Reactions: NevMan
Good shout - thanks Jassy.

Photos might follow once I'm bold enough to tackle the S3 LOL !

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Good shout - thanks Jassy.

Photos might follow once I'm bold enough to tackle the S3 LOL !

Lol, kids going to get a mega shiny detailed Fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and sixlargebeers
LOL yes they will - but will they even notice ? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

"You washed it dad ?" is my prediction....:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and NevMan
LOL yes they will - but will they even notice ? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

"You washed it dad ?" is my prediction....:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hmm, too true there. Bit like my missus when I have spent hours, she says, “looks ok/the same as before”...proper wind up merchant

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
Hmm, too true there. Bit like my missus when I have spent hours, she says, “looks ok/the same as before”...proper wind up merchant

"Handbag looks the same as that £10 on the market. Get that one instead." :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and NevMan