unleaded 98?

mickavraam

Reaction score
I have an A3 8P 2012 1.4 tfsi and i have been curious about if i can put unleaded 98. Been using unleaded 95. Also is it safe to mix 95 with 98?

You can, It wont cause any issue's other than a dent in your wallet, If the engine cannot use it (i;e: tuned to use the higher octane) then the engine will just treat it like normal 95.

For example I have a 3.2 which can use either but get marginally better performance and economy on 98.

You will feel a noticeable difference when using 98 (shell vpower / bp ultimate)

A lot of mechanics will recommend using v power / bp ultimate every once in a while (every 3rd or 4th fill for example) as it keeps the system clean (alternative to using fuel additives)

You can, It wont cause any issue's other than a dent in your wallet, If the engine cannot use it (i;e: tuned to use the higher octane) then the engine will just treat it like normal 95.

For example I have a 3.2 which can use either but get marginally better performance and economy on 98.

That's not correct, you don't need a tune for the engine to adapt to better quality fuel. Your 1.4 tfsi will like 98 octane, but will love shell v-power / tesco momentum even more. Go straight to the higher octane fuel and give a it a couple of tank fulls to get the best results. 95 to 99 octane alone is worth as much as 15 bhp on your engine! Your quoted engines power figure is with 98 octane and there should be a sticker on the fuel cap stating 98 octane is recommended?

In the fuel cap, the first RON rating is the minimum but you can put in the higher with no problems.
If the car is tuned to run on V Power or Tesco momentum it will not run as well on 95 RON and you may hear predestination or pinking.
I have managed to get older cars like Novas and Metros to be a bit more nippy as you can advance the timing a bit to take advantage of the higher 99 RON rating.