Potential New Owner

Zig81

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 16 plate RS3 and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look out for and what options are a must have.

I've got 3 cars lined up and need to decide reasonably sharpish which one to go for.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 16 plate RS3 and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look out for and what options are a must have.

I've got 3 cars lined up and need to decide reasonably sharpish which one to go for.

Thanks in advance.
I'd go for the Black one at Bristol. All the options are there, Pano Roof, Comfort and Sound, Tit wheels, parking camera, B&O.... I decided against Dynamic Pack as tested side by side the Mag Ride is of limited benefit unless doing track days and the Standard exhaust following recall mods is quite enough. The noisier exhaust drones on longer journeys. As for SSS, the base is just the same on standard sports seats and just has fussier diamond stitching and integrated headrests. Just my 2p.. others will have different views. I would order exactly the same spec again.

I'd go for the Black one at Bristol. All the options are there, Pano Roof, Comfort and Sound, Tit wheels, parking camera, B&O.... I decided against Dynamic Pack as tested side by side the Mag Ride is of limited benefit unless doing track days and the Standard exhaust following recall mods is quite enough. The noisier exhaust drones on longer journeys. As for SSS, the base is just the same on standard sports seats and just has fussier diamond stitching and integrated headrests. Just my 2p.. others will have different views. I would order exactly the same spec again.
https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...bhp-all-wheel-drive-red-1_GBR00779269684.htm#

This is the one I really like, not sure the light interior is right though.

The sports exhaust is a must for resale and does not drone at all when in comfort mode!

Supersports seats may have the same base but really help to lift the interior and are great to look at.

Mag ride I don't think is a big deal. Tech and comfort packs are obviously nice to have. Tech pack also comes with the bigger screen for the nav and looks better.

Reactions: T-800
Interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of the Red and light interiors are an absolute pain. Had Silver for 3 years in an A5 Coupe. Lovely but leather cleaner and cloths lived in the car as wearing jeans causes chaos.

I would also not want an RS3 without a Pano Roof, I am 6'2+ and find the black roof claustrophobic. Had pano in S3 14 plate and my old car WX16NTT now at Bristol and loved it.

Interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of the Red and light interiors are an absolute pain. Had Silver for 3 years in an A5 Coupe. Lovely but leather cleaner and cloths lived in the car as wearing jeans causes chaos.

I would also not want an RS3 without a Pano Roof, I am 6'2+ and find the black roof claustrophobic. Had pano in S3 14 plate and my old car WX16NTT now at Bristol and loved it.
Love the red and I like the spec on the car, just not convinced by the lunar interior!

Love the red and I like the spec on the car, just not convinced by the lunar interior!
I would never have lunar silver again. Not sure it goes with Red. Looked good with black but it was such a PITA to keep looking good. At least a daily wipe. No thanks.

You MUST have the dynamic pack for residual value, cars have been lingering on the internet for literally years at Audi Centres because of lack of the Dynamic Pack. It doesn’t drone, it’s perfect!

I’m a huge fan of Lunar (I have it in mine), but depending on how well you look after your cars it is high maintenance. I have a leather coating on mine, a wipe over with a leather cleaner and cloth once a week is really easy to remove the annoying black tint left by my Mrs’ black jeans.. much easier to clean than I thought when protected.

The leather in that red car looks a little tired and abused on the drivers seat. The rest of the spec is good, you can argue the Advanced Key is total trouble with all the cars getting stolen that way of late... you’d need to get an Autowatch Ghost, google it.

By all means drive the car with a standard exhaust and you will love it believe me, but the sports it’s leaps above that and worth a good couple of grand in residual value in most cases.

I would never have lunar silver again. Not sure it goes with Red. Looked good with black but it was such a PITA to keep looking good. At least a daily wipe. No thanks.

Daily wipe is a bit excessive? I’m totally OCD and a weekly wipe is more than enough, once a month is fine as long as you don’t go rolling around in muddy puddles. My seat is very rarely dirty, always the Mrs’.

Reactions: Sandra
Daily wipe is a bit excessive? I’m totally OCD and a weekly wipe is more than enough, once a month is fine as long as you don’t go rolling around in muddy puddles. My seat is very rarely dirty, always the Mrs’.

Denim Jeans are the issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra
Options are nice but pricy, I find generally speaking, that when it comes to resale in a few years, especially with a rare car like the RS3 there wont be many about second hand so the likelihood is options wont make a huge difference to value, more desirable yes. Enjoy your options while you have your car but dont expect much cash back for them in a few years time

Their are plenty of RS3s about now as dealers order them hoping to sell them without any discount, I think this has back fired a bit as they are very expensive and they are struggling to shift them

Daft options like top speed increase at £1600 dont help

Dont get me wrong I get the cheque book out for options but try to go easy, regrettably so sometimes

Prepares for incoming

Last edited:
Reactions: RGBARGEE and Sandra
You MUST have the dynamic pack for residual value, cars have been lingering on the internet for literally years at Audi Centres because of lack of the Dynamic Pack. It doesn’t drone, it’s perfect!

I’m a huge fan of Lunar (I have it in mine), but depending on how well you look after your cars it is high maintenance. I have a leather coating on mine, a wipe over with a leather cleaner and cloth once a week is really easy to remove the annoying black tint left by my Mrs’ black jeans.. much easier to clean than I thought when protected.

The leather in that red car looks a little tired and abused on the drivers seat. The rest of the spec is good, you can argue the Advanced Key is total trouble with all the cars getting stolen that way of late... you’d need to get an Autowatch Ghost, google it.

By all means drive the car with a standard exhaust and you will love it believe me, but the sports it’s leaps above that and worth a good couple of grand in residual value in most cases.
I see what you mean about the drivers seat, I may look elsewhere or sit tight and wait for another car to come along.

All I wear is denim jeans and I’d say wiping my lunar seats once a month was excessive .. yes I get a little off but unless your staring at the seat from an inch away you can’t tell there is anything on there

Reactions: AudiNutta
Options are nice but pricy, I find generally speaking, that when it comes to resale in a few years, especially with a rare car like the RS3 there wont be many about second hand so the likelihood is options wont make a huge difference to value, more desirable yes. Enjoy your options while you have your car but dont expect much cash back for them in a few years time

Their are plenty of RS3s about now as dealers order them hoping to sell them without any discount, I think this has back fired a bit as they are very expensive and they are struggling to shift them

Daft options like top speed increase at £1600 dont help

Dont get me wrong I get the cheque book out for options but try to go easy, regrettably so sometimes

Prepares for incoming
I agree, the value of options is primarily to the original buyer. Things like Pan Roof and B&O do attract a bit of a premium but a droning noisy exhaust can be created for a few hundred pounds, the seat base on SSS is identical, mag ride as mentioned above not great. Were I buying second hand, I would be looking for colour, mileage, condition and for me must haves, Pano Roof, B&O noise and Hill hold.
As for cars without Dynamic pack hanging around for years, that’s nonsense given when the RS3 was introduced.

...but a droning noisy exhaust can be created for a few hundred pounds...
Come on RGB, the sports exhaust on the RS3 is one of the best OEM exhausts of any car out there. Even some of our resident experts such as Aoon stuck with it because it just can't be beaten by the aftermarket clan.

Come on RGB, the sports exhaust on the RS3 is one of the best OEM exhausts of any car out there. Even some of our resident experts such as Aoon stuck with it because it just can't be beaten by the aftermarket clan.

I don’t know how it compares to other exhausts but I am amazed at how loud it gets from having the valves closed to open with the sports exhaust. The only way it could be better is if you could hear it rumble when the car is stationary but as soon as you start moving it sounds incredible.

I think most people on the street (and I have said this before) don’t know what an RS Audi is - and when they hear it then they look confused and bemused.

Reactions: DW81
I’m not denying it is a good OEM exhaust. It would be enjoyable occasionally but the standard exhaust suited me just fine and the neighbours found it noisy enough. For me the motorway drone or having to drive in comfort persuaded me that the standard RS sports exhaust was fine. Sadly the FL exhaust is not so good.

Why are people so bothered about what their neighbours things about the exhaust... grow and set of balls man! The RS3 isn’t the loudest car out there... come on get a grip!

Reactions: DW81 and AudiNutta

I wear nothing but denim and have no issues, but I think it’s been figured on here before... cheap denim causes no issues, go and buy a nice designer number and it will cause issues. I’ve got Next jeans, which are in the middle I think and are Lunar friendly as it turns out The Mrs’ trousers however... see the following..... but a light pass with a plush microfibre and Gyeon Leather Coat will see it gone in seconds. These seats were wiped about 500 miles ago, she has been in the car for the majority of that. My flash is on, making them look super shiny.

134e1f7009b8cb41838a319c52d1be0d.jpg
90983e24508ea9bce3314ef9e080d445.jpg
7e1f1d16964d3a909d48d01ecb5bb7b6.jpg
fdc4a51610123aa9076e4621a5a89fa4.jpg

I’m not denying it is a good OEM exhaust. It would be enjoyable occasionally but the standard exhaust suited me just fine and the neighbours found it noisy enough. For me the motorway drone or having to drive in comfort persuaded me that the standard RS sports exhaust was fine. Sadly the FL exhaust is not so good.

You don't have to drive on comfort mode to keep it quiet: set the individual to "auto" in engine noise and hey presto, quiet when cruising and a nutter when you give it a bootful.

I see what you mean about the drivers seat, I may look elsewhere or sit tight and wait for another car to come along.

The bottom bolsters are a nightmare always, I literally saw mine being driven off of the transporter and both the drivers and passengers seat had creases in the bottom bolster.

But the upright bolster is rare to see in that state, infact most are ok...

All I wear is denim jeans and I’d say wiping my lunar seats once a month was excessive .. yes I get a little off but unless your staring at the seat from an inch away you can’t tell there is anything on there

+1, exact same experience here.

Dynamic pack
Tech pack for better nav screen
B&O just for the door card leds
Pano roof (adds to the look of the car when fully open)

Super sports seats yes
Standard sports seats all electric yes (I’ve had 2 8V’s now and liked them both).

Titanium rotors yes (worked well with Mythos)

Gloss black rotors yes (look great on a Glacier RS).

I agree, the value of options is primarily to the original buyer. Things like Pan Roof and B&O do attract a bit of a premium but a droning noisy exhaust can be created for a few hundred pounds, the seat base on SSS is identical, mag ride as mentioned above not great. Were I buying second hand, I would be looking for colour, mileage, condition and for me must haves, Pano Roof, B&O noise and Hill hold.
As for cars without Dynamic pack hanging around for years, that’s nonsense given when the RS3 was introduced.

Bristol Audi had an early ‘15 plate RS3 in Sepang, Lunar SSS.. all the toys but no dynamic pack, that ended up being a 13,000 mile demonstrator and the last time I can tell you it was there was in July last year!

Buys an RS product and then cares about what his neighbours think :blink:

Reactions: Phil3
Bristol Audi had an early ‘15 plate RS3 in Sepang, Lunar SSS.. all the toys but no dynamic pack, that ended up being a 13,000 mile demonstrator and the last time I can tell you it was there was in July last year!

That was Lee the sales managers car which was advertised at a mega price while being used. I am pretty sure there was a story with that one, believe it was sold for someone wanting a car for 6 months. Nothing to do with not having Dynamic as far as I know. Price is always the key.. yes Dynamic will sell at a premium to some people who want a noisy car. Many prefer the standard more relaxed cruising where Dynamic can be used without that droning. Each to their own as always.

That was Lee the sales managers car which was advertised at a mega price while being used. I am pretty sure there was a story with that one, believe it was sold for someone wanting a car for 6 months. Nothing to do with not having Dynamic as far as I know. Price is always the key.. yes Dynamic will sell at a premium to some people who want a noisy car. Many prefer the standard more relaxed cruising where Dynamic can be used without that droning. Each to their own as always.

People buy 5 cylinders engines for a relaxed engine sound ? :whistle2: And they also drive in dynamic whilst relaxed driving modes?

Unless I’m mistaken, do the valves not shut off even in dynamic mode whilst pottering about ? Or are they always open across the whole rpm range in dynamic mode ?

People buy 5 cylinders engines for a relaxed engine sound ? :whistle2: And they also drive in dynamic whilst relaxed driving modes?

Unless I’m mistaken, do the valves not shut off even in dynamic mode whilst pottering about ? Or are they always open across the whole rpm range in dynamic mode ?
On PFL RS3 they open at approx 3750rpm.

Nice to have a bit of background on that car, it was around for a long time... alongside a basic Nardo car. The car was reduced to below £40k in the end if I remember rightly, I can only assume it went through auction unless somebody bit.. but 13,000 miles as an Audi demo would put me right off.

I can remember looking and the only part that wasn’t to like, was a lack of exhaust. When I desperately tried to get into one in October 2016, there were very few around with the exhaust and the majority that were around didn’t have it. Now I made some pretty serious compromises looking for a spec I said I’d never buy, like black with no styling pack or a black car altogether.. but at no point did I consider a car without the exhaust. Each to their own though and I’ve only experienced one without it, which was a demo FL I had and that sounded great coming from the S3, so I’m not saying the standard exhaust sounds bad as no doubt it perhaps would show up my FL with a sports system, but it’s one of those options that most look for.. the only sales reps I’ve ever heard say you don’t need it, are the ones trying to sell a car without it.

When I was looking for mine, Tech Pack and Dynamic Pack were absolute musts. The exhaust is fantastic and even with the valves open at 80mph, it really doesn't drone unless you're used to driving around in an A8. The basic Nav screen is horrible so Tech was a must for me.

Beyond that it's personal preference I think. B&O is nice to have but not essential, same with Pano roof and SS seats, although personally I avoid sunroofs and didn't want white leather. Then outside the car, as long as it wasn't white or red I was open to anything. I detest white cars and Catalunya Red is a really weak colour IMO.

Clearly there are different view on here but I am probably one of many who bought an RS3 for it's performance abilities and as a relaxed motorway cruiser plus a bit of fun . I did not buy it to regularly drive around showing off my 'noisy exhaust'. Clearly we are all different but the standard RS exhaust is just fine and it was sold to me having compared the two side by side and on an extended test drive with both. The RS3 Dynamic was not great for motorway cruising and I was coming from an A7 and an S3 not an A8.

Reactions: Behind The Bins
Clearly there are different view on here but I am probably one of many who bought an RS3 for it's performance abilities and as a relaxed motorway cruiser plus a bit of fun . I did not buy it to regularly drive around showing off my 'noisy exhaust'. Clearly we are all different but the standard RS exhaust is just fine and it was sold to me having compared the two side by side and on an extended test drive with both. The RS3 Dynamic was not great for motorway cruising and I was coming from an A7 and an S3 not an A8.
You should've saved money and bought an S3 instead if you wanted a relaxed cruiser with 'a bit of fun'... ;)

Reactions: Shawn8V
You would hate mine, secondary decats unplugged valves drones abit but easily resolved by adjusting the volume dial on my B&O :tearsofjoy:

Afternoon,

Thanks in advance.
sport exhaust- it doesn't drone much
super sports seats - better than the standard one but not much - about time Audi made them electric with memory, come on Audi!
B&O (massively better than the standard or Audi one - though in my rs3 saloon i haven't used it yet as i listen to either the car soundtrack or radio....lol)
Tech pack (in this tech world wouldn't be without it)
pano roof (lightens up the interior and great in summer - though its a sunroof not a pano roof)

and as others have said the dynamic pack.

Don't agree re: mag ride. I have it in the RS3 but not the S3, it means I can drive the Rs3 in dynamic whereas the dynamic in non mag ride s3 is too hard

sport exhaust- it doesn't drone much
super sports seats - better than the standard one but not much - about time Audi made them electric with memory, come on Audi!
B&O (massively better than the standard or Audi one - though in my rs3 saloon i haven't used it yet as i listen to either the car soundtrack or radio....lol)
Tech pack (in this tech world wouldn't be without it)
pano roof (lightens up the interior and great in summer - though its a sunroof not a pano roof)

and as others have said the dynamic pack.

Don't agree re: mag ride. I have it in the RS3 but not the S3, it means I can drive the Rs3 in dynamic whereas the dynamic in non mag ride s3 is too hard
Dynamic does not alter suspension in standard non-mag ride.

You should've saved money and bought an S3 instead if you wanted a relaxed cruiser with 'a bit of fun'... ;)
I had an S3 before the RS3 thanks. Great car but more smiles per mile in an RS. I often travel 300 miles a day and did not want the Dynamic drone. nor am I a boy racer. Fast smooth car with the ability to eat the miles in comfort in a reasonably relaxed manner. Had the B9 for more regular long trips. Of course people defend what they have but I actually chose the non Dynamic RS3 and it was great..

So this thread is proving once again that one mans "must have" is another mans "must not".

While it seems the majority of RS3 owners want the dynamic pack, not everyone will.

So the OP should take time to check/test drive different cars and find out what they like, in my opinion! Then search for a car with the options they want...

Reactions: Behind The Bins, Colin A and RGBARGEE
So this thread is proving once again that one mans "must have" is another mans "must not".

While it seems the majority of RS3 owners want the dynamic pack, not everyone will.

So the OP should take time to check/test drive different cars and find out what they like, in my opinion! Then search for a car with the options they want...

To clarify, based on a statistically very limited sample of a particular section of RS3 owners ( the loud ones) many think being noisy is important. Clearly adding nothing to the performance just noisy

Reactions: Rayner_1704
To clarify, based on a statistically very limited sample of a particular section of RS3 owners ( the loud ones) many think being noisy is important. Clearly adding nothing to the performance just noisy

Mine does have the dynamic pack and I love it by the way ;)

Reactions: DW81 and RGBARGEE