S5 DAB Radio poor?

Meemo

Reaction score
Gonna ask one of these questions lol sorry in advance
THe DAB Radio in my 65 plate S5 is pretty poor if I am honest, all the stations no matter where I am cut in and out with a few second silence maybe every 30 seconds and constantly changes quality when it does this, is this typical of all the S5/A5s?

After sitting in a friends Peugeot this morning with dab on the same station and area, his was faultless and he never gets the crappy dropping in and out /quality in sound changes i described.
Curious before I go have a whine at the dealer about it :)

DAB on my 2014 S5 is great. I do get the odd drop out but always in the same locations near where i live, other than that i get very few reception issues.

ah man kinda hoped more would say they had it :p
I did a scan and got a radio communication error code, however i had also enabled some extra functions via carista and searching the code said this happens after enabling the battery level display in MMI, which I had done.

My DAB used to cut out somewhat. It got worse after I fitted my dual dashcam, so I switched to FM.

My DAB used to cut out somewhat. It got worse after I fitted my dual dashcam, so I switched to FM.
Oh I did install front and rear dash cams very next day after buying her! you might of cracked it here, I have also switched to FM, but if it's interference i can wrap the wiring to insulate it some more :) cheers!

DAB is better in my S5 than in my old 8V A3 and Ms arad's 2012 (now APR tuned) Touareg.

Cheers arad85, dippy I think has cracked it!
When I installed dash cams on my old car, people on here replied asking if my dab was affected as it had caused interference in their own cars, i didn't have dab so didn't affect me, but dippys reply completely jogged my memory that this is a known thing!

I have a front dashcam and can't remember it affecting the DAB. Maybe it is a rear-only issue (where is the DAB aerial - I suspect that if it is affecting it, it will be the camera unit not the wiring).

I have a front dashcam and can't remember it affecting the DAB. Maybe it is a rear-only issue (where is the DAB aerial - I suspect that if it is affecting it, it will be the camera unit not the wiring).

Yeah that is what the other suggested in the past thread. I might be able to insulate it a little more at the back I reckon, but until digital switch over, just gonna listen to FM and my spotify :)

DAB interference with dashcams is normally due to the poor unshielded power supplies that you get with most camera's, i had issues on a Mercedes which went away when i purchased a good quality usb psu that plugged into the 12v socket in the car.

DAB interference with dashcams is normally due to the poor unshielded power supplies that you get with most camera's, i had issues on a Mercedes which went away when i purchased a good quality usb psu that plugged into the 12v socket in the car.

Haya, it's hard wired into the fuse box, I will be insulating the rear camera and wires which should improve it, as it is mounted against the antena wires in the back window.

Yes its the rear camera that does it, and I believe its worse on the SB. One of the reasons I went with the Thinkware instead of the BlackVue is that it seemed everyone with the latter was losing DAB. I think it was better with the Thinkware because DAB would work a lot of the time, but it would still occasionally drop out. I tried various methods of shielding and re-routing but never got to a state where there would be no drop-outs. Then I concluded that the benefits of DAB over FM are rather superficial so I decided to switch to FM permanently. Besides I listen to the media player most of the time anyway - I just switch to radio when my kids are in the car to stop them slagging off my taste in 80s music :(

Reactions: Meemo
haha yep, radio only comes on for my passengers who do not wish to listen to heavy metal and 80/90s rock :)
when they remove FM from transmission will prob have to find a better solution, plug in a sticky arial to stick to another window perhaps away from the cam