Hid headlamps

Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of some hid and normal facelift headlamps so i can tell the difference as i think i might be able to get some hid ones but want to check they arent the standard ones first !!!

Im going to look at the light hopefully tomorrow ,if no ones got apicture can someone tell me what the physical differences are and how do i tell if the starter thing is with them ???

I think the starter/balasts are in the headlight under the cover at the rear of the light. What you need to watch for is that the motors from the standard headlights will transfer over. As A4s that came with Xenons standard i am sure have sensors in the rear of the car so they automatically adjust instead of using the 0-3 scale to move them. If the motors dont transfer over you wont be able to use the adjuster inside the car.
My new lights didnt incorporate the motors so I cant use the adjustment inside the car but have never needed to since i bought it so i am no that fused.

The lights as i remember had a light in each that looked like an eliptical lense a bit like a big glass contact lense, does this sound like them and what does the stater look like ??? Im with you on the adjuster ,if they will fit great if they don't no worrys as ive never used them on any car ive had anyway !!!

Are you looking for projector style lamps like the ones below?

These are after-market ones that I bought from eBay. Are you wanting to change from 2-piece to 1 piece. As I had the standard non-projector 2 piece lights and upgraded them to 1-piece but you need to trim a lip off the wing where the standard indicator is. You dint necessarily need to have projector headlights to run Xenon's or a Xenon conversion kit but the projectors will make all the difference if you do.

headlights1.JPG

The car im getting hopefully is a face lift model so will have the one piece lights in but i want to put the projector lights in,but i cant tell the difference between them !!

Projectors look like the pic of my car in my last post with the lense style light between the indicator on the left and the main beam light on the right. Non projectors look like my car in the below pic.
Picture%20010.jpg

OEM projectors look like the ones on the RS4 in the pic below.
CIMG0015.JPG

If you get a facelift model, it will have projector lights anyway, its the pre facelift that doesnt. The pre facelift headlights do not lend themselves to retro fitted HIDs due to lense style

Thanks everyone,going by the pics they are definatly oem projector lamps !!!

These are after-market ones that I bought from eBay. Are you wanting to change from 2-piece to 1 piece. As I had the standard non-projector 2 piece lights and upgraded them to 1-piece but you need to trim a lip off the wing where the standard indicator is. You dint necessarily need to have projector headlights to run Xenon's or a Xenon conversion kit but the projectors will make all the difference if you do.
what do you guys think of ebay headlights, from say here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190085134618&fromMakeTrack=true
compared to paying 700.00 for OEM ones? that are valeo, bosch, etc.

Im scared because all the headlights look the same, but some are $250/pair, some are $350/pair, and some are $350/ea.

I would speak to DPM think he sells ones very simlar that are OEM for close to the same price

The facelift Valeo Xenon or Valeo halogen 1 piece projectors are both great with HID/xenon lights.

The ballast mounts on the back of the xenon enclosure, and on the underside of the halogen enclosures.

Older HID kits have a separate ignitor and ballast (just like a flourescent tube light), many newer kits incorporate the ignitor within the ballast.