Audi A3 2.0TDI Humming Noise

AdamC95

Reaction score
Hi All,

i have a Audi A3 2.0tdi (140bhp) 2011.

i put a new clutch and DMF in the car over the weekend and now the car is making a weird humming noise/droning noise at around 20+mph.

Does it in every gear and does not go when cornering or braking, hard to explain the sound fully, i had the car jacked up and put it into 2nd gear, couldn't hear the noise outside although i could hear it in the cabin.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi All,

i have a Audi A3 2.0tdo (140bhp) 2011.

i put a new clutch and DMF in the car over the weekend and now the car is making a weird humming noise/droning noise at around 20+mph.

Does it in every gear and does not go when cornering or braking, hard to explain the sound fully, i had the car jacked up and put it into 2nd gear, couldn't hear the noise outside although i could hear it in the cabin.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

did you remove any drive shafts?

Yes we removed both driveshafts. however yesterday we did check and there does not seem any play in them?
Did you mark them to their respective positions prior to removal? That can be a factor.

Did you mark them to their respective positions prior to removal? That can be a factor.

We did not no, so it may be a case of taking the gearbox out again and starting all over.

what kind of damage can this do in the long run?

When driving, if you put the car into neutral or push in the clutch does the noise go away? If so, it's definitely gearbox / clutch related, if not, then it will be related to the drive line elsewhere (ie, driveshafts, etc).

Reactions: aqibi2000
When driving, if you put the car into neutral or push in the clutch does the noise go away? If so, it's definitely gearbox / clutch related, if not, then it will be related to the drive line elsewhere (ie, driveshafts, etc).

No when i put the car into neutral or push the clutch the noise stays.

We did check the driveshafts on either end and there is no play in them? may have to re-check just to make sure.

Also i have noticed when i took the car to part that the discs and pads on every corner are not right as they are only using half the disc, the top half of the disc is like a black color that is peeling away so i am going to put new pads and discs all around.

Re connecting driveshafts doesn't require removal of gearbox btw.

Also i have noticed when i took the car to part that the discs and pads on every corner are not right as they are only using half the disc, the top half of the disc is like a black color that is peeling away so i am going to put new pads and discs all around.

I think you have found your problem. Does the brake pedal vibrate under your foot when braking ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No when i put the car into neutral or push the clutch the noise stays.

We did check the driveshafts on either end and there is no play in them? may have to re-check just to make sure.

In that case it will be drive line related, something that rotates when the car is physically moving, not the clutch or DMF you have just fitted, which is good. So that could be driveshafts, wheels, discs, wheel bearings, etc, etc

I think you have found your problem. Does the brake pedal vibrate under your foot when braking ?

Ho Igooch, the brake pedal does not vibrate when i am braking.

In that case it will be drive line related, something that rotates when the car is physically moving, not the clutch or DMF you have just fitted, which is good. So that could be driveshafts, wheels, discs, wheel bearings, etc, etc

Thanks, will have to double check everything again on the weekend, the only thing that is telling me it is not a wheel bearing is that there is no play in the wheel and when going round a corner the noise does not stop.

i have to change my brake pads and discs anyway but unfortunately i wont be able to until the end of the month as i have just spent £430 on a clutch kit and DMF and a full service kit for the car.

I will check my tyre pressures tonight (although with the noise it makes i dont think it will be this and also when the car was jacked up (no wheels touching ground) the noise still happens.

Hopefully i will find the problem and it wont be the driveshafts as they are not cheap!

Thanks, will have to double check everything again on the weekend, the only thing that is telling me it is not a wheel bearing is that there is no play in the wheel and when going round a corner the noise does not stop.

i have to change my brake pads and discs anyway but unfortunately i wont be able to until the end of the month as i have just spent £430 on a clutch kit and DMF and a full service kit for the car.

I will check my tyre pressures tonight (although with the noise it makes i dont think it will be this and also when the car was jacked up (no wheels touching ground) the noise still happens.

Hopefully i will find the problem and it wont be the driveshafts as they are not cheap!

Since it happens with the car in the air, you can localise which side possibly the drive shaft is causing this from, reducing the work a little.

the only thing that is telling me it is not a wheel bearing is that there is no play in the wheel and when going round a corner the noise does not stop.

Wheel bearings don't usually have play until they are REALLY bad, and I have had one in the past that made noise all the time regardless of cornering. They can be funny things.

If you disconnect everything you should be able to feel and hear worn bearings by hand when spinning them though.

Since it happens with the car in the air, you can localise which side possibly the drive shaft is causing this from, reducing the work a little.

When the car was in the air you could not hear the noise outside of the car but only in the cabin (which is why i was a little stumped) however i will double check this.

Wheel bearings don't usually have play until they are REALLY bad, and I have had one in the past that made noise all the time regardless of cornering. They can be funny things.

If you disconnect everything you should be able to feel and hear worn bearings by hand when spinning them though.

As above really, i couldnt hear any worn bearing from outside the car but when sat in the car i could hear the humming/droaning noise.

Check the gear selection mechanism linkages. Could be loose and vibrating, hence heard inside the cabin

Reactions: AdamC95
Will try that, also going to swop both front bearing round to see if the noise goes to the other side of the car to try eliminate that problem.