how to trace owner of a vehicle after damage to my car

jjhwk__

Reaction score
Hello, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do now after my car was very badly vandalised in a 'CCTV controlled' car park.

Long story short the whole bonnet is covered in key scratches that go right down to the paint, after advice from the police I recorded a video of him doing it and figured out what car he had. I sent this all the the police and they viewed my video and the CCTV evidence and told me there was 'insufficient evidence' to be able to prosecute him.

I went into the same car park as I do every day, today, and saw his car parked at the end of a level. I frantically ran around trying to find him with no luck so I waited at the end of the parking aisle for him to come back to his car. Eventually he did and I followed him but he managed to slip away.

Is there anything I can do to try and find his address?? I've tried filling in the DVLA V888 form with no luck, and if anyone has any experience in law where do I stand being told I don't have enough evidence to prosecute?

His car is a Red Astra VXR reg YD57 YWH and he lives somewhere in Coventry. Maybe someone on here knows who he is.

Social media is your friend in situations like this. Get a picture of him, and plaster it all over Facebook groups etc.

I can't understand why the police are not taking any action, especially if you have video of him actually damaging your car.....

I would not advice taking action on your own, as you may find yourself on the wrong end of the law, albeit for a good reason.

Social media is your friend in situations like this. Get a picture of him, and plaster it all over Facebook groups etc.

I can't understand why the police are not taking any action, especially if you have video of him actually damaging your car.....

I would not advice taking action on your own, as you may find yourself on the wrong end of the law, albeit for a good reason.

Just starting to get pic up on social media. Unfortunately I don't have Facebook but I've asked 'stolen cars west midlands' if they can put up a post and family / friends are going to share the photo for me.

I will never understand why people feel the need to vandalise people's cars...

Reactions: RAF_S7
Jealousy is the usual reason if its totally random.

Hope you get it sorted one way or another.

Reactions: V6_Man
Sorry for what happened to you, mate.

V888 form is the only way you can trace the registered keeper of the car.
State it in there that he was involved in the collision with your car and include police case reference number given.
That should get them to speed things up but from what I know, they will contact that person (who they have on their record as a last registered keeper) if he/she would be comfortable in releasing their personal details to 3rd party.

Another thing is, what are you planning to do with these details?
Do you want to claim it from your insurer?
If so, report it with all details you've gathered so far and say he made off after the collision.
Your insurer will contact he's insurers and that should give him something to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about this, if he got away with vandalizing your car and the police have "insufficient evidence" to prosecute despite CCTV evidence and all the details you gave them I'm surprised you didn't slash all his tyres and put paint stripper all over the car "insufficient evidence" to say who did it :innocent:

Can't see him doing this again but if you have to park in the same spot it might be worth getting dash/rear cameras that record when things move infront/behind your car.

Best of luck mate.

Last edited:
Sorry for what happened to you, mate.

V888 form is the only way you can trace the registered keeper of the car.
State it in there that he was involved in the collision with your car and include police case reference number given.
That should get them to speed things up but from what I know, they will contact that person (who they have on their record as a last registered keeper) if he/she would be comfortable in releasing their personal details to 3rd party.

Another thing is, what are you planning to do with these details?
Do you want to claim it from your insurer?
If so, report it with all details you've gathered so far and say he made off after the collision.
Your insurer will contact he's insurers and that should give him something to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could claim it off my insurance but being 17 and already paying 2k+ it'll push my premium up too much, and my excess is more than the repair would cost too sadly.

Not anymore. After a month they suspended the investigation because of the 'lack of evidence' (laziness)

Sorry to hear about this, if he got away with vandalizing your car and the police have "insufficient evidence" to prosecute despite CCTV evidence and all the details you gave them I'm surprised you didn't slash all his tyres and put paint stripper all over the car "insufficient evidence" to say who did it :innocent:

Can't see him doing this again but if you have to park in the same spot it might be worth getting dash/rear cameras that record when things move infront/behind your car.

Best of luck mate.

I almost did when I saw his car today, but as soon as I stoop down to his level I lose any moral high ground/grounds to get money off him. I've had a dashcam installed since though which runs 24/7

Reactions: RAF_S7
Hello, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do now after my car was very badly vandalised in a 'CCTV controlled' car park.

Long story short the whole bonnet is covered in key scratches that go right down to the paint, after advice from the police I recorded a video of him doing it and figured out what car he had. I sent this all the the police and they viewed my video and the CCTV evidence and told me there was 'insufficient evidence' to be able to prosecute him.

I went into the same car park as I do every day, today, and saw his car parked at the end of a level. I frantically ran around trying to find him with no luck so I waited at the end of the parking aisle for him to come back to his car. Eventually he did and I followed him but he managed to slip away.

Is there anything I can do to try and find his address?? I've tried filling in the DVLA V888 form with no luck, and if anyone has any experience in law where do I stand being told I don't have enough evidence to prosecute?

His car is a Red Astra VXR reg YD57 YWH and he lives somewhere in Coventry. Maybe someone on here knows who he is.

I could ask on the VXR forum if he is know?

RAF is right tho if you catch up with him it will be you who gets in trouble and the police just don't care. If you can get his full name I would 192.com it and the area he lives and he should come up where he lives but it costs about £30.

Long story but someone was taking me to court last year to get money out of me even tho I had proof he was lying and I owed nothing. Found where he lived and it was so tempting to go kick his head in. I even had mates say give us the word and will do him but I just knew it would catch with me even tho he deserved it. Tw@t even did a youtube video on me slagging me off but luckily the truth came out

I know you say you know who it is but do you actually KNOW for certain who it is. Are you 100% sure or are you making any assumptions?