Car Open Reminder

A4Quattro said:
Sorry but thats the biggest load of #### I have heard in a long time!

If you knew how wiper motors work then you'd know that would involve a lot of complex circuitry in order to get the motor to run slower, i think you'll find it may run slower on the downward stroke because the wiper blades cause drag as the car is moving forwards.
Oh wind your neck in ***.

I don't give a toss how wiper motors work, or how you think they work. The fact of the matter is that, on my car, when you wash-wipe, the final downstroke is much slower than all the previous sweeps. Not all of them, just the final downstroke. This is not up for debate, it's a fact.
Yet again, total #####!

This is another thing that would cost a significant amount of extra money and electronics to acheive. The wiper motor just goes round and round, it doesn't know where the wipers are in relation to the windscreen, thats done by the linkage. and i think you'll find IF what you say was the truth, then the wipers would have to stop on the upward stroke in a different position everytime to eliminate wear there too... keep taking the medication.
You're the one spouting the #####. During normal operation, the wipers come to rest at a specific point after each sweep. When they're switched off however (or are on auto and haven't swept for a while due to lack of rain) they park themselves at a position lower than the normal operational rest position. This position varies each time they park. This is easily seen by pressing the stalk down to provoke a single sweep, they will park in a slightly different position on each successive operation.

A4Quattro said:
The motor has no sensors, just 2 sets of windings for fast and slow
Yet more rubbish. When in automatic mode and there's enough rain to keep the wipers sweeping constantly, they will actually speed up gradually as the rain gets heavier, rather than suddenly switching to the "fast" setting available on the stalk.

The wiper system on current Audis is obviously far more complex than you're prepared to believe.

Where did anyone state that this was the operation of automatic wipers?

A4Quattro said:
Not trying to take anything out on anyone, just pointing out that its highly unlikely.
Such an innovation would be costly and people wouldn't benefit from it so its unlikely.
You're all welcome to your own opinions, even if they are uneducated and wrong! :moa:
I'll make some videos of my wipers slow-final-sweeping and parking in different positions for you, ok? :rolleyes:

The point is that, in current Audis, the computer system obviously has a very fine degree of control over the wiper speed and position. Once this is achieved, they can make the wipers do pretty much anything they like with simple mods to the software so they might as well chuck in as many features as they can.

Vertigo1 said:
Oh wind your neck in ***.

I don't give a toss how wiper motors work, or how you think they work.

You clearly do care otherwise you'd not bother replying, as for my understanding of wipers, I have had several different car's wiper systems to pieces so I think I have a good understanding. Have you ever held a spanner in your hand other than to feel good about yourself at halfords?

This thread never mentioned automatic wipers anywhere, I understood it to be about wipers in general, hence my post.

bowfer said:
Can it be switched off ???
Not to my knowledge but a trick is to flick the stalk down to intermittent and back up to continuous. This will override the system and put the wipers back on continuous until the next time the vehicle stops.

My audi is current and my wipers do not change speed! I do 30,000 miles a year and my wipers get used a fair bit, and i have never seen what has been described here.

A4Quattro said:
My audi is current and my wipers do not change speed! I do 30,000 miles a year and my wipers get used a fair bit, and i have never seen what has been described here.

The sort of control and gradual changing of speed is simple on a the dc motor on the wipers. Alot of older cars had motors fitted with seperate windings on wiper/heater fan motors.

Go back to your dealer and complain, as what is being described is exactly what my auto wiper do.!!! :angrymod: :)

Anymore priceless little gems that Audi have fitted to the A3 that aren't immediately apparent??

A4Quattro said:
You clearly do care otherwise you'd not bother replying
Let me spell it out for you. I do not give a toss about how my wiper systems work nor do I give a toss about your understanding of wiper systems. What I do give a toss about is arrogant people such as yourself telling me that I'm posting "####". It was this that prompted my response.
as for my understanding of wipers, I have had several different car's wiper systems to pieces so I think I have a good understanding. Have you ever held a spanner in your hand other than to feel good about yourself at halfords?
Any point to this utter irrelevance? As I said, your knowledge of wiper systems in modern cars is obviously lacking as you claim that things I have witnessed with my own eyes are impossible.
This thread never mentioned automatic wipers anywhere, I understood it to be about wipers in general, hence my post.
I only mentioned automatic wipers to emphasise that, when operating in this mode, the speed can be modulated by the onboard systems with a finer degree of control than is available via the stalk (i.e. slow/fast). The actual motors and control mechanisms will be the same regardless of whether you have automatic (i.e. rain-sensing) wipers, the latter is just an additional mechanism whereby the car can sense the water and activate the wipers itself. The computer would obviously still have the same ability to modulate the speed of the wipers without the rain-sensors, it's just that the user controls (i.e. the stalk) doesn't permit such finesse.
nor do the wipers move any slower on the last wipe. Do I have a special car then?
The wipers on my last car did not perform the last downstroke at a slower speed, instead they performed an additional wipe a few seconds after the initial wash-wipe sweeps (although I believe this was a programmable setting). I believe both systems were intended to prevent splashing of water on the screen after a wash-wipe cycle. The old system tried to achieve this by leaving it a few seconds and then performing a final wipe whereas they've now decided that a slower final downstroke does a better job. Depending on when this was changed, this could explain why your car doesn't have the slower final downstroke. Of course it could be that this feature is only present on A3s, I have no idea. All I know is that it's real and I've witnessed it.
How does a wiper on a glass screen cause splashing? especially as it wipes twice after the washers have stopped.
So every time you use the wash-wipe, there is no water left on the screen at all, even when travelling at high speed? If so then you do indeed have a miraculous car as every car I've ever had tends to leave a few little splashes here and there after a wash-wipe cycle, especially at speed. The water tends to get onto the wipers themselves and then gets blown off onto the screen as droplets and splashes. As this water is falling behind the sweeping wiper blade, it doesn't get cleaned up.

A4Quattro said:

But an A4 no? Case you hadn't noticed this is about A3's. And no they aren't all the same.

One small bit of bad design is the small channel between the bottom of the rear hatch glass and the hatch itself. Water sits in there when you wash it and drips down the clean paintwork when you open and shut the boot after!!

Also when its been wet and then freezes (like this week) the water that collects in this groove freezes and must put pressure between the hatch and the glass straining the seal.

Considering how everything else is so well thought out, its seems quite a basic error.

Yeah the water seems to run off there and down into the side gulleys of the boot, just above the lights. When the boot is wet I tend to open the boot about half way and hold it there to let the water drain off before opening it fully. If you open it fully straight away the water has a long way to fall and tends to splash a bit more IME.

bowfer said:
1 inch piece of plastic that does next to feck all to stop the sun - big deal,I've tried it and it does precisely feck all

I thought it was ace, miss it in the Golf..

i think the wiper system on these cars is a little more complicated than a motor - there are hell of a lot electronic involved aswell now - as i have said before i had wiper motor changed once and they couldn't just geta spanner out and replace it - it had to be coded and set to the car (or something techy like that with a computer). The ironic thing is - i had a car which quite frankly is probably one of the most complex machines of our time with all the elctronics, computers, wiring, sensors, motors, mechanics, etc etc and the only problem I had with it was with (what you would assume to be the simplest thing on the car (but isnt!) - yes the wipers. It was a problem which took over 2 years to 90% rectify.

Shhhhhhhh ........ don't mention the wipers!! :sos:

A4Quattro's blood pressure was just dropping as well.

Moderator Hat On

Ahem - Gentlemen

People are entitled to a heated discussion - however please watch the language. I dont want to be getting all official.

Back to your discussions

Eeeee its not this exciting on the Toyota Yaris forum...... :)

Just another thought - all these cars with just one reversing light on the nearside - why didn't the very thoughtful people make the clever computerised control system turn on the rear fog light at the same time as the reversing light, so that you get at least some light on both sides of the car when reversing in the dark?

That's the first thing I do when reversing down a dark drive or alley - manually switch on the rear fog light so that I have as much light as possible behind me...

Two reverse lights would be nice.

But back to the wipers (LOL) i have just been out to see if the wiper do, do a slow last wipe after washerjets and i can say that they in fact..DO..do this.

my cars spec is 2007 2.0 TFSI Q SLINE S.E. manuel wipers manuel light.

please keep discusing as i find this very funny especial A4 as you realy dont want to belive this amazing fact the wiper can do a slower last wipe, but im afraid empirical evidence prove that this does infact happen. lol

skooby

Yup, my wipers do the slow final downward wipe after using the washer. They also have two resting positions, one with the wiper blade angled on its downward stoke position, the other in its upward position. Whether there is any point or benefit to either of those I don't know!

But back to the wipers (LOL) i have just been out to see if the wiper do, do a slow last wipe after washerjets and i can say that they in fact..DO..do this.

My 2004 A3 2.0TDI SE (auto lights and wipers as standard) does exactly the same.

reallyinteresting.jpg

i think we should see if we can argue over anything even more trivial.:asskicking:

skooby

1) The final down sweep of an A3 wash/wipe cycle is slower

2) The park position of A3 wipers is different, and this is to stop wear on the blades, so they are not parked in the same position in summertime for example causing the rubber to distort. Traditional wiperblades are 10quid or so. Aero wipers are 50quid or something, so it's worth doing for most users. Therefore this may only be on cars with Aero wipers.

3) Auto wipers do not have set speeds - they are completely variable depending on how fast the sensor thinks they need to be.

:rtfm:

alanjonesbath said:
Yup, my wipers do the slow final downward wipe after using the washer. They also have two resting positions, one with the wiper blade angled on its downward stoke position, the other in its upward position. Whether there is any point or benefit to either of those I don't know!

and mine :whistle2:

southpaw66 said:
The sportback does have two.

Yup - speaking of reverse lights, anyone noticed that if you have DSG, the reverse lights don't come on immediately? So, when you shift from D to P, you don't get the "My car is an auto" giveaway reverse light flash?

Just another nice little thing :eek:)

OutLore said:
Yup - speaking of reverse lights, anyone noticed that if you have DSG, the reverse lights don't come on immediately? So, when you shift from D to P, you don't get the "My car is an auto" giveaway reverse light flash?

Just another nice little thing :eek:)

But they'll already have sussed you have DSG before you stop.
The fact your car took ages to get into reverse in the first place will have shown them.

;-)

Sorry,but parking is yet another time I hate DSG.

MarcQuinlivan said:
the logic behind this feature is that when you are stationary there is less water falling on the windscreen - when you are driving into the rain there is more water on the screen. If you want the windows to wipe faster when you are stopped, just set the intermittent delay to the lowest setting.

I do that,but it's still not good enough.
In the scenario I describe (turning right across a dual carriageway in the piddling rain with traffic approaching me at 50-60mph) I don't want them stopping off AT ALL,because I really only have a split second to go for any gap.
Sorry,but there's really no justification for this function at all,other than some gimp thinking it would be 'quite smart'.
A real case of not thinking things through.

My thoughts exactly.

When you first get the car you think 'Clever!' but in reality it's irritating.