New Guy - My poor V6tdi - What would YOU do??

MIKEV6TDI

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I was hoping to join and get involved showing new pictures of my new car, A4 2.5tdi ake Quattro. Before I had chance she broke down a WEEK after I bought her! Took her to my guy who is v good with audis, Its the INJECTION PUMP needs replacing!

I was going to take the car to him soon to get cambelt waterpump etc done. I think the only positive is replacing the injection pump involves exposing the cambelt etc so I can get all that done while the front end of the car is off.

I'm looking at a possible £1200 maybe even more to have the work done. One good thing is I only payed £1500 for the car as she was a part exchange clearance.

What do you guys think? What is the car worth as it is? Wish id stretched and just got a b7 3.0tdi now!

I do love this car tho. What would you do?

First the 3ltdi have there own problems so dont feel bad the second guess it comes down to how much you want to put into how long were you planing on keeping it

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

You've made your choice so I suppose you'll have to see it through and do the repair. The thing is once you have it done you will have peace of mind. It's the age old 2.5 v6 tdi problem their famous for it. Welcome to the forum, Quattro, good choice, love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas, just a hard choice as most of my money needs to go on a new work van, me and the mrs have owned crappy lil eco citroens and corsas recently its killed me, ive always had mk1 mk2 golfs, corrados etc. ive had an a3 in the past but ive got to say, even though this new car is old in most peoples opinion its 2004 model, I absolutely love it. I don't care what anyone says about the v6 tdi's they are sooo nice.

Ive thought about just leaving it and selling it spares and repairs, getting off the money drain train. And if I spend the money on it yes I will have peace of mind, ill probably be in for a penny in for a pound then, rs4 tdi hybrid project :grin::smilingimp:

What do you chaps reckon a nice straight and clean 2.5 tdi Quattro saloon manual model is worth? Bearing in mind it will have a huge receipt for new vp44 pump and all belts done etc!

If it's a 2004 model it should have a 'B' series engine - BDH or similar not an AKE. Unless of course, like me, you've just found out a previous owner has stuck old bits in!

If it's a 2004 model it should have a 'B' series engine - BDH or similar not an AKE. Unless of course, like me, you've just found out a previous owner has stuck old bits in!

Interesting, so how does the BDH differ to the AKE, is it still a 180bhp version? It definitely feels it. Oh no, did you have big problems?

I believe most of the differences are in the heads - roller rockers instead of the original finger rockers which should help the cams last longer. Though the B series engines were supposed to have a revised injection pump that was less susceptible to the ecu failures that usually killer the original ones.

BDH is also 180bhp, and is the engine code my car is supposed to have though I recently found out that someone has apparently changed the heads to older AKE ones, for what reason I don't know. I'm beginning to suspect it may have suffered timing belt failure and bent valves. It still runs well, and the V6 is so much smoother than the 4 pots - that are great engines when running well. Good luck getting yours sorted and I hope you get to enjoy it.

Frank

what fault was showing up in vcds regarding the injector pump? I only ask as i had mine fail on my ake and it turned out to be a cheap fix with replacement of a faulty transister on the control module, theres a load of companies who can repair it for around £40, I had a coms error with control module flag up on mine if that helps

I believe most of the differences are in the heads - roller rockers instead of the original finger rockers which should help the cams last longer. Though the B series engines were supposed to have a revised injection pump that was less susceptible to the ecu failures that usually killer the original ones.

BDH is also 180bhp, and is the engine code my car is supposed to have though I recently found out that someone has apparently changed the heads to older AKE ones, for what reason I don't know. I'm beginning to suspect it may have suffered timing belt failure and bent valves. It still runs well, and the V6 is so much smoother than the 4 pots - that are great engines when running well. Good luck getting yours sorted and I hope you get to enjoy it.

Frank
Thanks very much. That's what I love about it, so smooth and love the torque. Just feels great to drive.

what fault was showing up in vcds regarding the injector pump? I only ask as i had mine fail on my ake and it turned out to be a cheap fix with replacement of a faulty transister on the control module, theres a load of companies who can repair it for around £40, I had a coms error with control module flag up on mine if that helps
Thanks that's a great piece of advice I did check with my mechanic, I'm not sure what the actual fault code was, but I do trust him and hes working closely with a close colleague at centralvwaudi in Elsmere port I think. They are certain it is the pump itself, so ive said to go ahead and have the work done :confounded::confounded:. On the "plus" side, I wont be paying any more in labour to get the cambelt and water pump, tensioners etc thrown on at the same time, as it all needs to come off to get to the pump. Expensive month for me, but I'm sure ill enjoy the car for a while.