Audi factory tour

steve184

Reaction score
Was watching the audi channel the other day and it was showcasing this audi factory tour thing that you buy as a package i presume - you drive your car to germany stop a few times on the way (one time at nurburg for a little spin round this little track they have there or sommat.. ;-) then you have day lookin round factory and stuff and come home again over a couple of days - sounds like a bit of a laugh blasting down the old autobahns.. thing is it said go to website for more info but nothing there..

anyone heard of it...... tried it... or fancy it? or is it indeed a bit of a sad thing to do? lol

I asked the dealer what was involved in collecting my new S3 from Inglostat (as i know other forum members have done this), the way i look at it, i can run it in, save myself the delivery charge and get to drive it a couple of days earlier... :w00t:

I'll let you know what comes back as there must be some web site/brochure/details for this too...

Steve184,

I think people from the TT forum once did a trip to the TT factory (is it in Hungary or somewhere?), and by all accounts it was well worth it, and a great holiday.

Stevec,

I'm quite tempted by an Inglostadt pick-up for my S3. Last time around for me, picking up my personal import 8L S3 from a dealer in Germany was *so* special, its hard to describe the feeling. Would be even better driving all the way from Inglostadt - the autobahns a just built for speed.

Granted, there are speed limits, in fact very strict, with cameras. But when you get to an unrestricted zone, that is just what it is. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Anyway, enough babble, please let me know what you find out. :)

AL

i dont understand how you can drive a car back from factory - what about number plates road tax DVLA stuff, pre-delivery insepctions all that sort of stuff

It will be inspected in the factory, registered in Germany with German pates and tax, once it is back in the UK you apply for a english plate and tax. Simple as that!

It was me who arranged the trip to Ingolstadt for the TT-Forum. As said it is a great experience. Ingolstadt is the Blackpool Pleasure beach for Audi lovers.

No plans yet for this year but will be looking to do it again in Spring 2008.

I asked Audi UK about collection at Ingolstadt for the TT2 but its a no go. They have trialled it and decided not to continue due to registration problems. The other thing to consider is if yo turn up and are not hsappy with the car. No dealer to moan at and stuck in Germany if you reject the car.

Steve

steve184 said:
Was watching the audi channel the other day and it was showcasing this audi factory tour thing that you buy as a package i presume - you drive your car to germany stop a few times on the way (one time at nurburg for a little spin round this little track they have there or sommat.. ;-) then you have day lookin round factory and stuff and come home again over a couple of days - sounds like a bit of a laugh blasting down the old autobahns.. thing is it said go to website for more info but nothing there..

anyone heard of it...... tried it... or fancy it? or is it indeed a bit of a sad thing to do? lol

A friend of mine was on that actual trip and is on the TV programme! He said it was an excellent trip and wants to do it again. He did 3 or 4 laps of the 'ring on the way IIRC. I've never asked what the cost was, I'll ask when I see him in the week.

I've called in to Ingolstadt on a number of occasions on my way to or from a holiday in Austria with my Audi. I've had a couple of factory tours, the last one was just my wife and myself with an English speaking guide. He was quite happy to spend all afternoon showing us round and we saw the A3 production line. In each case we have booked the factory tour through Audi UK. If you want your own personal tour with an English speaking guide there is a small charge. The Audi Forum at the factory complex in Ingolstadt is well worth a visit. It has the new car collection centre, a museum, several restaurants and a shop selling Audi goodies. It's very easy to access as Ingolstadt is just off the autobahn north of Munich. The drive there is worth it in it's own right. Empty French autoroutes and stretches of de-restricted German autobahn.

In June this you we're off to Austria again and we normally cross France one day, stop the night near Baden-Baden in Germany and then carry on to Austria the next day. But this year we're going to stay near Baden-Baden for a few days and we're going to visit the Audi Forum at the other main Audi factory complex at Neckarsulm.

I went on the A3 tour last September - thought it was great. Reserved a place on an English speaking tour (every day at 11.30am - should book beforehand) and was taken round the factory so got to see from the inital panel pressing to the finished car. The whole thing was about 2 hours or so.

Well worth it and only cost 4 Euros.

Audi do an official tour - costs a few hundred pounds though, and this is probably what they are promoting on the Audi channel, but you get 4 or 5 days of accommodation etc thrown in. I visited as part of my own holiday tour round the Alpine passes and back through Germany for about the same cost in total (mostly petrol!). Nurburgring is almost directly on your route home too, if you fancy it. And there are plenty of bits of unrestricted Autobahn to have fun on the way too!

Go to www.audi.com/forums and follow the various links to get to the Forum tours and guide. It's in English too. You need to email welcome@audi.de to reserve your places.

Hi all,

Been thinking about this for a while now, thought it would be good to see the heart of these cars being built right in front of your own eyes.

Anybody been on a tour lately or anyone else out there that might be interested?

James