1999 agu 8l A3 turbo shuts down when reach op temp

willhutson74

Reaction score
our 99 A3 turbo shuts down when gets up to op temp .. we replaced ect sensor thinking it was that as takes 10 to 15 minutes to warm up to op temp .. could it actually be rooted thermostat

stat is a mechanical device... if it gets up to temp that its not the stat causing the engine to 'shut down'...

Define 'shut down'...

The ECU relies on a number of sensors for it to be able to run the engine... if any one of those sensors are faulty then it will cause running issues... Lambda, MAF etc are the prime candidates but do not discount mechanical issues like air leaks from split pipes...

When getting up to temp the ECU is in cold start enrichment mode so a big air leak could be masked a bit... once up to temp then it will try and fuel correctly and an air leak will effect the AFR and potentially cause the engine to run badly and plausibly stall out..

A scan for fault codes is the next step (preferably with VCDS)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Alex C
can't afford to put it on Scantool .. any other way of getting codes ?

shut down .. ECU turns car off and we can't restart unless it's cold again

shut down .. ECU turns car off and we can't restart unless it's cold again

How can you tell if the ECU is shutting down without scanning?

ECU's don't 'shut down'... they may not work if voltage is too low but they don't 'shut down'... I assume the engine turns over but doesn't fire?...

Like I said, needs scanning for fault codes as if it is a sensor related issue there should be an associated fault code

can't afford to put it on Scantool .. any other way of getting codes ?
Information on how to get suitable tools for scanning cheaply here...
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...lp-please-read-before-posting-updated.168407/

<tuffty/>

it shuts down turns off won't restart won't go stops whilst driving .. shuts own

won't even jump start .. runs 100% otherwise but as stated to start with takes forever to get to operate temp

Still need to scan it dude...

Could be any number of things... if the engine turns over but does not fire (making an assumption this is the case as your replies are a little vague) then heat could be affecting one of the sensors in some way causing it to fail...

ECU will need a reliable signal from the crank sensor and cam position sensor to fire... if it cannot get a signal from one of these reliably then the ECU won't know when to fire so won't...

Need to scan it for faults... it is the only way you are going to get any clues as to whats going on

<tuffty/>

your problem is most likely the crank sensor IMO. Happened to me a few times in the past. Walk home, return with tow car, magically it starts fine again.

Reactions: willhutson74
yeah where is crank sensor located .. I did the pour cold water on cam sensor but that did nothing .. apparently if I run cold water on the sensor directly when it 8s supposedly faulting it will keep it running

putting on a Scantool in NZ isn't cheap 260 bux .. just for scanning

engine_block.jpg

I need to go on actual Audi Scantool .. been told that by guy who has obd2 Scantool . it came up with nothing .. no faults no codes no stored codes .. has to be actual Audi Scantool and oscilloscope in one

VCDS is the same thing... generic OBD scan tools don't do all VAG based codes...

VCDS Lite, that cable and the links in the post I linked earlier will do all you need...

<tuffty/>

I will try to work out how to create eBay account and how to pay UK from NZ then and ask what shipping to NZ will be .. I don't have laptop so how else can I read codes etc

I need to go on actual Audi Scantool .. been told that by guy who has obd2 Scantool . it came up with nothing .. no faults no codes no stored codes .. has to be actual Audi Scantool and oscilloscope in one

No, you don't. You just need to be prepared to learn a little to help yourself and save a load of money.

Do a bit of reading, it's probably frowned upon by admin, but it's entirely possible to crack the vagcom 409-1 software to be a fully activated version and do all the data logging you would ever need. A

Audi don't have any software that will tell you anything more than vagcom can.

I'd just change the crank sensor though for what it'll cost. I'm almost certain that's your issue.

No, you don't. You just need to be prepared to learn a little to help yourself and save a load of money.

Do a bit of reading, it's probably frowned upon by admin, but it's entirely possible to crack the vagcom 409-1 software to be a fully activated version and do all the data logging you would ever need. A

Audi don't have any software that will tell you anything more than vagcom can.

I'd just change the crank sensor though for what it'll cost. I'm almost certain that's your issue.
thanks .. I'll remove it .. test current draw etc and report back

if it works when it's cold, that isn't going to tell you anything mate.

They cost sodd all, just replace it.

are you actually from middle earth?

If the above Lord of the Rings / NZ reference is accidental, then it might just be the most wonderful thing I'll read this week.

If it's intentional, then you're definitely my new hero SK :hearteyes:

Reactions: superkarl
are you actually from middle earth?
no .. I'm from wythenshawe in Manchester .. but my computer **** itself a yr ago and I haven't been able to afford a new one since then .. everything gets done on my phone ..

if it works when it's cold, that isn't going to tell you anything mate.

They cost sodd all, just replace it.
cost sod all .. hmmm .. I think you earn ten times what i do if you think they cost sod all .. my mates an auto sparky and my ect was 90 bux .. hardly cheap .. so I'm imagining the crank and cam sensors will cost considerably more

I can't find anything for sale other than Australia .. can't find any links to any NZ businesses hence why I'm asking on here

Part number appears to be 06A906433C

(https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/1999-201/9/906-906000/#8)

based on the symptoms you describe and previous members experiences it suggests the crank sensor is at fault... tricky to identify when its only failing under certain conditions but maybe this will help
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a3...tion_system/testing_engine_speed_sender_-g28/

Beyond that its find a sensor from where ever you can (a mate with a 1.8t engined vag of some description so Golf, Skoda, Seat etc or a new one)

<tuffty/>