Number plate fixings questions

Daz4311

Reaction score
Know..had my car 3 months now..when I picked it up it had the standard audi plates stuck on...now I had my own nice plates from my last car...but couldn't be bothered changing them at the time...as I knew at some point the front plate would fall of...and today it has...so couple of questions
Do i screw a plate surrounds on ..a proper audi sport one..and put plate in that
Or do I
Stick my nice fancy plate on with some sort of...ideas would be nice lol..sticky tape so I don't have to screw into my grill..as I don't really fancy screwing them in... but if I stick them on will they just fall of again...a really dilemma lol

Also

Noticed the lip above were the front plate goes..the plastic bit that is a sort of gunmetal plastic...theres a small bit that has a 1 inch scratch down to the black plastic umderneath...any ideas what I could touch it up with folks

Try halfords for some proper number plate sticky pads. iv had mine on for ages. they don't fall off easily. Mine is just over 3 yrs old and my rear one came off around 3 months ago under the pressure from the pressure washer. Think it was on from new. Personally i couldn't fit the front surround well enough to make it look ok, the front mount already has a lip so the one i had looked horrible. Others might be able to help.

Try halfords for some proper number plate sticky pads. iv had mine on for ages. they don't fall off easily. Mine is just over 3 yrs old and my rear one came off around 3 months ago under the pressure from the pressure washer. Think it was on from new. Personally i couldn't fit the front surround well enough to make it look ok, the front mount already has a lip so the one i had looked horrible. Others might be able to help.
I've got a surround I was gonna use..but like you say..there is already a lip so adding a front surround I think will look a bit stupid..so I'm left with sticking the plate on

The jet washer was making my rear plate keep falling off aswell with adhesive tape, swapped it out for gorilla tape and no problems yet!

Reactions: Ormesome
I've got the Audi Sport holder on mine but waiting on a new plate coming without the space. The dealer screwed the original plate on at the front so I need to find a way to get the new front plate to stick as I sure as hell ain't screwing it in.

Attachments

• Bya27r9.jpg
    Bya27r9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,921
Reactions: Rob2k68
Just got some 3m clear vhb tape from work..reckon this should be ok guys and gals????

Just got some 3m clear vhb tape from work..reckon this should be ok guys and gals????

The black 3M trip tape held my pressed plates on for years.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Daz4311
I use 3M dual lock so I can take the plates off for cleaning behind them. Sure it does mean that they are removable if some unscrupulous fellow decides s/he wants them, but two screws or double-sided tape are hardly the anti-theft device of the century :p

Reactions: Tom.H and Rob2k68
My rear plate is in a carrier, but the carrier is lose and it drops on the LHS - therefore looks wonky.

I cant actually figure out how the plate is attached to the carrier, presumably stuck on... so ill need to brute force remove it and then see why the carrier itself is moving around.

Ah well, another job for the weekend.

Reactions: AL_B
Actually, I've also just bought a genuine Audi Sport one, so will get that on it too - hate the dealer one.....

Reactions: Rob2k68
Get some velcro works fantastic and you can take them off
When doing a detail
AndyF Team Lava

I used the 3M tape that came with my UltraTek plates, they haven't moved in 2.5 years. Funnily enough I've just bought some dental floss to get them off :)

I use 3M dual lock so I can take the plates off for cleaning behind them. Sure it does mean that they are removable if some unscrupulous fellow decides s/he wants them, but two screws or double-sided tape are hardly the anti-theft device of the century :p
That's what my mate uses on his Golf GTi, he said if they want them that bad they would just rip them off anyway, so may as well save damage to the paint and bumpers!

Reactions: Tom.H
I'm about to put my private plates on and they'll be screwed on.
I still have the ones from my S5 but the front screw holes are in a slightly different position to the S3.
They're still in great condition therefore I grudge being completely new ones.
Can I simply use self tapping screws to create new holes in the panel on the front of the car?

The Halfords plate sticky holders... nooooo chance of it falling off mate.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
The answer is yes, self tapping screws will work.

Personally, if go back to your dealer and ask if they can what you up a plain white plate (no gb badge) and then use the stickers they will, probably, supply to stick it on.

Once cured, they are a menace to get off!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
The Halfords plate sticky holders... nooooo chance of it falling off mate.
The answer is yes, self tapping screws will work.

Personally, if go back to your dealer and ask if they can what you up a plain white plate (no gb badge) and then use the stickers they will, probably, supply to stick it on.

Once cured, they are a menace to get off!

I generally prefer screws and caps after a few issues with sticky pads.
The dealer, who I've dealt with for years, did say to give him a shout once I was ready to put them on but just thought I'd be as well using the ones I had for the sake of drill a couple of new holes.

Just did mine. Self tapping screws into plastic plugs that go into square holes. There's a thin foam pad on the rear so not ideal for double sided tape. One side has loosened off slightly but I will get a very slightly thicker screw to spread the plastic plug better and tighten up the fit in the square hole.

The front old one was removed and all the glue removed. New one stuck on with 3M double sided tape. It's absolutely solid.

This is how the front plates look like when using plate holder. Will have to screw a couple of self tapping screws at the top edges to try and follow the contour of the bumper one day

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_200538.jpg
    IMG_20170928_200538.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,746