Apx to BAM conversion

WezS3

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Has anybody got experience with this conversion.

I've just finished building my s3 swapped blown APX engine out to a BAM replaced loom and ecu with the engine.

I try starting the car, it turns over, fires and then stops

I've double checked the wires and vacuum pipes and all are connected.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to get it running?

Thanks

Unless the ECU has had the immo disabled the immobiliser will alow the engine to start for a few seconds and then cut out. Have you checked it for fault codes.

Unless the ECU has had the immo disabled the immobiliser will alow the engine to start for a few seconds and then cut out. Have you checked it for fault codes.
Yeah the codes that came up were p0011 and p0036. I replaced the camshaft sensor and p0011 doesn't reappear. P0036 is secondary o2 sensor, deleted that and it hasn't come back on yet.

I having had the immo disabled so that will be it. Will get in touch with Audi this week

Cheers

Have a look on ebay, you can get ECU's with the immo already disabled for pretty cheap.

Reactions: SamHendry
Have a look on ebay, you can get ECU's with the immo already disabled for pretty cheap.
Thanks. Got one on order should be here in a few days, will let you know if it sorts the problem

Just to confirm, that sounds like an immo problem for sure.

Do you have some links, info on how you went from APX to BAM, what needs to be changed in the loom ?
I have an APY and might go the same route.

I having got any stage pics because I broke my phone that had all the pics on(this made it fun getting all the pipes in the right place)

I swapped everything engine, inlet manifold, ecu, both parts of loom, turbo.

Attachments

• 20170526_192635.jpg
    20170526_192635.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,496
Just to confirm, that sounds like an immo problem for sure.

Do you have some links, info on how you went from APX to BAM, what needs to be changed in the loom ?
I have an APY and might go the same route.

The ecu sorted the starting problem but ran into another one.

The car runs and drives but when I hit boost it looses all power n backfires.

The second sensor isn't plugged in and isn't coded out- could this be the problem? I've seen mixed views about it that it runs fine with engine light and some say it runs like ****

Any suggestions appreciated

i reckon install everything as it should like a stock motor. diagnose from there. then delete stuff once you got it all running right.

Without all the sensors the ECU is expecting it will be very difficult to diagnose... the ECU will be expecting the post cat lambda... without it fuel trims won't operate...

You also need to understand what the fault codes mean...
P0011 is not the cam position sensor... its the VVT...
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16395/P0011/000017

This is typically due to a faulty VVT unit... its not unusual though to see this on first start if the engine has just been rebuilt or has been left standing for a while...
P0036 is because the post cat lambda is not connected...
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16420/P0036/000054

A full delete on post cat lambda is possible but I generally leave it in if its there and code out the efficiency part so it keeps the ECU happy... then leave it electrically connected..

Not sure what you are using to scan the car but use VCDS... generic scanners don't pick up all the codes VAG use

Rescan and post up...

...one last thing... did your old setup have an engine control relay? if not did you fit one?

<tuffty/>