Boost gauge-PSI or BAR?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Morning guys, i intend to have my car remapped at some point later on this year, and in preperation, i want to fit a boost gauge.

i cant decide if i should get one that reads in psi or BAR?

the BAR ones ive seen seem to go up to 1.5 bar, and the psi ones all seem to go to around 30psi

PSI i can relate to more, but i wasnt sure if there were any other sensible reasons to go for one or the other?

any ideas?

heres a pic of the custom pillar pod i made, and had carpeted with a crashed A3 headlining :)

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1167804423/gallery_168_26_47454.jpg

Most people talk about boost in bar. Might be better to go for that one. However, remaps can take you up over 1.5 bar. If it were me, I'd be looking at a a guage that goes up to about 2.0bar. Try demon Tweeks.

personnal choice, i prefer PSI simply because the pressures i deal with at work are 100's of bar so don't consider it the right unit for boost pressures :p

I'll go with PCI since in a 30 PSI gauge you could see a variation of at leats 0,5 psi, that wouldn't be noticiable in a BAR gauge, just my 2 cents

dammit, lights up better than my Autometer Phantom...

DSC00214.jpg

Prawn, where did you get the cloth to trim your a-pillar?

the cloth was cut out of a headlinning from a crashed 1.6 i found in a scrap yard.

i also used the spare pillar, so i can refit my original should i come to sell the car in an original state.

tall paul- where did your pillar pod come from? i wasnt aware there were any made for the A3!

out of interest, what boost readings are you guys getting from remapped cars?

edit: i forgot to say thanks for the advice, im going with psi for sure.

sadly though, i really cant afford any autometer kit right now!

Got the boost gauge in and working now

had to loose my beloved phone holder for the boost gauge, as it sits right where my phone did. took the rod off the back of the holder, and zip tied it onto the air vent, and i actually really like it in its new place, i can still operate all the buttons with one finger without taking my hand of the wheel, so its ideal :)

anyway, here she is, currently appears to be boosting to around 7psi tops.

went for a multi colour gauge, as it was the only one i could find that did a nice red, and matched the audi dials. (within my price range!)

blue appears to be a little more visable in bright sunlight (the dial is semi dark faced-so is lit permanently while the ignition is on)

Cockpit now with phone mounted in the air vent:

illumination at night:

Just ordered a hard wire straight power cable for the road angel, which ill route around the base of the screen from the fuse box, and hopefully neaten things up a little bit more :)

is 7psi boost about right for my car?

seems to hit 6ish easily when i floor it in 2nd, and on occasions uphill in 3rd its going to around 7ish, perhaps 7.5....

edit: the forum resizing the pics makes them a little unclear, clicking on them they appear much clearer :)

Hi all!

I fitted a Stealth Boost gauge to my S3 last year some time, I had considered the pillar mounts but found it too much work and didn't want to view the gauge all the time, I instead mounted it in the centre section of the car, beneath the ash tray in the space there and flush mounted it. It is slightly angled towards me but can easily be read by my passenger. Some have commented that because it's not in the eye line, you can't make a correct diagnosis. In the event that I feel I am losing boost, I have always had my girlfriend or mate monitor the boost whilst I have been driving and it's been okay. Will add images later if people are interested.

The gauge I have glows red (to match the interior at night) and when switched off is completely black so no one knows it's in there.

Cheers.,

Ant