Facelift The S3 is Rapid...

ASRman

Reaction score
So over the past week I've somehow ran into two A45 AMGs in my FL S3 (3 dr S tronic). First one came out of nowhere and just saw him sat on my rear bumper obviously trying it on, dropped it down a couple of gears (manual) and just floored it , I was expecting him to either over take (was an empty dual carriageway) or at the least stick to my bumper. To my surprise the S3 started slowly edging away !? I think it was a pre facelift A45 but regardless people always say the A45 is in a different league I think this goes to show it's just not the case at all.

Then yesterday I ran into a new A45 with the aero kit (66 plate) and extra power. He caught site of my on a roundabout and I immediately saw him floor it to give chase. As we both entered ( strangely the same dual carriageway) we both floored it, basically nothing in it, he couldn't edge any closer I couldn't pull away. Not sure if merc overrate their cars or Audi underrate theirs but was very surprised by the results. I was thinking of getting the mtm box for the car but it's more than fast enough stock for now

Reactions: amit87, Ad72, Milnesafc and 5 others
So over the past week I've somehow ran into two A45 AMGs in my FL S3 (3 dr S tronic). First one came out of nowhere and just saw him sat on my rear bumper obviously trying it on, dropped it down a couple of gears (manual) and just floored it , I was expecting him to either over take (was an empty dual carriageway) or at the least stick to my bumper. To my surprise the S3 started slowly edging away !? I think it was a pre facelift A45 but regardless people always say the A45 is in a different league I think this goes to show it's just not the case at all.

Then yesterday I ran into a new A45 with the aero kit (66 plate) and extra power. He caught site of my on a roundabout and I immediately saw him floor it to give chase. As we both entered ( strangely the same dual carriageway) we both floored it, basically nothing in it, he couldn't edge any closer I couldn't pull away. Not sure if merc overrate their cars or Audi underrate theirs but was very surprised by the results. I was thinking of getting the mtm box for the car but it's more than fast enough stock for now

Just a thought, but you do know that racing on the highway, at any speed, is just a bit naughty, and not a little bit daft. Not quite as daft mind, as writing it down on a public Internet forum for the CPS to use against you later... ;)

Road Traffic Act 1988 S12 - Motor racing and speed trials on public ways.
Tried summarily, fine of Level 4 on the standard scale, obligatory disqualification, obligatory endorsement 3 - 11 points. Plus the speeding, plus the invalid insurance, plus the dangerous driving... So it's the kind of naughty that could easily see you on a pushbike for a year or two, paying for a car you can't use, and wishing you'd never given in to the temptation.

Oh, It's rapid alright... just be careful with it.

Reactions: MrSkimo, Flying Scotsman, Neil C and 4 others
I thought exactly the same as Grant reading that tbh before I saw his reply.

You also have no idea about the other driver.
You said you gave the S3 full power, but the Merc may have used say 80%. You have no idea - unless you spoke to the other driver afterwards?

Maybe write to all the motoring magazines and tell them that they've all got their stats wrong.
And tell them what they should be?

But regardless..... the S3 is plenty fast enough for public roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and KenL
Give the guy a break! He's just enthusiastic about his car as we all are. So none of you have ever 'put your foot down' a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sukhy, Craig Cull, David McQueen and 24 others
You also have no idea about the other driver.
You said you gave the S3 full power, but the Merc may have used say 80%. You have no idea - unless you spoke to the other driver afterwards?

Maybe write to all the motoring magazines and tell them that they've all got their stats wrong.
And tell them what they should be?

But regardless..... the S3 is plenty fast enough for public roads.

Relax ... I'm just stating what I came across and it happened twice in a week so would be a bit odd if both merc drivers only used 80% when they clearly saw the 'lesser' car pulling away ... But I suppose it is possible yes, also possible that they may have started edging away as speeds got higher but still mighty impressive for the s3

Give the guy a break! He's just enthusiastic about his car as we all are. So none of you have ever 'put your foot down' a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently not, I don't understand why they went for S3s when they could have gone for 1.0 diesels. Wait for them now to say they go for a spirited drive when circumstances allow, even if they don't technically break the speed limit accelerating rapidly depending on the conditions may still come under driving without due care and attention, so breaking the law. And if they have never done that either well then like I said should have gone for the 1.0 diesel could have even got it in sportline lol

Reactions: Craig Cull, azibux1, FBF01 and 2 others
Apparently not, I don't understand why they went for S3s when they could have gone for 1.0 diesels. Wait for them now to say they go for a spirited drive when circumstances allow, even if they don't technically break the speed limit accelerating rapidly depending on the conditions may still come under driving without due care and attention, so breaking the law. And if they have never done that either well then like I said should have gone for the 1.0 diesel could have even got it in sportline lol

You'll be waiting a while....

No one here is giving you a hard time, but if you want adulation and applause for your declaration of daftness though, you're probably on the wrong website. Essentially, I said be careful, and be aware of just how big a book they'll throw at you, because it won't just be a 3 point fixed penalty fine. They will ban you.

Should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an incident of more severity that warrants plod digging a little deeper into the evidence pile, your post on a popular Internet forum about racing other cars on multiple occasions might not lend a great deal of credibility your defence of "I wasn't racing m'lud", and it will simply expedite your transition to long term pedestrianism.

You'd think that might be enough to kerb the enthusiasm a little, and for you to reflect and say something like "****** hell, yes, that is quite a risk I'm taking, especially as I've already got 6 points". But no, you delivered troll like responses about competing levels of silly and 1.0 diesels.

My post wasn't that silly, and its certainly not as silly as stating the ****** obvious whilst simultaneously incriminating yourself. Of course the S3 is rapid, we know it's rapid, that why we all bought one... Just be careful with it, or it might be that your lack of maturity could lead you down a path where a 1.0 diesel is thing to envy, and your posts relate to how your Halfords boardman 10 speed kept up with that £6000 Tour de France carbon replica.

Reactions: Philip Davies, BigBill, Flying Scotsman and 9 others
You'll be waiting a while....

No one here is giving you a hard time, but if you want adulation and applause for your declaration of daftness though, you're probably on the wrong website. Essentially, I said be careful, and be aware of just how big a book they'll throw at you, because it won't just be a 3 point fixed penalty fine. They will ban you.

Should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an incident of more severity that warrants plod digging a little deeper into the evidence pile, your post on a popular Internet forum about racing other cars on multiple occasions might not lend a great deal of credibility your defence of "I wasn't racing m'lud", and it will simply expedite your transition to long term pedestrianism.

You'd think that might be enough to kerb the enthusiasm a little, and for you to reflect and say something like "****** hell, yes, that is quite a risk I'm taking, especially as I've already got 6 points". But no, you delivered troll like responses about competing levels of silly and 1.0 diesels.

My post wasn't that silly, and its certainly not as silly as stating the ****** obvious whilst simultaneously incriminating yourself. Of course the S3 is rapid, we know it's rapid, that why we all bought one... Just be careful with it, or it might be that your lack of maturity could lead you down a path where a 1.0 diesel is thing to envy, and your posts relate to how your Halfords boardman 10 speed kept up with that £6000 Tour de France carbon replica.

Cut the fancy language it doesn't make you seem any smarter. Your post does not make sense, lets break it down...

1. In response to my suggestion that you will reply stating you go for spirited drives when the circumstances allow, you said ''you'll be waiting a while", thereby confirming you do not go for spirited drives no matter the circumstances or conditions. Again I ask why did you buy an S3 ?

2. I was not looking for any type of applaud I was simply sharing an experience I had with a competitor car to the S3, seeing as many people on this site own S3s, and probably do not drive it like you 100% of the time, thought they might like to know.

3. Thank you for confirming the penalties for dangerous driving, racing on a public highway, I have an LLB Law degree so I am quite aware of the penalties.

4. As for the plod digging further into the evidence pile, ill just say you've made a lot of assumptions here regarding my details on this site, I'm also pretty sure that nowhere in my post have I stated the speeds I was travelling.

5. Now lets look at your last couple of paragraphs because this is where you tend to contradict yourself quite a bit. "We know the S3 is rapid, thats why we all bought one", refer to point 1 above, yet you have never taken the car for a spirited drive? Like I said, cut the fancy language and state your issues clearly, is the issue the fact I posted this experience on a public forum? Or the fact I drive the car how its supposed to be driven (i.e. spirited driving where conditions/circumstances allow).

Look forward to hearing your replies to the above, but as it stands, it seems that either you are (a) a bit daft/confused or (b) should have gone for a 1.0 diesel.

Last edited:
Reactions: rams_s3, Riko0073, AudiNutta and 7 others
This thread is pure comedy... give the guy a break, right or wrong op just wanted to share his experience against a rival make. Unless you're specifically working within that industry, get off your high horse and leave him to deal with any potential consequences by himself.

Anyways, I had a similar experience although with a CLA45. Was pleasantly surprised when the S3 kept up and even started creeping ahead, more shocked was his passenger giving me a thumbs up in disbelief.

For the concerned here, this was an empty motorway at night without any speed limits being broken ;)

Reactions: Jonny Gordon, PanamaS3, AudiNutta and 3 others
Never come across an A45 AMG myself, but I've had a bit of a play with a V8 powered M3 before. Nothing in it at all, much to his annoyance.

414bhp V 296bhp. The S3's are quick !!!

The new RS3 must be biblically fast.

Reactions: batch, PanamaS3, AudiNutta and 2 others
I think the 310PS or whatever, is somewhat, conservative... Anyone dyno'ed a standard S3?

Reactions: ASRman
Cut the fancy language it doesn't make you seem any smarter. Your post does not make sense, lets break it down...

1. In response to my suggestion that you will reply stating you go for spirited drives when the circumstances allow, you said ''you'll be waiting a while", thereby confirming you do not go for spirited drives no matter the circumstances or conditions. Again I ask why did you buy an S3 ?

2. I was not looking for any type of applaud I was simply sharing an experience I had with a competitor car to the S3, seeing as many people on this site own S3s, and probably do not drive it like you 100% of the time, thought they might like to know.

3. Thank you for confirming the penalties for dangerous driving, racing on a public highway, I have an LLB Law degree so I am quite aware of the penalties.

4. As for the plod digging further into the evidence pile, ill just say you've made a lot of assumptions here regarding my details on this site, I'm also pretty sure that nowhere in my post have I stated the speeds I was travelling.

5. Now lets look at your last couple of paragraphs because this is where you tend to contradict yourself quite a bit. "We know the S3 is rapid, thats why we all bought one", refer to point 1 above, yet you have never taken the car for a spirited drive? Like I said, cut the fancy language and state your issues clearly, is the issue the fact I posted this experience on a public forum? Or the fact I drive the car how its supposed to be driven (i.e. spirited driving where conditions/circumstances allow).

Look forward to hearing your replies to the above, but as it stands, it seems that either you are (a) a bit daft/confused or (b) should have gone for a 1.0 diesel.

The circumstances of how I came to own an S3 or indeed how fast I choose to drive it are not relevant. I haven't just started a thread declaring how I had been racing on the public highway (apparently with full and expert legal knowledge and acceptance of the possible penalties), and then come up with some tissue thin diversionary diatribe about another member when he pointed out the downside of that endeavour.

If you can't take a bit of gentle guidance and criticism from your peers when you post things like this, don't post them.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Jassyo06 and richinsoton
I think we all need to take a step back and chill a bit! Let's not make this into a slanging match please! Remember children also use this forum!!!

I think we should end it now and move on :) we are all friends/car enthusiasts after all!

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, S37S and 1 other person
Never come across an A45 AMG myself, but I've had a bit of a play with a V8 powered M3 before. Nothing in it at all, much to his annoyance.

414bhp V 296bhp. The S3's are quick !!!

The new RS3 must be biblically fast.

New RS3 will be silly fast as is the new TTRS

I think the 310PS or whatever, is somewhat, conservative... Anyone dyno'ed a standard S3?

Also interested in knowing this

The circumstances of how I came to own an S3 or indeed how fast I choose to drive it are not relevant. I haven't just started a thread declaring how I had been racing on the public highway (apparently with full and expert legal knowledge and acceptance of the possible penalties), and then come up with some tissue thin diversionary diatribe about another member when he pointed out the downside of that endeavour.

If you can't take a bit of gentle guidance and criticism from your peers when you post things like this, don't post them.

its time to stop posting.jpeg

Ok, my two cents on the willy waving discussion going on in this thread.

I drive a bit too quick for the public road sometimes and have occasionally be involved in, what you could class as 'Racing'. Although, such a statement is unfair to the other driver of the opposing vehicle as they obviously don't stand a chance against someone of my finely honed driving ability :haha:.

However, Racing is a bit strong for such an activity as it usually involves a blast upto *cough* the speed limit and ends after a few short minutes. Mainly for pure fear of my license...
I think, most people can relate to the above... it's not clever and if it goes wrong through judgement or being caught, it's going to hurt or worse. Yet, I still sometimes get drawn into such situations via my inability to resist the temptation. It's why I have a car which is ****** quick... I don't need a car that fast as you can't travel that fast on a public road right... well, I agree, it defies logic and is much more of an effort to pronounce how big my man hood is :hubbahubba:.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what the OP has said and I can honestly say, that I would have no doubt given it a squirt of the loud peddle aswell. However, I also agree with @GSB to a similar extent... If you do this on a motorway where traffic is light, or a dual carriageway, an up-ramp etc, then fine... the danger is very small and if you get caught, well, it's your own fault. If you 'race' through a 30 or 40 zone... then your a complete idiot and I have no sympathy for you if you get get or injure yourself.

Reactions: rams_s3, AudiNutta, MattSedg and 5 others
I've come across an a45 facelift and a prefacelift whilst I was a passenger in a jb1 powered golf r and there was hardly nothing between the golf and FL A45 and we hit about 120mph before we ran out of private land , Makes sense, similar weight and similar power, Pre facelift was another story, golf r started to pull away past 60mph. So a stock golf/s3 would not stand a chance against any A45 if both drivers were fully giving it.

Also had the chance against an M3 e93, golf r jb1 woud slowly pull away but then again an e93 is a lot heavier than the coupe/saloon versions. Stock golf r/s3 are quick (stock) but the new a45's just are just a lot rapid in comparison. Can't imagine the new rs3 with 400bhp now that would be touching F8x M3/M4 performance which is stupid quick for a factory stock car.

Reactions: AudiNutta and AL_B
I enjoyed reading the OP. Interesting to know how the S3 fairs against these "on paper" faster cars.

Would also be interested to see what stock S3's produce. In the early years of my S3 8P we did a rolling road day at a place in Stockport, and every single stock car was producing in the region of 290 bhp.

So I'm hoping, the S3 8V FL will be producing a little more than 310. (And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know rolling road figures can't be completely believed, for various reasons) Just saying, I think most cars produce more than what the manufacturer states.

I enjoyed reading the OP. Interesting to know how the S3 fairs against these "on paper" faster cars.

Would also be interested to see what stock S3's produce. In the early years of my S3 8P we did a rolling road day at a place in Stockport, and every single stock car was producing in the region of 290 bhp.

So I'm hoping, the S3 8V FL will be producing a little more than 310. (And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know rolling road figures can't be completely believed, for various reasons) Just saying, I think most cars produce more than what the manufacturer states.

I think it would be interesting to see what all these different high performance cars perform on the same dyno on the same same day to reduce variables to see the difference between power levels actually are, but I highly doubt owners of these cars would get together in one place to do this or even share their results. In my experience A lot of people who tune their cars claim to make 'xxx' bhp on dynos but the performance figures doesn't match those claims.

Reactions: AL_B
I've come across an a45 facelift and a prefacelift whilst I was a passenger in a jb1 powered golf r and there was hardly nothing between the golf and FL A45 and we hit about 120mph before we ran out of private land , Makes sense, similar weight and similar power, Pre facelift was another story, golf r started to pull away past 60mph. So a stock golf/s3 would not stand a chance against any A45 if both drivers were fully giving it.

Also had the chance against an M3 e93, golf r jb1 woud slowly pull away but then again an e93 is a lot heavier than the coupe/saloon versions. Stock golf r/s3 are quick (stock) but the new a45's just are just a lot rapid in comparison. Can't imagine the new rs3 with 400bhp now that would be touching F8x M3/M4 performance which is stupid quick for a factory stock car.

My experience told a different story and in no way shape or form was the FL S3 'miles off' the A45. I'd imagine that as speeds got higher (too high lol) the A45 (facelift) may have began to edge away but there didn't seem to be much in it in real world which is impressive for the S3.

The clear next level above the A45/R/S3 in my eyes is the M4 or equivalent. Had a quick run together with my friends M4 recently and once rolling the M4 noticeably just starts pulling away, serious machine :yes:

Straight line figures would be interesting for many of these cars, and I agree a group Dyno day with various machines would be very interesting. Perhaps followed by a blast down Bedford Autodrome lol.

However, I'd argue that an M3/M4 would see which way a S3 or A45 went when it comes to the twisties... they really do struggle to get the power down cleanly in my opinion. I was behind a briskly driven Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio the other night and out of roundabouts and tighter turns, you could see it wiggle with the TCS fighting to keep it on the black stuff. I had to keep backing off to not run into the back of him... of course, the driver could have had lead weights on his feet and just been mashing the peddle.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
@ASRman no one is disputing that the S3 is a fast car. Please think what you write on a public forum as members children and other young people do read the forum and talking about speeding is not setting a good example to the aforementioned. Let's look at this scenario, if anything happened and other vehicles were involved and insurance companies get involved, the first thing they do is look on forums, they wouldn't be to happy reading your post if a claim was made. We do have speed limits on public roads, no one is stating that you can't put your foot down on occasion, but you do so at the risk of your licence. So basically, just agree to disagree and think before you post something that is going to be taken differently by others. Everyone has there own opinion, but if this thread veers off topic, I will shut it down

Reactions: Tej13, THQuattro, batch and 5 others
@ASRman no one is disputing that the S3 is a fast car. Please think what you write on a public forum as members children and other young people do read the forum and talking about speeding is not setting a good example to the aforementioned. Let's look at this scenario, if anything happened and other vehicles were involved and insurance companies get involved, the first thing they do is look on forums, they wouldn't be to happy reading your post if a claim was made. We do have speed limits on public roads, no one is stating that you can't put your foot down on occasion, but you do so at the risk of your licence. So basically, just agree to disagree and think before you post something that is going to be taken differently by others. Everyone has there own opinion, but if this thread veers off topic, I will shut it down

I appreciate that young people might be reading this forum and my post was not made to endorse racing in any way. I am also of the view that as unfortunate as it is, if young people are going to speed, they are going to speed, and reading post on an Audi forum will do little to influence that decision. There are also lots of posts about users modifying their cars, to make them, faster... How will reading this affect a young persons judgement and decisions regarding speed? It was a simple side by side comparison in the early hours and on an empty dual carriageway. Like one of the above posters mentioned, anyone who races in heavy traffic is an idiot with a death wish. Your second point is a bit irrelevant as if something did happen then I wouldn't come onto a forum to write about it.

I appreciate that young people might be reading this forum and my post was not made to endorse racing in any way. I am also of the view that as unfortunate as it is, if young people are going to speed, they are going to speed, and reading post on an Audi forum will do little to influence that decision. There are also lots of posts about users modifying their cars, to make them, faster... How will reading this affect a young persons judgement and decisions regarding speed? It was a simple side by side comparison in the early hours and on an empty dual carriageway. Like one of the above posters mentioned, anyone who races in heavy traffic is an idiot with a death wish. Your second point is a bit irrelevant as if something did happen then I wouldn't come onto a forum to write about it.

@ASRman I wouldn't argue with @Sandra mate, she'll kick your ***... lol - plus she holds the keys and I can see this thread getting locked pretty damn fast... (not as fast as an S3 though hehe)

Reactions: PanamaS3, AudiNutta, BarryG79 and 9 others
Hahahaaha Ok Sandra I apologise just don't lock the thread please

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Mark_86
Hahahaaha Ok Sandra I apologise just don't lock the thread please
I will have you know I'm the most tolerant person on here and many will agree. I don't make a habit of posting unnecessarily, I do so for good reason, I'm also not in the habit of locking threads. Apology accepted. Happy posting.

Reactions: LJC105, Snake Pliskin, AudiNutta and 10 others
My experience told a different story and in no way shape or form was the FL S3 'miles off' the A45. I'd imagine that as speeds got higher (too high lol) the A45 (facelift) may have began to edge away but there didn't seem to be much in it in real world which is impressive for the S3.

The clear next level above the A45/R/S3 in my eyes is the M4 or equivalent. Had a quick run together with my friends M4 recently and once rolling the M4 noticeably just starts pulling away, serious machine :yes:

I do completely agree with you that on a day to day real life scenario that an s3 would be just as quick as an a45 or similar car of that power, but it's once you exceed the national speed limits on a dual carrigeway/motorway is where the a45 would show its rear end to an s3 but quite some margin, But then again that's why we have speed limits don't we. :tearsofjoy: M3/M4 are serious weapons in the dry and from a roll but off the mark in not so perfect conditions they do struggle to put all that power down.

I will have you know I'm the most tolerant person on here and many will agree. I don't make a habit of posting unnecessarily, I do so for good reason, I'm also not in the habit of locking threads. Apology accepted. Happy posting.

Damn... I'd just got the popcorn... :box: hehe

I do completely agree with you that on a day to day real life scenario that an s3 would be just as quick as an a45 or similar car of that power, but it's once you exceed the national speed limits on a dual carrigeway/motorway is where the a45 would show its rear end to an s3 but quite some margin, But then again that's why we have speed limits don't we. :tearsofjoy: M3/M4 are serious weapons in the dry and from a roll but off the mark in not so perfect conditions they do struggle to put all that power down.

I must confess, I tend to drive the S3 with much more restraint than my old ST. I've yet to really give it some proper hard core beans, mainly because on the few occasions where I've gotten into such situations, it's just too flipping fast for the road. You literally feel guilty for driving so quick... I need to have a track day in it to be honest.

Reactions: AudiNutta, MattSedg, SILVAF0XX and 2 others
New RS3 will be silly fast as is the new TTRS

Av driven the new TTRS now that is a genuinely fast car, the S3 is a quick car off the mark but it's mid range power is poor about no doubt in my mind the AMG is a faster car than a S3

Also interested in knowing this

its time to stop posting.jpeg

Hmm, not sure I would say the S3's mid-range performance is 'poor'... The performance is comparable with similar hatches in the same segment, A45 included. TTRS on the other hand, performance of that thing is just blistering, probably comparable with an R8 up to certain speeds, something like that comes up your rear, just move over and let him past lol

Check out Archie Hamilton on YouTube with a 450bhp A45, have a look at what the new TTRS does to him, not a pretty sight haha

Reactions: AudiNutta, deanshaw24 and Mark_86
Hmm, not sure I would say the S3's mid-range performance is 'poor'... The performance is comparable with similar hatches in the same segment, A45 included. TTRS on the other hand, performance of that thing is just blistering, probably comparable with an R8 up to certain speeds, something like that comes up your rear, just move over and let him past lol

Check out Archie Hamilton on YouTube with a 450bhp A45, have a look at what the new TTRS does to him, not a pretty sight haha
Yeah av seen it,but the S3 once up and moving wasn't any faster than my ST focus.but all this rapid stuff again l will say this like I've said since 3 weeks into ownership ,the S3's chassis /suspension ain't a match for its power

Reactions: PanamaS3
Jesus, there's some people on this forum that think they're worlds above everyone else :tearsofjoy:

My mate has a A45 AMG and we went a run out the other night, came up against a V8 Rangey SVR and of course we had a play ourselves. They're not as far apart as the papers would have you think.

34148790300_96890730b0_b.jpg

Reactions: RSS-S3, Zak0123, Audi Bairn and 6 others
Yeah av seen it,but the S3 once up and moving wasn't any faster than my ST focus.but all this rapid stuff again l will say this like I've said since 3 weeks into ownership ,the S3's chassis /suspension ain't a match for its power

Depends on how it's been specified. If it's got MagRide, then the chassis is pretty good. Much better than my previous Focus ST... just the steering lets it down. Also, the S3 & Golf R are very similar chassis wise, yet the motoring world heaps praise over the Golf R all day long. Mid range punch is not bad in the S3, even with others in the segment I'd say...

Reactions: ASRman

If your S3 is struggling against an standard ST focus I would be inclined to say there is something wrong with your car .... I've seen plenty of videos where the new Focus RS (350 odd bhp) is unable to pull a gap on an S3 8V no matter what speed...

My previous car was an R56 Mini JCW (208 bhp) and that was all over the current ST in terms of straight line performance (in the twisties it wasn't even close)

Last edited:
Depends on how it's been specified. If it's got MagRide, then the chassis is pretty good. Much better than my previous Focus ST... just the steering lets it down. Also, the S3 & Golf R are very similar chassis wise, yet the motoring world heaps praise over the Golf R all day long. Mid range punch is not bad in the S3, even with others in the segment I'd say...

Again you've got to pay £1300 for it handle a bit better, there's been a good few times where on a spirited drive that l have felt the S3 gutless, and personaly l don't think the S3 is a fast car, if l do get another one it
will be straight into Revo in greenock for stage1

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, MattSedg, PanamaS3 and 2 others
Actually I also came into the S3 via an ST (Estate) on the back roads I agree with Jassy, I could hurl the ST around just as quick. Obviously on a straight track it's different but on the twisty stuff, no, the S3's no dynamic car.

Hit the twisty roads against a current focus RS (Yes, I know someone who has one and we tried, safely of course) It's almost laughable.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Jassyo06
If your S3 is struggling against an standard ST focus I would be inclined to say there is something wrong with your car .... I've seen plenty of videos where the new Focus RS (350 odd bhp) is unable to pull a gap on an S3 8V no matter what speed...

My previous car was an R56 Mini JCW (208 bhp) and that was all over the current ST in terms of straight line performance (in the twisties it wasn't even close)
Nowt wrong with the S3 l have if there where, Audi would have told me so, again it's just my own opinion of the car

Reactions: Audi Bairn and PanamaS3
An interesting thread....I have a bigger willie than you. An A45 AMG glued to my back bumper-- let him pass as he is a bit of a twit and probably has poor driving skills, do not fall for the I will show you routine. Yes, I like spirited driving but not racing on public roads.
Comparing cars is very subjective...torque bandwidth....confidence level that each car delivers in braking, suspension and steering feedback etc. Those are the performance factors I look for in a car and the S3 meets most of my needs, but not all. It does fall down a bit in some areas, running out of steam above 4,500 rpm, steering feedback and the suspension, even with mag ride could be better. But all in all, it beat out the competing cars I was looking at.

Reactions: PanamaS3, richinsoton, Audi Bairn and 4 others
All I will add @jassyo06 to what you said is firstly I agree with you regarding mid-range punch on standard car....and having gone through Stage 1 and into Stage 2 I can tell you (although am sure you already know....) Stage 1 wakes up the horsepower, but Stage 2 opens up the mid-range a lot...
Regarding "having a play with other motorists" whilst its not big and/or clever I'd say the S3 surprises a LOT of other cars....late home from work one night I hit the dual carriageway off a roundabout alongside a couple of heavily modified street racers (370Z and Civic)...even had numbers on the cars....it wasn't a race per se as only short distance, I honestly expected to see both of them boost past me immediately but I was pulling away until I backed off at speed limit.....I was Stage 1 at time....very hard to beat the S3 in these circumstances over short distance. Now at Stage 2 I'm too scared in all honesty to play with people as I think the car is too limited to handle the power safely...and obviously its NOT safe kids!

Reactions: richinsoton, AudiNutta and Audi Bairn
It's actually turning out to be a good thread this. Interesting opinions.

In the real world driver ability/experience comes into play to a great extent.

The other day someone was right up my chuff in some 3 series as we pulled to some lights.

Decided on a quick blast off the line to get away from him.....and completely screwed the gear selection up.
Lots of revs and not much movement.

I was just hoping he didn't have a dashcam!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Sandra, ASRman and 5 others