96 a4 dead

Drift_this

Reaction score
Hey all, my girlfriend just bought a 96 a4 non quattro, v6. and we just drove it home from california(900 miles), and the next morning it just died and would not start. we have since then have only been able to get it to run for 10 maybe 15 seconds. we live in north Idaho and it has been very cold latley, we had a thought that maybe my fuel had gotten some water in it and was frozen. we put a jug of iso-heat in, and nothing. we now have it in our garage and we have the heat in there cranked up.. anyone had this issue before or know of any possible fixxes? many thanks -Aaron and megan

update, am not getting fuel or spark... the dash lights that are on are... fuel (steady on)
check engine (steady on)
antifreeze (blinking)
oil (blinking)
the temp goes to like 92... then back to outside temp.

My old audi 80 did that and it was the ignition coil. But if you have vag com or know anyone with it check it out before you buy a new coil. Also check fuses if you already haven't. There isn't a flashing key on the dash is there? if so i think you have to put the steering collom right down then back up and then put it in the middle as sometimes the immobiliser has a lose connection and so it will start and then die.
Hope this helps
Sam

Try to get it checked with vag-com before you do anything.

IIRC the early v6's are well known for crank sensor failure ? not sure how this presents symptoms but if the ecu does not know the engine is turning you would get no spark or fuel. If you head over to forum.performancevwmag.com there is a guy called Delta who is a bit of a guru for all things audi, im sure he wont mind helping you out.