96 2.8 a4

afourbfive

id rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6
Reaction score
alright when my girl got home from work yesterday she told me the heater control screen was off and she couldnt see it . this morning she tried to start it and it doesnt crank at all not even any noise . also a little while before this she told me the car stalled on her twice when she was going down my hill coming to the stop sign. is there any way this could be something with the transmission because it was throwing the vss code when we got the car but i replaced it and it worked fine for 2 weeks but now its throwing performance range or something like that ...........any help would be great thanks guys

Definately sounds like the ******* ignition key return problem.
The spring on the ignition barrel starts to fail so the key can work its way to the crank position while you're driving. Result: The climate control goes off (as it does when you crank the engine) and you burn out the starter motor.
this happened on my 2.8Q last month, funnily enough it was my wife driving it at the time. If you can bump start the car but get nothing if you jump start it then its defo the starter motor.
She'll need a new starter motor, about £300 as the front of the car has to come off and a new ignition switch, £20 from Audi and you can fit it yourself.
Part no. 4A0-905-849-B and they usually have them in stock as it's a common problem. There's a really good tech article on audiworld.com on how to replace the switch.

cool thanks looks like i got a little work ahead of me ....... thanks again