Bomz Induction kit for A3 1.8T 1999

shawshankuk

Glu Kru
Reaction score
Hi all, Im new to this forum and Im in need of some help.

I bought a bomz cold air induction kit from ebay ( See ebay item number 260058593610) but it didnt come with any instructions.

Im not stupid and have fitted induction kits to many cars before but what has baffled me is the mini filter that came with the kit. I have no idea if this is to be connected to the silicone hose or if it goes else where and the silicone hose connects to something else!! The reason I ask is cause the filter didnt come with any instructions so I'm a bit stuck. If anyone has one of these and can shed some light, please let me know.

Thanks

yours faithfully

confused

That kit looks ok, great price and i'm sure it'll give a great noise :)

The small filter is for the secondary air hose that your car might not have.

If there was a 1 inch diameter black corrugated hose that was connected to your OE airbox then the small filter should be fitted to the end of that. If you car hasn't got that hose then you don't need the filter ;)

Post some pics of it fitted too and let us know what it sounds like :)

I chose the kit cause it is very good quality for the money. The filter is exactly like a k&n but it costs 40 bucks less and it comes with an aluminium cold air ram. To be honest, I dont know of any kits like this for the money.

I'm going to fit the kit tomorrow. As far as I know I need to remove the battery to get the aluminium cold air feed to fit so should take about half an hour or so. I also heard its a good idea to disconnect the battery for 10 mins so the ecu can reset its self and adjust to the new air filter. Has anyone had any experince of this?

Anyway, I will get this done tomorrow and post some pics.

I doubt disconnecting the battery will be necessary as your new filter isnt going to do anything different other than make a bit more noise, also i think im right in saying if you want to wipe the ecu etc you should hold positive and negative terminals together for ten secs or so........

AFAIK the only significant thing that the ECU will 'forget' when you disconnect the battery is the throttle body calibration (where relevant); so as rodenal says, you probably don't need to worry about doing it. I'm not sure I'd hold the terminals together if I did though; in theory it shouldn't cause any mischief but if there's anything holding a latent charge behind the switch (or on a permanent live) you may discharge them by shorting it; and the battery isn't just there for power, it's a filter too...

Regards,

Rob.

rodenal said:
if you want to wipe the ecu etc you should hold positive and negative terminals together for ten secs or so........

stand on one leg and touch your nose with your left hand at the same time too.

resetting the ECU once in a blue moon is one of those 1.8T superstitions. It's just a way of forcing the ECU adaptations back to default parameters. Worth it if you have a reason to do so.

Hey Shawshankuk, did you fit the kit got any piccys or sum info on how it all went? does it sound gud??

kef

There is one pic in my gallery but was all a in a bit of a rush.

Its sounds awsome mate. The filter itself is very much as good quality as a K&N and sits just in front of the o/s/f wheel.

My MPG has dropped by about 4 but thats because I drive it likes its stolen.

There is a wastegate chutter which sounds like a dump valve so if you like that kind of thing then go for it.

Its well worth the money. I will get a few more pics when I get the chance and put them on my gallery and you can have a look.

i too have just fitted one of these ebay kits, and im VERY impressed by it.
for what is a cheap kit, it appears to be VERY well made, the cone filter is equally impressive as any K&N ive had in the past, and the fit was excellent.

once fitted, the sound is makes is lovely, low down in the revs when you floor it theres a nice deep rumble, although its by no means instrusive.

the sound of the standard recirc valve is also greatly increased with the CAI, giving a nice staisfying flutter when changing gear, especially if you floor it and change before 3k.

although its probably a placebo to say the car is faster now, it does feel it very slightly, and throttle response is definately greatly increased, making it much nicer to drive :)

im happy with it for sure!

gallery_168_26_4425.jpg

im yet to have any problems with the ignition controller which is ment to get very hot, i kept it attatched to the heatsink, and ziptied it so that the heatsink is in maximum contact with the RAM pipe, which stays very cold during use, so hopefully it wont be an issue :)

Tallpaul said:
That kit looks ok, great price and i'm sure it'll give a great

The small filter is for the secondary air hose that your car might not have.

If there was a 1 inch diameter black corrugated hose that was connected to your OE airbox then the small filter should be fitted to the end of that. If you car hasn't got that hose then you don't need the filter ;)

:)

ill answer your question with a post of yours paul!

the induction kits arnt made for older cars like ours, apparently due to the problem of locating the ignition controller (i see you made a bracket for yours)

as a result, the alloy pipe has a take off to attatch the 1'' dia black pipe you mention, which i assume is there on later cars, as my car doesnt have this pipe, the smaller filter is included with a length of pipe, so you can put something on the hole, rather than leaving it open.

thats the filter usually attached to the OE air box, the lil' 1 inch connectiong someone mentioned earlier!

im about to buy one of these myself, so ill let you know how i get on :D

Prawn said:
ill answer your question with a post of yours paul!

the induction kits arnt made for older cars like ours, apparently due to the problem of locating the ignition controller (i see you made a bracket for yours)

as a result, the alloy pipe has a take off to attatch the 1'' dia black pipe you mention, which i assume is there on later cars, as my car doesnt have this pipe, the smaller filter is included with a length of pipe, so you can put something on the hole, rather than leaving it open.

lol, thanks... It was an almost rhetorical question ;)

Why didn't you just blank off the hole in the intake pipe rather than having a second air intake that potentially could draw warmer air?