2015 B8 Gauge Sweep mod.

Jonny Cooper

Reaction score
Hello all.

Due to the weather not being so great this weekend, I decided to try to activate the Gauge sweep function on my 2015 A4 B8. (It's an indoor job)

I have been looking at what can be done for the last few weeks & have a Ross-Tech cable & VCDS 17.1 installed so thought it would be an easy fix.

I have followed the info that I have found & selected Instruments, Coding, Long Coding Helper, highlighted Byte 1 & checked the box to enable the gauge sweep before clicking Exit & then "Do It" on the previous screen.

I got this result.

Vcds1small

Mainly due to inexperience & partly not having seen this message before, I clicked Cancel & returned to the main menu to do a Full Scan before exiting & closing VCDS. (no faults thankfully).

Does anyone have any ideas or is the answer as obvious as it appears & I won't be able to do the re-coding?

Cheers. Jonny.

Last edited:
Cheers Darren. I hadn't seen that response as an option on the videos of the process that I'd watched & for a minute felt as if the Yes option was the red wire & the No option was the black wire.

I chose to back out & seek advice as have seen a lot of brave people in a whole heap of trouble.

You could have clicked No first and used the existing values. If that didn't work then selecting yes isn't an issue other than it would be obvious to a garage that somebody had been there with VCDS. But if you leave the configuration the same and they scanned the car they would be able to see changes had been made from the factory config.

You could have clicked No first and used the existing values. If that didn't work then selecting yes isn't an issue other than it would be obvious to a garage that somebody had been there with VCDS. But if you leave the configuration the same and they scanned the car they would be able to see changes had been made from the factory config.

I too saw this message for the first time when doing some minor mods yesterday. Clicked "no" and the new coding was applied fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk