What car are you coming to New A5 from? and Why?

DickiePhitt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Like a few others on here I'm coming over to the new A5 - an S5 in my case - from an 8V S3.

Just over 2 years into ownership of a manual, well specced S3 I'm enjoying the interior quality, the acceleration and speed but need a bit more space and better comfort on the long motorway journeys I do to the continent.
I like my toys but find some of the tech on my S3 irritating (lane keeping, ACC) so I'm keeping it simple and just going with the Virtual Cockpit this time.

I'm hoping to get the correct mix with the S5. The other strong contender was a Merc C43 estate but that didn't come close when I looked at the leasing deals on offer.

I was wondering what other new A5/S5 owners/potential owners were moving over from and why.

Reactions: AJ Jacob
I'm just about to order my A5 Sportback, coming from a VW Golf GTD.

growing kids means the Golf no longer cuts it and an A4 Avant is virtually the same size as the A5 so a no brainier for me!

I'm coming from an S3 Saloon, and the switch was because I wanted a bigger car to take my growing kids and operate as a proper family car, whilst still having similar performance and fun of the S3. I love my toys, and the S5 has plenty which is great, but also it's far more of an 'event' than the S3 and I'm glad they have made the exhaust more fruity (although not as much as the C43 sadly). The S5 Sportback ticks all my boxes tbh, great looking and yet practical, can entertain me on boring drives and put a smile on my face when the road opens up....I can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra
I'm just about to order my A5 Sportback, coming from a VW Golf GTD.

growing kids means the Golf no longer cuts it and an A4 Avant is virtually the same size as the A5 so a no brainier for me!

Hows the Golf GTD? I currently have a A5 b8 but im in the city now and might want to get something smaller in the future.

I am coming from 8V S3.. Loved the spec on the S3 I had but I never "gelled" with it 100% as I had a TTRS prior to it. The S3 was a bit bouncy (should have specced mag ride) and the engine note was lacking... I did open the flaps up all the time via VCDS it was just a really good fast hatch but lacked a bit of character.

I hope the engine in the S5 will be just if not as quick, lots of gadgets and the noise is far superior .... I originally was looking at RS3's but missed the boat on new build and the dealer ones were way overpriced! At the time FL RS3 was way off and the new TTRS was dealer spec only....

Now I hear the RS3 saloon will be ready to order in a few months which has made flutter a little but I am sure I am going to be happy with the S5.

Reactions: Joetidman
Coming from a PFL S3 sportback to the S5 Coupe. Never really gelled with the S3 but now I've made the decision to move on I think I will miss it.

S5 is almost the default choice for me but the wait is painful! Looked at C43 coupe but it felt a bit chintzy! Toyed with a used Porsche 911 and Jaguar F Type and even the new 718 Cayman. So many decent cars out there at the £50k to £60k price point.

Im coming from A6 2.0 TDI black edition. I needed something exciting that works as a family car too and the S5 Sportback I've ordered is pretty much what I had in mind. Plus ofcourse the crazy lease deals just hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Coming from a MK7 Golf R DSG to a 3.0Tdi Quattro Coupe - Do a lot of miles and it was costing a fortune in Supreme Unleaded....worried about the performance difference but hey ho....

Hows the Golf GTD? I currently have a A5 b8 but im in the city now and might want to get something smaller in the future.

Its a great car - I would have changed it for the new version (Mk VII) if we didn't want more space.

I am coming from an Audi A4 Black Edition 2.0 tfsi. Can't wait to get the S5 sportback - just waiting for build date from the dealer. I went for navarra blue which I'm now having second thoughts about...

Coming from a BMW 330d GT. It's a very good car, spacious, comfortable, economical and quicker than many cars on the road..but it lacks any 'character'. I am coming to S5 sportback which is a bit of a mid life crisis thing to be honest! First petrol car since I had a ford puma in early noughties. And first car have been truly excited about getting for years...just for the way it sounds!

Why second thoughts on the Navarra blue Faisal? I have chosen that color too. Did have a wobble and thought about Daytona grey, but settled on the blue. The BMW I have is in estoril blue which I love, But it is very common now. Shame can't get the s5 in Ara blue in the U.K.

Last edited:
Same question from me? Navarra Blue is stunning without being brash! What other colour would you go for if not NB?

I'm having my wobble moment and considering Daytona grey, which looks stunning on audis. I've only seen navarra blue online so it's difficult to judge based on that. However, based on what most people are saying, I think I will be sticking to the colour!
Ridders - have you got a build date for your S5?

I'm having my wobble moment and considering Daytona grey, which looks stunning on audis. I've only seen navarra blue online so it's difficult to judge based on that. However, based on what most people are saying, I think I will be sticking to the colour!
Ridders - have you got a build date for your S5?

If I could order Navarra on my A5 I would but went for second best with Daytona Grey!!

Reactions: Faisal_s5
My build date is 17th April, having ordered end of January. Wait is killing me, it's only been 3 weeks!

I test drive a Navarra blue coupe and it looked superb - I can post a pic or two if you are interested. Was tempted by the grey, but I quite like the fact Navarra blue is s5 specific.

Would be great to see the pics - I've only seen the S5 in white and grey.
You haven't got too long left for the car to be built. I've been told to expect June for mine!
How long have you had the 330d for? They are good cars. Is this going to be your first Audi?

IMG 0064
Would be great to see the pics - I've only seen the S5 in white and grey.
You haven't got too long left for the car to be built. I've been told to expect June for mine!
How long have you had the 330d for? They are good cars. Is this going to be your first Audi?

Had the BMW for 2 years on a good lease deal. Original plan was to replace with 435d gran coupe, but then Audi launched new A5 and I think it is a much better car. Makes BMW interior feel very dated.

Not my first Audi, I had a 58 plate a3 sport back 2.0 tdi (170) - was the first brand new car I had owned, and I loved it. Went from that to a BMW X1 and there was a notable drop in quality - always said I would go back to Audi at some point.

Photos of the car I test drove

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    964.5 KB · Views: 419
That looks stunning. I'll stick to Navarra Blue - thanks for your help.

Totally agree on the BMW interior and the quality of the instruments. The 3/4 series looks very dated. Still a great car tho.

well, the car is finally ordered !

Managed to grab a pre-built dealer car that is just waiting to be shipped across the water. Two weeks and Should have it!

Reactions: Sandra
I am coming from a 2013 Land Rover Freelander XS.......Not so sporty eh! did also have a 2014 SLK 250 for a while on a short lease. So, my new S5 sportback is now a compromise between the two (4x4) and something sporty. Both of the other two were a pile of unreliable s**t though, so I am really hoping this one will be ok.

Reactions: Buck
Coming from a 2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 pickup. Needed it at the time, now looking for a bit of luxury sport!

I'm coming from an 8V S3 also. My deal was coming to an end, previously had an A5 always loved the shape of them so took the plunge for the S5 (after some negotiations that was :friendly wink:)

Had the same view as some of you guys about Navarra blue. My S3 is Sepang and I've had Sprint and Scuba blue on previous cars but I've decided for a change and went with Daytona grey, mainly due to the demonstrator being that colour and just fell for it

Hi all.

I'm a newcomer to the A5 section. I joined the forum 3 years ago when I got my A3. Now I'm making the jump up to an A5.

So that's where I'm coming from. A 1.4 S Line A3 in Daytona Grey.
Absolutely loved the car, but when I bought that car I was really after an A5 but decided I couldn't afford it.

3 years later, time to upgrade and had to make an A5 work.

So in a month or two I'll be picking up my new A5 2.0 TFSI S Line Coupe in Scuba Blue.

Can.Not.Wait

nice choice @Stevo985

I looked at the 2.0 TFSI but wanted Quattro so ended up with the 2.0TDI as the TFSI was a big jump since it had many more horses:)

Mine arrives at the dealer today and have arranged pick up for next Monday as I am away until Sunday night -can't wait!

nice choice @Stevo985

I looked at the 2.0 TFSI but wanted Quattro so ended up with the 2.0TDI as the TFSI was a big jump since it had many more horses:)

Mine arrives at the dealer today and have arranged pick up for next Monday as I am away until Sunday night -can't wait!

I got the 2.0tdi quattro and you wont be disappointed. Still plenty of pull and sticks to the road like its on rails. I used to be able to kick the back end out on my A4 quite easily but i've no chance in this!

nice choice @Stevo985

I'd have liked the Quattro too but budget restraints meant I couldn't really afford it without overstretching. Maybe next time. A5 is my favourite Audi by far so next time I change I won't want to move up a model. so moving up spec instead might work :)

I'm coming from a BMW 330d MS to an S5 Coupe - didn't really need the rear doors and looking a bit dated now , whereas the S5 in Navarra Blue looks great and interior is in a totally different league.
Only 400 odd miles done so far but loving it - only negative for me is that the RTTI traffic info on the BMW system is miles better than the 'online traffic info' from the MMI

I'm coming from a BMW 330d MS to an S5 Coupe - didn't really need the rear doors and looking a bit dated now , whereas the S5 in Navarra Blue looks great and interior is in a totally different league.
Only 400 odd miles done so far but loving it - only negative for me is that the RTTI traffic info on the BMW system is miles better than the 'online traffic info' from the MMI

Nice colour choice @Marky99
When collecting my car, the salesman told me that Apple Maps Traffic was better!?

Hi all.

I'm a newcomer to the A5 section. I joined the forum 3 years ago when I got my A3. Now I'm making the jump up to an A5.

So that's where I'm coming from. A 1.4 S Line A3 in Daytona Grey.
Absolutely loved the car, but when I bought that car I was really after an A5 but decided I couldn't afford it.

3 years later, time to upgrade and had to make an A5 work.

So in a month or two I'll be picking up my new A5 2.0 TFSI S Line Coupe in Scuba Blue.

Can.Not.Wait

3 weeks after ordering I've still not been given a build date for my A5.
Dealer initially said it'd be 1-2 months. I'm starting to think that was nonsense!

I did a quick Carwow quote to see what the latest discounts are for the S5 and got a message saying the car is discontinued...

"Please note
This model is now discontinued by the manufacturer and factory orders are now closed. You can obtain similar vehicles from existing dealer stock or configuring a new car"

I wonder if Audi are restricting supplies or if there's something blocking build?

I ordered mine on 11 January and waited about 3 weeks for a build date of May. Thankfully I've got my S3 still so other than the general impatience I can just about wait.

I did a quick Carwow quote to see what the latest discounts are for the S5 and got a message saying the car is discontinued...

"Please note
This model is now discontinued by the manufacturer and factory orders are now closed. You can obtain similar vehicles from existing dealer stock or configuring a new car"

I wonder if Audi are restricting supplies or if there's something blocking build?

I ordered mine on 11 January and waited about 3 weeks for a build date of May. Thankfully I've got my S3 still so other than the general impatience I can just about wait.
5 months!

Geez! Hope I'm not waiting that long. I love my A3 but with the prospect of driving an A5 I'll be very impatient! :D

"Please note

Probably to do with this;

https://uk.motor1.com/news/140629/audi-a4-a5-production-halted-by-fire/

Was always a long lead time to be fair. Even when I ordered the salesman warned me that it would be a while. Seems that the fire will maybe add to that. Only prob is tyres on the S3 are at 3mm so risk that I may need to replace all 4 or take a hit at trade in. Oh well!

Greetings! I'm a new A5 Cabrio owner-to-be, ordered from stock an A5 Cab 2.0TFSI S-Line S Tronic with

- Tech pack
- Virtual cockpit
- Head rest heaters
- Folding mirrors
- Flat bottomed steering wheel
- Extended ambient lighting

In Tofana white

Should be with me in a week or two!

I've come from the dark side - BMW X1 20d. Reasons are that I live and work in the same city so a diesel isn't really the best option, for my wallet or the environment. And the interior is rattling like a maraca and BMW don't want to know about it

Im coming from a BMW 535d, I can't fault the car, it was a beautiful drive and had amazing torque. It was time for an upgrade. I liked at the new 5 series but for me it was too similar with the out going model. I've always liked the A5. I went and test drove the S5 and fell in love. BMW was amazing, plenty of power . the S5 is more exciting, the new exhaust makes a beautiful sound even when driving at low speeds the whole experience made me sign up and get one. The interior is non comparable simply the best. This is going to be my first Audi after my two previous cars have both been the e60 BMW and the f10. I hope I don't regret it. From the test drive I don't think I will.

S5 owner to be - build week 24

Reactions: Joetidman
Gents, for those of you who came from the Audi S3 8v. Did you feel the A5/S5 sportback was a substantial upgrade in interior space? Especially rear room?

Never sat in the back of my S3 or the new S5 as a passenger but comments from friends who have travelled in both are very favourable. I'm over 6ft and had to move the driver's seat forward whenever there was a passenger in the rear, which made driving a pain. No need in the S5 and still plenty of rear legroom. Chalk and cheese!

Just PX'd an A6 2.0 TDI for mine.

Wanted something more a bit more sporty than the A6, but more practical than a TT .

(PX'd the TT for the A6, previously PX'd an A6 for the TT)