Xenon Kits

loafy

Reaction score
Anyone ever done a aftermarket kit on an Audi A4 B6 (2001 to 2005) model?

Was it hard to fit? I only found out today to remove the front bulbs i need to take the headlight out, unscrew it and stuff!

Any links to the kit bought? Wot sort of light do i go for? someones said the 6000k is the best type for the car

Anyhelp guys or girls?

Yeah, carried out this install about 2 weeks ago. I got the kit off eBay. It is a 6000k for the projector lamps and, although I was dubious how good/effective it would be, it is the muts nuts, can't tell the difference between this upgrade and the factory fit.

I found the easiest way was to remove the four torx bolts that hold each headlight in place and pull the headlight assy forward but you don't need to totally remove it. The first thing I did before I started any of the modding was unplug the original lights and connect the xenon kit to make sure it worked! It did, so the next step is to drill a hole through the back of the removable bulb compartment cover to allow the cables from the xenon ballast to pass through into the headlight. The hole size depends on the size of the seal that is supplied with the kit you buy.

Next un-hook the spring that holds the original bulb in place and insert the xenon bulb into the projector housing, then re-fit the spring so the wires from the back of the bulb are located inside the spring, you can't fit the xenon bulb and hold it in place without removing the spring because the wires will trapped by the spring and stop it from clipping into position and holding the bulb in place.

Those two steps are probably the trickiest part of the whole install.

After you have fitted the xenon bulb into the projector housing fit the cabling into the compartment cover by pushing the washer into position into the drilled hole in the compartment cover, then connect up the xenon bulb and push the spade connectors into the original bulb connector then fit the compartment cover back to the headlight and push the headlight back into position and re-fit torx bolts.

All you need to do now is plug the connectors into the ballast units and find a suitable place to locate them in the engine bay.

It sounds more difficult than it actually is!

Check out this link for the kit I bought: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-A4-A6-H7-XENON-HID-KIT-6000K-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ140055403999QQihZ004QQcategoryZ72235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

how does it go with mot time thou?

i thought uk cars with xenons have to have washer jets for the lens?

Factory xenons do come with washers and auto-levelers, but the MOT doesn't test for them, so after the car has left the factory you can do whatever you like!

It's really all down to type approval, I remember reading somewhere that xenons need washers and levelers in Germany, but not in the uk, but they come with them anyway.

So, you can of course fit the genuine xenons, washers and levelers. But if all you want is brighter lights, then just get an aftermarket kit.

loafy said:
how does it go with mot time thou?

i thought uk cars with xenons have to have washer jets for the lens?

i had a vectra gsi and fitted the cdx light units which were OEM lights and u didnt have washer jets and it passed a mot out of vauxhall no prop, just some stupid gimick i think :icon_thumright:

thats ok then!

so would u recommend it? think its hard to do for a novice?

Chris,

The legality of these aftermarket kits is a bit of a grey area. You have 2 options come MOT time - 1. Find a sympathetic garage that wont fail you or
2. Refit the halogen bulbs for the MOT. This would only be a 5 minute job as the original wiring for the halogen bulbs will still be there.

Alison is getting me one of these HID kits for my Xmas so the Avant will be sporting some 6000K HIDs early in the New Year.

Scott

Quick question for 1210tech: Any problems with interference with the stereo, e.g when using FM etc? Have heard there are problems with some kits, which put me off retro fitting in the A4 family mobile as my wife likes to use the radio...

Thanks.

gtiglasgow said:
Chris,

The legality of these aftermarket kits is a bit of a grey area. You have 2 options come MOT time - 1. Find a sympathetic garage that wont fail you or
2. Refit the halogen bulbs for the MOT. This would only be a 5 minute job as the original wiring for the halogen bulbs will still be there.

Alison is getting me one of these HID kits for my Xmas so the Avant will be sporting some 6000K HIDs early in the New Year.

Scott

Hi Scott,

What are you going to do about the sidelights looking yellow when you have the 6000 HID's on? I'm in glasgow too ( Charing Cross) have a 54 Avant Quattro simialr to yout own and would be keen to hear how you get on with this mod when you get it fitted.

John

Block 405 said:
Hi Scott,

What are you going to do about the sidelights looking yellow when you have the 6000 HID's on? I'm in glasgow too ( Charing Cross) have a 54 Avant Quattro simialr to yout own and would be keen to hear how you get on with this mod when you get it fitted.

John

John,

I have heard that the PIAA Extreme White sidelight bulbs are a pretty good match for the HIDs. I reckon i'll give these a go.

Scott

SimonP said:
Quick question for 1210tech: Any problems with interference with the stereo, e.g when using FM etc? Have heard there are problems with some kits, which put me off retro fitting in the A4 family mobile as my wife likes to use the radio...

Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of, according to the manufacturers, the kit I bought is EM Shielded so that doesn't/shouldn't interfere with any of the electrics. I have seen from other forums that some kits cause problems with the car warning system by displaying faults on the DIS but haven't had any problems along those lines either.

Hope this helps Si.

Ian :thumbsup:

how much do these xenon kits cost on average?

a friend recently purcahsed some headlight bulbs from ebay. He has got them on his bmw
There ice blue colour & look great, but are not exactly much brighter than the factory ones. he also picked them up for £15.
There not going to be the proper xenon headlights at that price, but are they still legal?
Would it be a worthwhile option to get the ice blue look from the headlights instead of paying the higher price for the proper kits??????????

mate to be honest theres no point in gettin the normal bulbs, cos they not brighter or anythin imo, the hid conversion done properly is well worth it and its going to be my first mod when i get my new car:yes:

I bought a £125 set from ebay and fitted them in about 2 hours. I dremmeled the underside of the headlight and fitted the ballast pack where the factory units are fitted. That way I could take the lights out completeley and work in my nice warm kitchen !!!!
Quality is really good but only problem I have initially is that when you turn the lights on, I get the big read brake fail light on and the speedo drops out. Plugged my VAS5052 in fault stored in 01,03 and 17 says no link on driveline canbus. If you restart the enginge straight away they work fine. It only does this when the Leftside unit is connected and can therefore deduce that the cheaper units are not screened and interfere with the canbus signal from the ABS control unit which is also located right next to the Leftside headlight.
It has settled down over the last couple of days, so might have righted itself.
Will monitor and report back.......
Sorry it's long winded, but I think useful :)

Hi,

I have also fitted a afermarket kit on mine...

heres the thread to another forum were i spend most of my time..

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41103-pictures-my-hids.html

in regards to the MOT issue... There is no check in the MOT for washer jets if there not fitted.. its not law for washer jets with HID's. The only reason the washer juets are there are to ensure the lenses are clean .

As long as the beam pattens are correct theres no issue.

Cheers

RickT

With my previous S2, I fitted an aftermarket HID kit from VAGParts - straightforward to install and the difference is like night and day with them vs. the standard filament bulbs. I also changed side lights and main beams to PIAA Extremes to get a better colour match. Highly recommended mod.

With regard to MOT: as stated above, from new cars would require headlamp washers and auto-levellers, but it's not actually tested for in the MOT, so if you don't have them, it's not a problem. What you should probably do though is set the lamp aim a little lower than it would have been to reduce scatter and dazzle for on-coming traffic, and do make use of the headlamp level adjuster inside the car when you're carrying passengers.

I know have factory-fit HIDs on the A4 and they are fantastic. I do know there are available even-brighter Xenons (VAGParts sell them I think?) which use more powerful ballasts for an even brighter beam if you find your standard HIDs aren't bright enough!

still £150 with postage from ebay for 6000k's seems bit expensive, no one fancy a group buy??

would like to see a set working- not just a pic of a demo car before wasting £125 though.

RickT said:
Hi,

I have also fitted a afermarket kit on mine...

heres the thread to another forum were i spend most of my time..

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41103-pictures-my-hids.html

in regards to the MOT issue... There is no check in the MOT for washer jets if there not fitted.. its not law for washer jets with HID's. The only reason the washer juets are there are to ensure the lenses are clean .

As long as the beam pattens are correct theres no issue.

Cheers

RickT

Going back to my post... i watch at least 30 sets on ebay before getting mine.. found the ones i wanted and then waited for the right price from the right seller,... they were always going for £110 ish... however i found a set which were finishing at 4am... so i created a account on a auction sniper which fired my bid in 5 seconds before it finsihed and managed to get them for £68 including posted..

However they took 3 weeks to arrive from the seller... came from Hong Kong in the end up.. when stated was in the UK and the seller even said via pm mesage i sent to him he had them there in the UK..

Cheers

RicKT

Mcgough said:
would like to see a set working- not just a pic of a demo car before wasting £125 though.

I have a retro fitted 6000K Xenon HID kit on my Avant. Paid £150 for it including the postage. To be honest, it looks really, really good. I was well impressed. Pity you are in Newcastle or you could have had a look at the kit fitted to my car :) .

Cheers

Scott

....im begining to sway....sound better now i seen all the posts on several forums

Just randomly asking - over at TSN alot has been said about the kits and some have decided to go for the bulbs!

I think i'm going to stick with the HID kit (which I need to order)

Sheraz

My HID kit was delivered today - cant wait to get it fitted!!

Up for MOT on Friday afternoon so leaving it til after that in case it causes any problems:(

Looks like it'll be easy enough to fit so hopefully i'll get some pics of it up fitted on saturday afternoon.

fit it before go one, so we can shut some people up, ill pay for the re-test if it fails for them

VTEC_Killer said:
Just randomly asking - over at TSN alot has been said about the kits and some have decided to go for the bulbs!

I think i'm going to stick with the HID kit (which I need to order)

Sheraz

Not sure what you mean here - discharge bulbs need the high voltage ballasts otherwise they won't work. The HID kid includes the discharge bulbs, ballasts and the control unit.

Or did you mean bulbs as in standard filament bulbs which are coloured to make them look more blue than usual (but are in no way as bright as a discharge bulb)?

Well, i got the hid kit fitted - took about 45 mins all in.
The hardest part of the install was drilling the headlight covers, apart from that, all straight forward.

Really pleased with the results too!

Well worthwhile doing.