Bang & olufsen speaker crackling, under warranty?

KieranJ22

Reaction score
So I bought my 3 year old car in July and it has the B+O upgrade and I've noticed the dashboard speaker has a crackling sound on some songs I'm playing. It's the same with the front passenger middle speaker during phone calls via Bluetooth. The bass is set to 'two notches' past the center and the treble is 'two notches' minus the center. I have warranty on it and it's booked in for a service on Wednesday with them also checking this speaker. It's only on some songs (which this doesn't happen to on my partners car with the same songs). I have it normally between 18-24.

How will they check it?
Will it be covered under warranty?
Any help appreciated

Can you verify if the same song crackles if you play it from a CD or from an SD card? There were a LOT of complaints about crackling from the B&O units in the early days of the 8V range and the leading theory seems to be that it's inexplicably running internally at a 48KHz audio sampling rate rather than the 44.1KHz rate normally used for CD and mp3. Poor sample-rate conversion and multiple encode / decode stages (eg coming in from Bluetooth) made the problem even worse.

Also check quality of the songs i.e. How many Kbps it is

It's on high quality on Spotify which is 160 kbit/s. Should I try on 320 kbit/s and see if it's still there?

Il try a few different sources tonight to see if I can get more info

I would suggest you try it, when I played low quality songs on my B and O it used to amplify imperfections. Suggest you try it at 320kbit

Reactions: KieranJ22
It's not really the bitrate that's the issue, it's the sample frequency.
Oh right okay, I tested on 320 kbit/s and could still hear it with bass turned to lowest minus setting. I have no idea what sample frequency is, is it the b&o with the issue or the song?

thats the 44k or 48k part which is the song. Sounds like it could be your speaker itself then!