Changing steering wheel

ab1702

Reaction score
As above I'm changing my steering wheel to a flat bottom one.
All I want to know is when I disconnect the airbag do I just need to make sure the keys are out of the ignition or do I need to disconnect the battery?
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you don't disconnect the battery you end up with the airbag light on but I can't find the thread where I read it now.

Pretty sure you should always disconnect the battery when playing with the airbags mate.

Reactions: downtothebone
When I got my steering wheel replaced the battery was not disconnected. Just DONT put ignition on while it is off. No airbag fault should be shown after and if any other lights, just go for a short drive and they will be gone.

I'd disconnect the battery just to avoid any issues, only two screws to loosen anyway.

Reactions: Mark_86
i really wouldnt risk that without disconnecting battery.. eliminate power just to be sure and safe - no one wants an airbag in the face!

Reactions: Mark_86
I were just asking about the airbag light coming on the dash, not the airbag actually going off.

I know, was just referring to Avatarz comment "no one wants an airbag in the face!"

Haha well yeah I suppose I don't fancy that happening.
I think my safest bet is to just disconnect the battery while I do it for the sake of an extra 2 minutes.

As it goes I've bought a new 8k steering wheel and airbag one of the flat bottom ones and I'm sure I read a post a while back where you were doing the same mod but had trouble with the buttons and airbag. Did you get it sorted?
The person I bought it off said he has repinned the airbag connector for me as I told him I was putting it on an a3 so I'm hoping mine should just be plug and play.

Unfortunately my steering wheel is not that nice a one. I did have my thoughts about doing it but I was offered a cheap standard 4-spoke steering wheel which I still got today.

Unfortunately my steering wheel is not that nice a one. I did have my thoughts about doing it but I was offered a cheap standard 4-spoke steering wheel which I still got today.

Might not have been you then must have been someone else.