How to detect and replace rear parking sensor?

maxpayne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It seems that at least one rear parking sensor is gone on my 2005 Audi A3 Sportback. Just wondering if there's a guide to checking them for fault, removing the faulty one and replacing them (preferably cheaply if OEM is too expensive) somewhere please?

Thanks!

Put it in reverse and put your ear to each sensor, the ones that are working will make a faint ticking noise the one thats broken will not

Reactions: maxpayne
Put it in reverse and put your ear to each sensor, the ones that are working will make a faint ticking noise the one thats broken will not

Sounds like a manoeuvre that I can trust my missus with (not)

Lol! Ignition on and in reverse no misses required haha

You dont need the car running just turn ignition on

LOL guys are u serious? Hear if its working? :facepalm: we got the vcds or generic code reader? :facepalm: Just undo rear bumper and plug in the vcds, go to fault codes and clear codes, put the rear gear (to enable the parking aid) and check for code given (on mine is left or right sensor) turn ignition off change the position of sensors (do it 1 by 1 like outer right with outer left) and put in neutral, ignition on and check again if you got the error on left sensor instead of right (or whatever was the fault) so you found the broken one. did it on my a3 and got only one to be problematic. Check my post on welcome section for how to remove the bumper.
PS on ebay they going for 15 quids.

If you have VCDS, it will tell you which one isn't working. there is no need to swap them about.
Inboard, outboard, left right. It will identify the hookey one.
Check the connections and wiring before you spend money on something you might not need.

If you have VCDS, it will tell you which one isn't working. there is no need to swap them about.
Inboard, outboard, left right. It will identify the hookey one.
Check the connections and wiring before you spend money on something you might not need.
not if you using the generic reader or clone ;) and also just to give him idea how to do it instead of "listening" sensors

If you have access to vcds and they are factory fit, that is the easiest way. If not try the listening method before taking the trouble to strip down

Lol! Ignition on and in reverse no misses required haha

Thanks. That worked like a charm. The sound is more like a continuous stream of clicks. Turns out that the leftmost sensor is faulty. Now on to eBay for spares.

...But before that I need to check if it's faulty wiring as stipulated elsewhere. Hoping it's a loose connection and fixed with some push and pull!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That worked like a charm. The sound is more like a continuous stream of clicks. Turns out that the leftmost sensor is faulty. Now on to eBay for spares.
Yea thats it! Glad you found which one dont always need a computer ay ;-)

There should be a sticker inside the service book with all the options on. Failing that the same sticker is in the spare wheel well

Looks like listening worked

Yeas but anyway I wouldn't recommend, as remove the bumper is alike 30mins of work and you can be sure that the problem is actually the sensor and not connector or wiring. I mean anyway in worst case he will throw 15 quids if taken on ebay.

Very helpful that. Again a newbie question: how do I find out the exact paint/colour code for my car? It's metallic grey but that's about all I can tell
Colour code as mentioned sticker near spare wheel or manual, if not fast call to dealer with vin/plate number and they look in database for you ;)