New Car - Help?!

bolt27

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I'm now the happy owner of an A4 Avant. My first Audi so a couple of questions if that's ok?

I have sat nav built in. Where is this stored? Friends who have Audis have to use the SD cards however mine works with nothing in the SD card slots? What version do I have and how do I go about updating it (if needed?)

It's an A4 TDI S line, 65 plate and says the below for version number:

IMG 0932

Also, I have the screen to show the digital speed. Below it is what I assume is some average speed? Can I change what this line shows? I can push reset to cycle through the speed/range etc but can't see how to change this line? It's the one that currently says 13mph.

IMG 0936

Thanks very much.

Alex

Have you got the Jukebox (internal hard drive) option on your car? You can check my selecting the 'Media' button and look for Jukebox.

If you have, you satnav software will be stored on the Hard drive (jukebox), no not DVD or SD card. You can also copy CD's to the Jukebox.

If not, then I believe the sat nav is on a DVD or SD card.

My car is the MMI 3G+ system with the hard drive but I have a B8 A4, not the B8.5 you have. So things may have changed a little.

Reactions: bolt27
Oh and yes, below the electronic speedo is your average speed.

Not sure if you can change average speed to show something else, like MPG.

I never use the electronic speedo.

Oh and Welcome to the Audi A4, you will not regret it :)

You can change the average speed display - on the end of your indicator stork there is a button. You can scroll through remaining fuel, live mpg, average mpg, speed etc etc.

Reactions: bolt27 and ruairi83
Push the button on end of wiper stalk a few times and it will change display.

To rest the selected to 0 push reset button under stalk and hold until reset

Have you got the Jukebox (internal hard drive) option on your car? You can check my selecting the 'Media' button and look for Jukebox.

If you have, you satnav software will be stored on the Hard drive (jukebox), no not DVD or SD card. You can also copy CD's to the Jukebox.

If not, then I believe the sat nav is on a DVD or SD card.

My car is the MMI 3G+ system with the hard drive but I have a B8 A4, not the B8.5 you have. So things may have changed a little.

Thanks for that. It appears I do have the HDD so that answers that! Is there a list of versions anywhere? Be interested to know if mine is up to date.

You can change the average speed display - on the end of your indicator stork there is a button. You can scroll through remaining fuel, live mpg, average mpg, speed etc etc.

Push the button on end of wiper stalk a few times and it will change display.

To rest the selected to 0 push reset button under stalk and hold until reset

Thanks both, was driving me mad! Now have the miles left in the tank on display! My other car is a cooper S which manages about 270 miles a tank so seeing 550+ is great!

Can you reset just one of the trips? I pushed reset on the second page and it reset one too?

If you don't mind I've got a few more questions for those who know their Audis...!

I've seen MMI 2G/3G/3G+ mentioned. What's the difference and what do I have? I assume it's 3G or 3G plus but not a clue how to tell which one?!

Also, I looked at an A6 before buying my A4 and it had a cable in the arm rest which you could plug different adapters etc in to. I don't have this, just aux. Is this an option on certain models? Is it worth having and can it be added?!

Finally, what does the power button on my rear view mirror do?!

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated!

Check your glove box for the connection for attaching cables to ami. If you need cables let me know as I sell the genuine Audi ones.

Pretty sure the power button on your rear view mirror turns the auto dimming function on/off.

If you don't mind I've got a few more questions for those who know their Audis...!

I've seen MMI 2G/3G/3G+ mentioned. What's the difference and what do I have? I assume it's 3G or 3G plus but not a clue how to tell which one?!

Also, I looked at an A6 before buying my A4 and it had a cable in the arm rest which you could plug different adapters etc in to. I don't have this, just aux. Is this an option on certain models? Is it worth having and can it be added?!

This should help

http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/audi_mmi.php

Its a 3G+ as in your screenshot in one of your posts it says HN+, that tells you its a 3G+ model

If you have an Aux input in your arm rest then you won't have the option of an AMI cable in your glove box (the one you saw in the A6), its a bit silly of Audi to do this that you can either opt for an Analogue input (i.e. Aux input) or a digital input (i.e. the AMI input), the latter gives you the ability to connect your ipod/usb etc directly to your MMI system for media streaming. It can be added as in a retrofit but then you would loose the aux input functionality.

As above the power button is for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

As for your version of the sat nav, it seems not far off the latest version which is 6.22.4 so I dont think you would see much of a difference in maps if you update, I would say maybe wait till around April next year when you should be able to get an update to the 2017 maps.

Can you reset just one of the trips? I pushed reset on the second page and it reset one too?
The trip information on screen 1 is for single trips so it will reset automatically if the car is left for more than 2 hours. Trip screen 2 is the long term one that will only reset if you do it manually.

Check your glove box for the connection for attaching cables to ami. If you need cables let me know as I sell the genuine Audi ones.

Thanks. Looks like I've just got the Aux, never mind.

Pretty sure the power button on your rear view mirror turns the auto dimming function on/off.

Thanks! Not noticed any difference really. How does that work then?!

Big help, thanks.

Indeed it does.

Thanks!

Its a 3G+ as in your screenshot in one of your posts it says HN+, that tells you its a 3G+ model

If you have an Aux input in your arm rest then you won't have the option of an AMI cable in your glove box (the one you saw in the A6), its a bit silly of Audi to do this that you can either opt for an Analogue input (i.e. Aux input) or a digital input (i.e. the AMI input), the latter gives you the ability to connect your ipod/usb etc directly to your MMI system for media streaming. It can be added as in a retrofit but then you would loose the aux input functionality.

As above the power button is for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

As for your version of the sat nav, it seems not far off the latest version which is 6.22.4 so I dont think you would see much of a difference in maps if you update, I would say maybe wait till around April next year when you should be able to get an update to the 2017 maps.

Thanks for all that. How does the mirror work then?! Good to know re maps, will leave it a while then. I assume it has to go to Audi for an update? Can the voice be changed for the sat nav, her voice does my head in!

The trip information on screen 1 is for single trips so it will reset automatically if the car is left for more than 2 hours. Trip screen 2 is the long term one that will only reset if you do it manually.

Thanks for that, was driving me mad trying to work out what it was doing! The last screen shows MPG and a fuel pump image. Does this reset each trip? Or when you refill? Or is it manual?

Thanks all, huge help!

Reactions: ruairi83
pump image. Does this reset each trip? Or when you refill? Or is it manual?
The one with the fuel pump on it shows miles until empty which changes depending on fuel level. That one is not reset manually.

Your mirror will Dim at night when headlights from the car behind are on it. you won't see much difference during the day.

Thanks for all that. How does the mirror work then?! Good to know re maps, will leave it a while then. I assume it has to go to Audi for an update? Can the voice be changed for the sat nav, her voice does my head in!

MIrror works as above post!.....For maps yes you can go to Audi and pay for the maps update, not sure how much it is but dont expect it to be cheap....or you could do it yourself for free.... a couple of months after the official update has been released, there's always someone on the internet that has figured a way to update them via various hacks, you just have to google for the right things to find it ;)

Welcome. This is the latest firmware and maps:
e6275b570d1e57d7605b58247b59476b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk