Best way to get more noise from an S3

So, Day 2 has rose... needless to say what my reasons were for offering to take the mrs' to work ;)

Needless to say I've burnt some fuel on this tank :tearsofjoy:

With the windows down it's unbelievable and the pops are so much louder in the car, I'm getting more pops than ever.. much more! But, the drone in normal driving at 3000rpm ruins it. If you're accelerating slightly hard, you don't get it.. it's with gentle acceleration that it gets very loud for around 1000 revs!

Thought about looking into the pipe that claims to remove the drone, but I can't lose any of this noise I've got now so I'm gonna stay put for the moment.

You should fit the BCS anti drone pipe and let me know how it is!

Reactions: Rob2k68
You should fit the BCS anti drone pipe and let me know how it is!

You should fit it and let me know how it is, now I have taken the first step ;)

At £295 I cannot justify it, it's 2.5x what I spent on having a pipe made to fit including all the labour!!! Plus, now if I went back the noise wouldn't be the same.

You should fit it and let me know how it is, now I have taken the first step ;)

At £295 I cannot justify it, it's 2.5x what I spent on having a pipe made to fit including all the labour!!! Plus, now if I went back the noise wouldn't be the same.

No, it'd be the same with the droning resonance tuned out.

The physics behind a Helmholtz resonator are fairly simple, and the cost of making one are tiny since it is exactly what it looks like, 8" of tube welded to the side of the main pipe and blocked off at the end. There's nothing fancy inside, it's just empty space. £300 for one is outrageous.

The trick is making it work at the right frequency, which is a function of diameter and length. You can determine both with relative ease from photos, or make one with an adjustable end stop to tune it on the car.

No, it'd be the same with the droning resonance tuned out.

The physics behind a Helmholtz resonator are fairly simple, and the cost of making one are tiny since it is exactly what it looks like, 8" of tube welded to the side of the main pipe and blocked off at the end. There's nothing fancy inside, it's just empty space. £300 for one is outrageous.

The trick is making it work at the right frequency, which is a function of diameter and length. You can determine both with relative ease from photos, or make one with an adjustable end stop to tune it on the car.

Hm, I might go back to Longlife and see if they could put something together. I can't face paying £300 for a pipe like you said, it is unbelievable.

At 3000rpm, it vibrates the car.. the keys I keep by the 12V socket have been rattling haha.

This is probably your cheapest option...

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Benji34, pburv and 2 others
So, Day 2 has rose... needless to say what my reasons were for offering to take the mrs' to work ;)

Needless to say I've burnt some fuel on this tank :tearsofjoy:

With the windows down it's unbelievable and the pops are so much louder in the car, I'm getting more pops than ever.. much more! But, the drone in normal driving at 3000rpm ruins it. If you're accelerating slightly hard, you don't get it.. it's with gentle acceleration that it gets very loud for around 1000 revs!

Thought about looking into the pipe that claims to remove the drone, but I can't lose any of this noise I've got now so I'm gonna stay put for the moment.
Any chance of a video?

What I do have, is a very short clip of some pops in a car park today...

Photobucket is shocking, my computer is far from slow and I cannot view the video on it.. only the sound! C**P website, we need a better way of positing high res images.....

Reactions: Benji34 and pburv
That sounds mega even from that video. Sounds like the RS3. I can't wait until mine arrives.

So you've just had the remote installed and a decat down pipe? Is that right?

That sounds mega even from that video. Sounds like the RS3. I can't wait until mine arrives.

So you've just had the remote installed and a decat down pipe? Is that right?

Yes it is mega, I know it's a BIG claim to make but the sound levels of the pops now could stand up to the RS, never thought I'd say that haha.. The RS is brutal.

I have the remotes and it's not a decat, its a centre box delete.. just a silencer :)

Reactions: pburv
Now now calm down lads ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: azibux1, billy.rt, pburv and 1 other person
Now now calm down lads ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I know it's a big claim, haha ;) Before you couldn't compare, but now it is loud.. loud enough to make a whole high street look haha!

Can't ever match the RS3 though ;)

Reactions: pburv and Terminator x
LoL I heard an RS3 with the secondary cats deleted - now that was brutal - I thought the glass was going to break in the garage waiting room where I was sat.

Bet he's not popular with the neighbours though !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator x, AudiNutta and pburv
Is swapping the centre pipe going to effect warranty?

Is swapping the centre pipe going to effect warranty?

I'm sure Audi will find a way, but I spoke to the parts guy who said rather than buy a US spec Audi part to use a backstreet garage. He said it's not like you are doing a decat, it is just a silencer.

Oh so there is a genuine Audi non silenced centre section available? Is this what they come with in America?

You can buy a genuine Audi resonator delete pipe with clamps as a part in North America for around 150 quid. As a bonus you will also get drone for free.

Reactions: Benji34 and Rob2k68
Yeh Drone is not what I want, nor do I want to invalidate my warranty, think I will leave well alone for now.

I believe the reason you can not purchase the Audi resonator delete in the UK is because of EU noise restriction limits. You do not invalidate your warranty in North America with this part.

I guess fitting the BCS part would invalidate the warranty though?

I would ask your Audi dealer, as I see no reason why this would invalidate your warranty, and you can state that Audi America see no issues with this type of modification. All you are doing is removing a part that modifies sound only and replacing with another. The exhaust back pressures might be marginally different but that is about it.

Reactions: azibux1 and Pederson
They will probably 99% chance say it will invalidate the warranty lol

They won't see the logic but I'd be very surprised if they do

IMG 4278
I guess mine will be loud then lol

Photobucket is shocking, my computer is far from slow and I cannot view the video on it.. only the sound! C**P website, we need a better way of positing high res images.....
Try YouTube. Recorded to published in about 30 seconds.
This is the stock facelift S3 system;

Reactions: Benji34, Rob2k68 and pburv
Try YouTube. Recorded to published in about 30 seconds.
This is the stock facelift S3 system;

You low on fuel and washer fluid Grant??

You low on fuel and washer fluid Grant??
Perpetually. I think someone's drilled a hole in the fuel tank and the screen wash bottle seems to the size of an infants bladder.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Rob2k68 and pburv
Perpetually. I think someone's drilled a hole in the fuel tank and the screen wash bottle seems to the size of an infants bladder.
They both could be linked?...lol

Reactions: GSB and Rob2k68

Photo bucket won't even open when I try view the video, terrible website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
Apparently JBS Auto Designs can map in more pops and bangs now

Reactions: StevenC95
Update; my car is booked back into Longlife for Saturday. I'm popping it down tomorrow for them to have a listen and then have the work done Saturday.

He said that the design I've explained is one they know of that tends to reduce the vibration emitted. They have said they can do it, but can't guarantee it will work so fingers crossed. They advised I use a silencer, but I'm not spending money just to put another box on it. If it comes to that, the original will go back on.

Reactions: Benji34
Yeah be careful adding a box in a box. I had a more or straight through pipe on my GTR and it was crazy loud. I got a place to weld in a centre box and it actually made it worse. It was quieter but the tone was way worse. I took it back out.

Fitted the BCS delete pipe yesterday and can confirm that there is no done at around 3k rpm or any other revs!

I have the exhaust valves set to open via VCDS and the exhaust tone at low revs sounds much better. When accelerating, the exhaust sound is impressive! The turbo gauge now doubles up as a volume level indicator!

It might be more expensive but I'd say its well worth it.

Reactions: BCS Nige and Rob2k68
Fitted the BCS delete pipe yesterday and can confirm that there is no done at around 3k rpm or any other revs!

I have the exhaust valves set to open via VCDS and the exhaust tone at low revs sounds much better. When accelerating, the exhaust sound is impressive! The turbo gauge now doubles up as a volume level indicator!

It might be more expensive but I'd say its well worth it.
I also fitted BCS middle pipe in 2015 s3 saloon and sounds awesome a specially dsg farts. I set my exhaust valves to work with drive select. When valves are close is a little bit louder than stock but on dinamic mode farts are amazing.
I'm waiting when someone found how to make pops and crackl like in face lifted s3

Reactions: BCS Nige
I also fitted BCS middle pipe in 2015 s3 saloon and sounds awesome a specially dsg farts. I set my exhaust valves to work with drive select. When valves are close is a little bit louder than stock but on dinamic mode farts are amazing.
I'm waiting when someone found how to make pops and crackl like in face lifted s3

Buy a facelift and don't be disappointed :D That's the solution!!

I'm sure somebody will realease a map soon encorporating it.

JBS Auto Designs on Facebook can map in pops and bangs on overrun, or so they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk