Was this a good deal?

alanjonesbath

VAGOwners.co.uk
Reaction score
Website
www.vagowners.co.uk
So, I order my new car on Saturday :) I think I got a pretty good deal on it, just wondering if you guys thought the same. Any options I've put on that you wouldn't have bothered with? Any that I should have had?

Anyway, for £22,602 , I've ordered the following:
Audi A3 2.0TDi 140PS S-Line 3-door DSG
- Metallic Paint (Dolphin Grey)
- Symphony II+ stereo
- Rear parking sensors
- Light and rain sensor pack
- Auto dimming & electrically folding door mirrors
- Cruise Control
- Front centre armrest
- Rear floor mats
- Luggage pack
- Storage pack

They've also agreed to a part exchange my 04 plate Ibiza FR TDi for £6600, which seems about average for a part exchange value.

I'd be intrested to know what you think. Personally I think I've got a pretty good deal, as the list price with all those options is just over £25k, and I barely had to ask for the discount :) Hopefully picking it up mid to late December.

BaBs said:
in other news, what was the Ibiza like?
I loved it. Still do actually, but the missus won't drive a manual :( The PD130 is a great engine, and in a small car feels soooo quick :yes: Handles really well (I've got a strut brace on it to help ;) ), its just a bit crashy over the bumps. Build quality is no where near the A3 though, which is probably by biggest gripe with the car.

If you know what you want, check out autoebid.co.uk. I managed to get the following for £21895 + 345 finders fee (which is paid to autoebid) = £22240:

A3 2.0 TDI Sline 170BHP
Misano Red
20 spoke 2-piece alloys
Parking Sens
ipod connection and mfsw
boot matt
rear floor matts
tyre pressure warning
vienna leather
bose (Concert II)
electric lumbar support

Not a great deal of difference between in the price, but the 170 has a bit more punch than the 140 engine.

Check out the site if you get the chance, car is full uk spec supplied by UK Audi dealership.

Granny said:
If you know what you want, check out autoebid.co.uk. I managed to get the following for £21895 + 345 finders fee (which is paid to autoebid) = £22240:

A3 2.0 TDI Sline 170BHP
Misano Red
20 spoke 2-piece alloys
Parking Sens
ipod connection and mfsw
boot matt
rear floor matts
tyre pressure warning
vienna leather
bose (Concert II)
electric lumbar support

Not a great deal of difference between in the price, but the 170 has a bit more punch than the 140 engine.

Check out the site if you get the chance, car is full uk spec supplied by UK Audi dealership.

So you got the 170 engine and leather for LESS than the original poster's 140 ???

Blimey !

yip! Was the best price i could find anywhere, and I pretty much scoured the entire internet for it.

Granny said:
yip! Was the best price i could find anywhere, and I pretty much scoured the entire internet for it.

I salute your diligence sir !
Well done.

AlanJonesBath,you know what to do now !!!!!
You'd be mad not to try and get the same deal as 'Granny'.

Even if it means you have to sell the Ibiza privately,so be it.

Yeah, I did look at a couple of websites, and the price I got from the dealer was within £100 of the DriveTheDeal.com price. I didn't really want to go through an internet broker, as I'd have to try and sell my old car on privately which I didn't really want the hassle of, so I just used the DriveTheDeal price to get a dealer to come close :D The autoebid reserve price for the car I specced is £22467, only £135 off what I paid and I get to deal with a local dealer, so I'm happy with that.

I was tempted by the 170 model, but it would cost more to buy, more to insure, etc., and I was very happy with the power from the 140 I test drove, and its still quicker (just) than my Ibiza.

I used m1audi.co.uk (brokers) but they put me straight through to a UK dealer. After also scouring the internet for every online deal I could find, I took the best price (Autoebid as it happens) back to the dealer and got him to beat it by £100.

Job done - new car ordered from UK dealer at internet price, and he offered to part-ex my old Golf (but I've decided to sell privately to get a better price).

Aren't there more benefits to the 170 engine though,other than the obvious increase in power and torque ?
I thought it was more refined then the 140 too ?
Not quite common rail,but close(ish) ?

If you're happy with what you've got,great.
I know I couldn't do it though.
The thought of someone driving around with the better engine and leather,for less than I paid,would niggle away at me something rotten !

definately opt for bose alan, maybe swap it for parking sensor as its not the biggest car in the world!!
Also i have cruise control and unless you are getting tailed by a copper never use it!! even when the motorways are clear i dont use it i use the accelerator more!!

Cruise is something I want for my next motor,for sure.
Had it on a long term loan Volvo S80 a couple of years ago.
I found it such a benefit and,arguably,a safety aid.
I was using it all the time,on anything from 30mph roads to motorways,with my focus being completely on the road ahead,rather than constantly looking at the speedo.

marriedblonde said:
Is your car DSG? £25K for that spec seems really expensive unless the prices have gone up?
Yup, its the DSG model. List price for the car without options was just over £23k, then slap all the options on list price was £25k ish.
nb said:
definately opt for bose alan, maybe swap it for parking sensor as its not the biggest car in the world!!
Also i have cruise control and unless you are getting tailed by a copper never use it!! even when the motorways are clear i dont use it i use the accelerator more!!
I'm always using the cruise control on the Ibiza, especially on motorways, and I honestly don't think I could live without it now. I never go 'fast' on motorways, so its nice just to set it to 75mph and forget about the speed for the rest of the journey.

Parking sensors aren't for me ;) I've parked pleanty of things without any bother, including large vans. Its mainly for the wife who hasn't had much driving experience since passing her test 7 years ago, so rather than let her reverse it into something (I noticed rear vision out of the back window isn't that great by comparison to some smaller cars), I'll spend the extra on parking sensors :lmfao: The Bose speakers would have been nice, but to be honest I've never had any complaints about stock speakers in any of the cars I've owned, and I'm not what you'd call a 'music fan', so can't really justify the extra for them.

I always thought crsuise was just there so you could play games on the way to work. Set cruise and see how far you can go without disengaging it :)

Bose is only worth the money if you like your music loud.
At 'normal' levels,the standard stereo is better,for sure.
It's only once you get to around 12,which is reasonably loud,that the standard stereo starts distorting and the Bose surpasses it.
At anything under 12,the standard stereo gives much,much better bass.
So much so,that as soon as I jumped out of my colleagues standard-stereo'd A3,I checked to see if the sub-woofer in my Bose A3 was actually working.

Been playing around with that autoebid site.
The deal that caught my eye was a brand new Mondeo 2.2 tdci (155bhp) in the (imo) smart ST trim.
£7500 off list,making it a £16500 car !

That is one HELL of a lot of car for £16500 !!!!

Crikey...

are xenon's standard or you just decided against them?

bowfer said:
Been playing around with that autoebid site.
The deal that caught my eye was a brand new Mondeo 2.2 tdci (155bhp) in the (imo) smart ST trim.
£7500 off list,making it a £16500 car !

That is one HELL of a lot of car for £16500 !!!!

Crikey...
Now that is a cracking deal :icon_thumright: Still, I don't think I'd buy one just because of the blue oval on the front :unsure:

madvw said:
are xenon's standard or you just decided against them?
Decided against them (they aren't standard). We only do about 8000 miles a year anyway, and probably only 10% of that is night driving. I know they are better, and if I did a lot of night driving then I'd definately have them, but for the amount I do, I'll just fit a set of Philips VisionPlus bulbs instead :laugh:

alanjonesbath said:
I'll just fit a set of Philips VisionPlus bulbs instead :laugh:

Don't bother,there's only a negligible difference.
Not enough of an improvement to warrant the money and the skinned knuckles.

alanjonesbath said:
Now that is a cracking deal :icon_thumright: Still, I don't think I'd buy one just because of the blue oval on the front :unsure:

Now you just better prey those four rings on the front prove to be all you think they'll be...

;-)
;-)

Autoebid seems to be the daddy. If you've never used it, it's a reverse auction site - the price you generate (after adding options) is the maximum you will have to pay for the car. Dealers reverse bid in order to 'win' your business... I managed to get about an extra £200 off the autoebid max price i was quoted.

So Bowfer, you might even get a bigger saving than the £7500 listed!

Granny said:
Autoebid seems to be the daddy. If you've never used it, it's a reverse auction site - the price you generate (after adding options) is the maximum you will have to pay for the car. Dealers reverse bid in order to 'win' your business... I managed to get about an extra £200 off the autoebid max price i was quoted.

So Bowfer, you might even get a bigger saving than the £7500 listed!

I'm not in the market just now,but I've certainly saved it for the future.
So cheers to whomever posted it.

Well it certainly looks like everyone looks for different aspects when driving!!

agree the base could be better on bose systems but the general quality is really good and it makes a change from some other upgraded systems i've had in the past.
As for cruise cont, i always struggled to get a decent run on motorways as there was either loads of sunday drivers doing 50 on inside lane, some plank hogging the middle lane and not moving over when you try to indicate and move out, and loads of racers and fuc@ing white van drivers on the outside lane!! Suppose its good if you have open road and plenty of things to distract you like a woman sat next to you

I have to say that the OP's price doesn't look *that* fabulous. It's only a grand under full list price for that spec according to the current price list. I'd have thought you could get more off than that or are decent discounts off list price hard to come by on the A3?

Vertigo1 said:
I have to say that the OP's price doesn't look *that* fabulous. It's only a grand under full list price for that spec according to the current price list. I'd have thought you could get more off than that or are decent discounts off list price hard to come by on the A3?
What price list are you looking at? According to http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a3/a3/specifications.html , list price for the car with no options is £23,055, plus those options brings it to just over £25k if I remember right, which mean the saving is around £2.5k :huh: If your looking at a different price list then I'd be intrested to see it, 'cause I'll try and get the dealer to drop the price lower then as they said it would be a 10% discount.

Let's see, from the current price list PDF:

Audi A3 2.0TDi 140PS S-Line 3-door - £18605 + £2000(Sport) + £1550(S-Line) = £22155
- Metallic Paint (Dolphin Grey) - £485
- Symphony II+ stereo - £265
- Rear parking sensors - £260
- Light and rain sensor pack - £190
- Auto dimming & electrically folding door mirrors - £260
- Cruise Control - £240
- Front centre armrest - £95
- Rear floor mats - £30
- Luggage pack - £60
- Storage pack - £90

Total = £24130

Got my sums a bit wrong the first time so it's slightly more than I thought but that means your price is a 6.3% discount on that list price.

Where did you get the price of £23055 without options as it appears to be £22155 according to the price list?

Ahh, I've found where we've both been going wrong! Looks like I missed three important letters from my first post, DSG :) (I've editted that now) Whoops! That explains a bit of the confussion with the prices. Don't I feel like an bit of a fool :confused: And in your price, £18605 is for the Sportback, not the 3-door, which is £18105. That, plus £2000 for the Sport, £1550 for the S-Line, and £1400 for the DSG, comes out at £23055 :) Phew. Thank god we've got that sorted! I thought I was going mad for a minute there.

Sorry for the confussion folks :redface:

£1550 for S-line and then another £1400 for DSG ?
It hasn't always worked like that,has it ?
Something sticks in my mind about my S-line/DSG combo being £1000,for everything.
I couldn't get S-line without DSG,unfortunately.

DSG has always been £1400 and separate from S-Line, AFAIK.

Before the S-Line styling pack was integrated it would have been Sport+S-Line+S-Line styling+DSG !

Vertigo1 said:
DSG has always been £1400 and separate from S-Line, AFAIK.

Before the S-Line styling pack was integrated it would have been Sport+S-Line+S-Line styling+DSG !

No,definitely not the case there.
When I ordered my car,you could not get S-line without DSG.
In December 2004,if you wanted an S-line you could only get quattro/manual or frontwheeldrive/DSG.

It was silly.

I didn't want quattro,so I took a chance on DSG.
The gamble didn't pay off,but there you go.