haldex

Lee.S

Reaction score
Hi all been looking under rear of my s3 Quattro 8l today as my ESP light has been coming on thought I would check connections and this earth strap I read about.

First thing is I couldn't figure out how to remove the haldex controller plug pic below if someone could shed some light didn't want to break it :-(

IMG 0766

Secondly the earth strap just disintegrated in my hands so now needs to be replaced. The 13mm bolt that attaches to the diff sits next to another bolt it is really corroded and think my chances of removing will be remote but its so tight just wondering what tool some you used to get it of as with a spanner just can't get any motion on it due to space.

IMG 0768

Lastly the bolt that supposed to go into floor plan how does this remove?? looked inside boot and there is nothing coming through floor pan? will deep socket get it of?
IMG 0767

Thanks for any help ;)

Have you scanned car could be abs related instead

hi tj no haven't scanned with vagcom yet but just want to check all these make sure things are in top top order, was gonna remove that connector and check it and spray some electrical contact cleaner in it so I know its good.

Be best to get it scanned as could be or charge pump or the controller itself (mine was controller)!or nothing to do with 4wd could be abs or speed senor

My earth strap disintegrated in my hands also whilst on the ramp - I barely breathed on it!!! Lol - Anyway, the part number you will need for it is: 1J0971537C. As a heads up it was about £10 and it was a ****** to find on the parts system!!

Reactions: shaunevo6
My earth strap disintegrated in my hands also whilst on the ramp - I barely breathed on it!!! Lol - Anyway, the part number you will need for it is: 1J0971537C. As a heads up it was about £10 and it was a ****** to find on the parts system!!

couldn't you just make one up out of 4gauge earthing strap for heaps less?

Reactions: Jeriho
  • couldn't you just make one up out of 4gauge earthing strap for heaps less?

Of course you could, but I'm currently living and working in France. I couldn't even ask for that, let alone try and find it also!

Reactions: IPG
google translate - works a charm! lol

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Lee.S wrote

1,Secondly the earth strap just disintegrated in my hands so now needs to be replaced. The 13mm bolt that attaches to the diff sits next to another bolt it is really corroded and think my chances of removing will be remote but its so tight just wondering what tool some you used to get it of as with a spanner just can't get any motion on it due to space.

2,Lastly the bolt that supposed to go into floor plan how does this remove?? looked inside boot and there is nothing coming through floor pan? will deep socket get it of?

Hi Lee

1,I used a 1/4 drive six point socket and ratchet on mine which looked corroded but came undone ok.

2,Try and get some heat on the nut or else it will snap the stud that is apart of the floor pan.If it does snap take the spare wheel out and drill a hole and use a flush headed bolt (as the spare wheel will sit on top of it) I put some waxoyl on my new strap to help keep the rust away.

thanks all I have some earthing wire sat around which should do trick perfectly thanks for all tips will have another crack. On another note the broken earth strap doesn't seem to have done anything to the audi still drives like before but obviously audi put the strap there for a reason.

Is it possible the previous owner added a second earth strap and this was already shot? the most common haldex faults I have seen on this forum surround the earth strap failing and causing ECS errors and skipping.