Coilovers ordered

Gavin_s3

Reaction score
Hello, just ordered some ap coilovers. Hoping they improve the ride on my s3 sportback as standard I think it's a bit poor. Going to fit them myself, anyone got any tips or advice for fitting?
Pictures fitted would be nice as well, can't wait to get them on

I recently fitted coilovers to my three door s3, videos I watched said I had to remove the drive shaft but I managed to do it with in place just remove the bottom arm so you have plenty of movement with the hub, that was probably the hardest job out of everything as the ball joint is always seized to the bottom arm. I had all the brakes off as I was changing them which probably made it a touch easier as I had more room.
I did buy this which I found made it a lot easier to remover the shock from the hub https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272181905020 . The rear is pretty straight forward.

this gave me a good idea in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S3Alex
Coilovers isn't the route for improving ride quality .

Reactions: Donny_DJ
Hello, just ordered some ap coilovers. Hoping they improve the ride on my s3 sportback as standard I think it's a bit poor. Going to fit them myself, anyone got any tips or advice for fitting?
Pictures fitted would be nice as well, can't wait to get them on

If you can,change as many of the bushes as possible at the same time,as it's a real pain taking it all down again at another date.

I had mine fitted with Superpro bushes all round,but there are others to choose from.

Rear fitted here...

If you can,change as many of the bushes as possible at the same time,as it's a real pain taking it all down again at another date.

I had mine fitted with Superpro bushes all round,but there are others to choose from.

Oh I almost forgot too which I over looked at the time is your probably going to need shorter drop links, I bought Mercedes vito ones as I was pretty stuck on a bank holiday but will be changing them for adjustable ones when I change the roll bars when I have the subframe off for the clutch.

Coilovers isn't the route for improving ride quality .

When I say improve I mean make it more planted on the road. As standard I think the ride isn't very sporty at all for the type of car it's supposed to be. A bit of a let down in my opinion.

Rear fitted here...

Thanks Alex I'll look into changing the bushes as well.

Oh I almost forgot too which I over looked at the time is your probably going to need shorter drop links, I bought Mercedes vito ones as I was pretty stuck on a bank holiday but will be changing them for adjustable ones when I change the roll bars when I have the subframe off for the clutch.

Thanks mate. Any ideas of some suitable Audi drop links I could use?

Don't need shorter drop links. And invest in a strut spreader tool, will save you hours trying to remove the front struts from the hubs.

Reactions: Gavin_s3
Don't need shorter drop links. And invest in a strut spreader tool, will save you hours trying to remove the front struts from the hubs.

Going to invest in one of those will Deffo make the job easier.

Change of plan lol getting them fitted for £80

I did on mine the mount for the drop link is far lower than standard

How do you get around fitting the old drop links then?

Have you got pictures of them fitted to your car smurfworth?
What's your thread set up front and rear for the height?

Pull the ARB downwards and put the drop link in, simple as that.

I don't know how yours worked ok? Did you leave the car the standard height? My standard links simply wouldn't fit as the roll bar would be sat on the bottom arm.

Is the difference between AP and Bilstein B14 big or small? In a matter of which ones are more stiff and which more soft for everyday use

Have you got pictures of them fitted to your car smurfworth?
What's your thread set up front and rear for the height?

I don't know how yours worked ok? Did you leave the car the standard height? My standard links simply wouldn't fit as the roll bar would be sat on the bottom arm.

It's as low as they will possibly go, not sure if the drop link tabs on your coilovers are a different place to mine so included a photo of the coilovers too

Reactions: Mindak and Gavin_s3
Reactions: smurfworth
Reactions: smurfworth
It's as low as they will possibly go, not sure if the drop link tabs on your coilovers are a different place to mine so included a photo of the coilovers too

Yea looks like it seems it depends on what brand you go for. Your cars looking good.

69cb5e0554df833cecc25ba1fb322cab.jpg

0b9c4dda30e26c56f4f3d5621258eb15.jpg

Yeah looks to me like your coilover body is shorter than mine. Bet they go a lot lower than mine for sure. That Spring looks rather hard too, don't see many coilovers for the 8p with helper springs.

Delivery just arrived. These the same as yours smurfworth?

Cheers dpm, speedy delivery :sunglasses:

Ordered new oem top mounts and bearings today, Audi wanted £100ish so did Andrew Page, ended up ordering from euro car parts £55.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 238
Reactions: DPM
Yeah looks to me like your coilover body is shorter than mine. Bet they go a lot lower than mine for sure. That Spring looks rather hard too, don't see many coilovers for the 8p with helper springs.

How about these....

Delivery just arrived. These the same as yours smurfworth?

Cheers dpm, speedy delivery :sunglasses:

Ordered new oem top mounts and bearings today, Audi wanted £100ish so did Andrew Page, ended up ordering from euro car parts £55.

Yeah bud, looks like mine, just a lot shinier. They won't look like that after the winter months :frown: Get some good quality copper grease on those threads and grease the grub screw that locks the adjustment collar too as mine corroded and was an absolute pain to undo.

AP's do drive real nice but I'm one of the 'not low enough guys' they seem to sit different on different cars!

Yeah bud, looks like mine, just a lot shinier. They won't look like that after the winter months :frown: Get some good quality copper grease on those threads and grease the grub screw that locks the adjustment collar too as mine corroded and was an absolute pain to undo.

Good idea, will definitely be doing that!

Hopefully I can use my current drop links then.

for what it is worth...I agree with Alex to change all your bushings. Do it right the first time as an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I know you ordered the OEM strut mounts. I would highly recommend the thicker TT mounts front and back. I prefer 034 motorsports up front but to each their own. Protect those coils as winter is around the corner. Make sure the top mount bolt is torque to spec as well as the strut mount bolts. don't complain about noise until it all settles in

Reactions: Gavin_s3 and S3Alex