New headunit

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
That headunit may not fit our cars If it's made as a direct swap for the a4 and not std double din size.

Can the single din cage be converted to double din or is it best just to buy a double din cage? Also I didn't realise that much of the dash had to be removed

Can the single din cage be converted to double din or is it best just to buy a double din cage? Also I didn't realise that much of the dash had to be removed

Never done it that way but anything is possible... the main issue is how everything fixes in... the double din setup does away with the cubby hole at the bottom and uses a different aircon unit... the aircon unit for the double din is not as tall as the single din unit so you will need to source a replacement or you will need trim the single din unit to fit the bottom of the console...

Its a lot less agro to source the double din stuff to be fair but its rare and seems to have attracted a 'scene tax'...

<tuffty/>

Yeah seems that way talking 250-300 for the cage/ centre console

There's one with a cracked plastic in the right hand side can the side panel be changed on these

You only really need the metal cage (assuming your car is a facelift)... your centre console trim can still be used, you just swap out the cage... this is what I did on mine as the donor console was damaged superficially

<tuffty/>

You wouldn't happen to know the height of a double din air con unit I've seen one for sale but it batterd don't know weather it's worth trying to cut my one down

Not off hand no... you will need to profile the bottom of the unit to fit in the bottom of the console as well as reduce the height mind...

<tuffty/>

Right il just keep a lookout for a double din 1 instead turning into a headache this ha

Could be worse... you could have had a double DIN setup from the factory that you then sold to fit a single DIN setup/head unit as there wasn't really anything decent double DIN wise at the time only to then buy another double DIN setup some years later to retrofit an RNS-E when OEM++ OCD took over... :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: tomjol and Tj 0785
Am I right in thinking the cage and aircon unit from a a3 would be the same

yes and no... all fits fine but the S3 finish is soul black... this is the stuff that wears off and makes the units look scrappy.. A3's are generally just a black plastic finish which is not the soft finish of the S3 but is harder wearing...

I am using a normal black one myself as it is in perfect condition, finding a decent condition soul black one is getting near impossible these days...

<tuffty/>

Ok cheers at least that opens up more options and hopefully avoid paying more cause it's "s3" rather than a3

Managed to find a cage £30 happy days!

Reactions: feck_on_a_stick
@Tuffty looked thru your thread on the conversion did you just leave you heated seat control disconnected? Or did you relocate them ? The double din unit I got has no controls for the seats was thinking of moving them to either side of esp switch

Last edited:
Oh right can't seem to find any double din air con units or images with the controls for seats

Can't seem to find double din with controls for the heated seats will the controls for heated seats from a pre face lift model or mk4 golf fit either side of the esp button
Anyone done this conversion that had heated seats ?

Not many A3's came with heated seats unless they had the leather seat option (fairly rare) so would be more an S3 thing which of course tend to be soul black and worn... vicious circle...

No idea on the other switches...

<tuffty/>

Other switches won't work would need preface lift top row hazard switch layout a bit of a challenge finding a s3 one all seem to be a3 at the min

anyone know if a b5 unit will fit

The electronics should be the same but I suspect the faceplate will need trimming... there maybe gaps... I have not seen it done but anything is possible..

Won't be a direct fit though...

<tuffty/>

Thought it was a long shot. I'm struggling to find the part number for the s3 version on partbase

No worries dude... hoping everyone will remember this when I retire and contribute to my Aston Martin fund lol ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3 Hilife and Tj 0785
Cheers tuffty as always going above and beyond

I've got one mate sitting at home if you're interested. £50 posted

Edit, just checked and its in my boot lol:

Last edited:
I got one ordered from Germany thanks tho I think my current one has been changed to a satin one previously as its a darker colour than the one i got with the double din cage (without heated seat switch) and thats a 5pr soul black