S3 8p what mods to do first??

dg-1984

Reaction score
Hi, my first post, I have searched but couldn't find much.
I have been on the forum reading up as much as I can and getting lots of helpful info.
I am currently looking at getting an S3 2007, hopefully this weekend and was trying to find out the first things I should do to the car.
It's totally standard and have been reading about remapping etc, but I want to enjoy the car first before jumping into that.
What are the best mods and simple mods to carry out first including improving the looks of the car and also cheepish parts to replace or upgrade for piece of mind.
Car I'm looking at has full service history and is on 70k miles, has had the timing belt and water pump replaced and had the Haldex service not long ago. So fingers crossed will last me a while.

Look forward to your replies.
Thanks,
David.

Think the can follower and PCV are two good cheap things to replace for piece of mind if they haven't been done yet.
That's what I need to do to mine

Reactions: Verse1
Firstly welcome aboard.

If your doing the fuel pump cam follower then I would upgrade the fuel pump while you're in there....in readiness for Stage 1 map:whistle2:. Absolutely transformed my car. A cheap mod would be spacers 10mm Front and 12mm rear. Improves the stance without rubbing issues.

Thanks for the welcome..

Upgrade the fuel pump to which one?
Will it run fine until the stage 1 were to be fitted?
The car is a manual with 70k miles will you think it could cope with stage 1 map?
Read people saying fine and others saying can't so not sure.
If fitting spacers do you need to replace the wheel bolts with longer ones or are the originals long enough?

Thanks for the replies keep them coming

The first mod leads to the next, then the next and the next and next etc....

Unfortunately when I started tuning my S3 a number of years ago, some essentials needed done

For example

A remap - arguments sake £400

The potential for clutch slipping dramatically increases - a new uprated clutch, OEM DMF and fitting will set you back the guts of £1000

But for basic mods you can't look far from:

• H&R 25mm lowering springs
  • H&R spacers all round
  • Revo intake
  • De-rear wiper (www.gecleant.de)
  • Facelift 2009 Rear Lights
Personally speaking, that is the outside of the car sorted and nothing else needs touched.

Under the bonnet is where it counts and the modifications are endless - check out my thread for an extensive mods list. My S3 was Revo 2+ with 372bhp recorded. Miss that car :(

Reactions: S. and Cambaines
Thanks for the welcome..

Upgrade the fuel pump to which one?

If you go down the Stage 2+ route then either get the Autotech internals (cheaper) or a full LOBA replacement pump

Advantages of the Autotech is that it is a swop out swop in job, anyone can fit it. Disadvantage is that you can increase the wear on the cam follower - however, routine maintenance eg change every 7/8k and you wont have an issue.

Will it run fine until the stage 1 were to be fitted?
The car is a manual with 70k miles will you think it could cope with stage 1 map?
Read people saying fine and others saying can't so not sure.

Who ever says they cant cope is talking nonsense. I bought my S3 with 16k and sold it with 87k - for the majority of my ownership the car ran daily with 372bhp - however, explained in my previous post, you will probably have to upgrade the clutch because even on factory power, they are known to slip.

If fitting spacers do you need to replace the wheel bolts with longer ones or are the originals long enough?

Thanks for the replies keep them coming

Replace with longer ones as you will run the risk of stripping threads if you try to force the OEM ones on (speaking from experience).

Reactions: MalcB
As above they can be a money pit....not as bad as a Subaru I had a couple of years ago. £3K car and spent well over £10K on it. Limited myself with the S3 to Stage 1 and spacers. Makes a great daily driver :yes:

How about pumping up the tires a few extra pounds and leaving all else alone .
Drive and enjoy :racer:

How about pumping up the tires a few extra pounds and leaving all else alone .
Drive and enjoy :racer:

I will enjoy it for a bit, what psi running?
Also want to replace simple parts that are common on going for piece of mind.

But for basic mods you can't look far from:

• H&R 25mm lowering springs
  • H&R spacers all round
  • Revo intake
  • De-rear wiper (www.gecleant.de)
  • Facelift 2009 Rear Lights
Personally speaking, that is the outside of the car sorted and nothing else needs touched.

Are the rear lights a direct replacement?

Reactions: Boydie
First thing to do is to check the basics have been done;

1. PCV is later version
2. Recent OEM plugs (although I run hotter RS2 plugs in mine)
3. DV has been replaced with latest version (or fit the DV+)
4. I would replace the fuel filter at that mileage too.

Then start modding;
1. Stage 1 map from one of the sponsors on here
2. H&R ARBs
3. Wheel spacers

Leave it at that until the smile starts to wear off.

Reactions: MalcB
Good advice there from nluk100 - don't go mad and do everything at once

I had my S3 for 5 years and did it in stages with each stage creating a bigger grin!

And yes, lights a direct replacement.

If the car doesn't have the flat bottom wheel I would 100% make that a priority to get - a much better feel!

Also, I installed a short shifter to my S3 - made such a difference on gear change feel - mine was a forge unit.

Reactions: scotty dugg
Also, I installed a short shifter to my S3 - made such a difference on gear change feel - mine was a forge unit.

Did you upgrade any of the bushings when you changed to the short-shift?

Looking into getting this fitted when I get my clutch done.

Good advice there from nluk100 - don't go mad and do everything at once

I had my S3 for 5 years and did it in stages with each stage creating a bigger grin!

And yes, lights a direct replacement.

If the car doesn't have the flat bottom wheel I would 100% make that a priority to get - a much better feel!

That's the plan to enjoy it for a while and then slowly do some bits.

Where did you get the short shifter?? Had one fitted to my wee pug 106 gti and made a nice difference.

My first 2 mods were intake and the short shifter. One for the sound other for the feel.
But as someone said one mod leads to another.
You might want to get my11 tail lights as a cheap mod to improve the looks.

Good advice all round....in the early stages I found that uprating the ARBs made a big difference to being able to use the power that the car had.

As Boydie says,every stage brought a bigger grin...enjoy it.

That's the plan to enjoy it for a while and then slowly do some bits.

Where did you get the short shifter?? Had one fitted to my wee pug 106 gti and made a nice difference.

It was a forge motorsport kit but I randomly acquired it off a mate who ran a garage. A customer left them in to fit to his car and the customer basically did a runner so he had these and sold them to me - win win!

Well picked the car up on Saturday so just getting used to it and finding out how everything works. Enjoying it so far just looking for a few bits like new gear knob and gator and the door sills to freshen it up.