Slight Power Loss Periods (2.0 TDI)

RAFC_1990

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have owned my 56 plate A3 S Line 2.0 TDI for 2 and a half years now, and for the past year or so I have noticed something. One day I will get in it and drive away and it will feel slightly sluggish than normal and like it takes a bit more effort to get going, bit like its choking ever so slightly, but ultimately feels like there is less power and its quite noticeable, not like a massive power loss but enought for you to notice. It will then be like this for a while maybe even a month or so and you just kind of get used to it. Then all of a sudden one day you will get back in it and it feels that much faster and responsive and just like it wants to go again and you remember that this car is actually fun to drive again.

So basically it seems the car loses some kind of power and instant response, but it seems to do it at a month at a time, which is confusing, its not like one day its loss power the next time you get in it its back, it literally lasts months and then the power will be back for a month or so and then go again.

It has been remapped, but im sure the issue was present before the map.

Does anyone have any idea?

Could it be as simple as its running on 3 cylinders?

Thanks for any help,

Do you get any other symptoms like errors when car is scanned with VCDS or limp mode?

Also bear in mind that you'll get more performance on a cold day.