Looking to buy an Audi A3

Audi93

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My first post here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am looking at buying an Audi A3 but I want one that will be able to play my music from my iphone, make and receive calls etc. via bluetooth.

I have tried looking online for a defining answer but I can't seem to find it anywhere without it being unclear.

Can somebody help and tell me from what year and model I would need to buy which has this capability?

I don't think 09 plates have the capability from looking, but does anybody know if the A3s have bluetooth capability say from 10 plate, or 11? Or is it not as straightforward as that and would need to be a specific model?

Any help/advice much appreciated, cheers.

Hello, I have a 2007 S3 which I can play and stream music and get phonecalls through the bluetooth. The car will need to have a bluetooth module installed though, mine came with it already installed, I think if you look for cars that have 'phone prep' factory fitted it usually means it has bluetooth. This is usually in a form of a holder either on the dash or in the armrest which has some connectors which you can clip in a designated phone holder for your phone.

I however have the RNS-E MK II headunit, it came originally with the MK I unit which would allow me to make phonecalls through the bluetooth, but an optional connect 2 module had to be installed to play music connected to your iPhone.

But to be able to wireless stream you need to make sure the audi has an AMI unit (Audi Media Interface) This allows the connection of a phone etc which charges and displays on the DIS, but for the wireless streaming you will need an additional bluetooth adapter like the tune2air which works very well with the wireless streaming.

Reactions: Karlos_
They all have the capability for what you want but you will need extra boxes/gizmos fitted and programmed into the ECU. Best to find a car and ask the vendor if it has BT and aux.
You can also buy aftermarket devices that allow you to connect to most Audi Head Units, they are plug and play. I let you Google them as I have forgot who sells them.

Last edited:
Right I believe 2006 upwards (someone correct me if I'm wrong) all have the ability to connect the phone to the car.

Also, if it comes to worst, you can always buy very cheap Bluetooth devices which you just plug into your cig lighter (again, not guaranteed to work as mine doesnt for calls for some people, but you get what you pay for).

I think it all depends on how old you want the car to be. Let us know the rough year or something and we will show you a few examples.

I will be looking at anything from 09 plate onwards. Probably S Line too (not sure if this matters).

I don't want to fit anything afterwards, no cables, boxes etc. I just want to buy the car with everything already built in so when I get in the car it recognises the iPhone in my pocket and I can play my music via it and receive calls etc.

Somebody mentioned to me I will need to look out for Audi's with MMI, is it just as simple as if it has MMI I will be able to do everything I listed? Or is there more to it than that?

What do I need to be asking the sellers? When I have asked a lot of them come back with "Oh I don't have music on my iPhone so I can't check" which basically is no help to me whatsoever, what else can I ask so that I get a clearer idea from the sellers? It would be a waste of my time/money if I travelled to view every car just to find out it doesn't have that capability as I wouldn't buy one without it.

The A3 has the Audi Navigation Plus (aka RNS-E) 6.5" satellite navigation, so if the car has that its a good start, but its not called MMI for the A3 the next thing is to ask if they have the AMI unit in the glove box rather than a CD changer... If these items are factory fitted it is most likely has the factory fitted bluetooth as well...

Although even if you have all that you still won't be able to stream music via bluetooth from your phone, unless you just buy the simple plug in play tune2air bluetooth cable that plugs straight into the front of the AMI unit in the glovebox.

You shouldn't need music on your phone to check for blue tooth, Like post #2 mentioned some models that have the blue tooth module already built in will have the capability to make and receive phone calls but not stream music. So my question to the seller would be A. Does the car have blue tooth? and then B can i make and receive phone calls as well as stream music?. Also i'd be looking at cars with the Audi RNS-E unit fitted as standard which is more likely to be phone and music compatible.
I have an '09 sportback which had neither so i fitted a Dension gateway pro bt which allows me to do it all.

Just find a car that ticks most boxes, then if any original Audi tech is lacking, feel free to give me a shout to supply/fit exactly as per factory :)

The A3 has the Audi Navigation Plus (aka RNS-E) 6.5" satellite navigation, so if the car has that its a good start, but its not called MMI for the A3 the next thing is to ask if they have the AMI unit in the glove box rather than a CD changer... If these items are factory fitted it is most likely has the factory fitted bluetooth as well...

Although even if you have all that you still won't be able to stream music via bluetooth from your phone, unless you just buy the simple plug in play tune2air bluetooth cable that plugs straight into the front of the AMI unit in the glovebox.

See that's the thing, I don't want to have to buy anything after such as a plug in play cable. I want to buy an Audi A3 where when I get in it already has the full bluetooth capability, to stream music, make and receive calls, the whole lot.

If this is what I am looking for is it probably best to steer away from Audi's? I am finding it more and more difficult for car salesmen to give me a simple answer on this and 9 times out of 10 they are saying it doesn't have the capability I'm looking for.

You shouldn't need music on your phone to check for blue tooth, Like post #2 mentioned some models that have the blue tooth module already built in will have the capability to make and receive phone calls but not stream music. So my question to the seller would be A. Does the car have blue tooth? and then B can i make and receive phone calls as well as stream music?. Also i'd be looking at cars with the Audi RNS-E unit fitted as standard which is more likely to be phone and music compatible.
I have an '09 sportback which had neither so i fitted a Dension gateway pro bt which allows me to do it all.

I have asked the seller these questions and 9 times out of 10 they are saying it doesn't have that capability, the other times they say they don't know.

It is so complicated getting an answer on this, I just want to be able to get in the car and be able to stream music, make calls etc. with no wires or anything fitted.

A friend of mine has a basic fiesta that does it seemlessly I would of thought Audi's would of been at a higher spec and straightforward as to whether the car can do what I'm requiring.

Would you say it is better to steer clear of Audi's if I am looking for this type of thing?

I guess for that shape and year of car for the A3 8P you woud have needed to get a high spec version that would have that compatibility. Unless you can stretch for the new shape A3 8V, that has everything you want pretty much as standard. As I have said though, unless someone has already pre-fitted a bluetooth cable to you Audi, none of the A3 8P as standard will have the ability to stream bluetooth audio from your phone.

It's always the case when buying a premium badge car... you have to pay more for extra's rather than other car manufacturer's.

Although, it's up to you! What car would you rather have? If you want an Audi A3 as you like the look and quality of it etc get it, I mean you could buy a Kia that has all the toys you need, but depends what you really want.

I wouldn't really be put off about the bluetooth thing, as there are lots of retro fitters here that can fit OEM equipment and sort it out all for you. You would just need to set aside a budget for this when buying the car, I know it is a little bit of hassle not having it all ready to go, but if you find an A3 with the colour, engine, budget that you want, I wouldn't let the stereo capabilities put you off.

As above, Audi is quality and you get what you pay for. NHN can fit bluetooth if the car you find doesn't already have it. all oem. I'm sure if you went down that route you'd be happy in the long run, or go for a different make and always wonder what if..... It's not a huge job to fit what you're looking for as a retrofit.

Thank you both for the advice.

atkins are you saying that the A3's from 2003 - 2012 don't have the capability of streaming music built in? Or do you mean just as standard? I would buy the higher spec but I am struggling to find one with that capability.

Or are you saying that I would need to buy something after 2012 to have the capability of streaming music built in?

That's correct, as factory standard you are only able to get bluetooth hands free phone for the A3's from 2003-2012, however you can stream with just a swap of a simple cable which is either the 30 pin, or lighting cable connected to the AMI in your glove box but you will need the following:

- RNS-E MKII (Factory Option)
- Audi Media Interface (AMI) - Installed in glove compartment (Factory Option)
- Tune2Air (Aftermarket), http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomItem_Detail.asp?hidShowKindID=3&hidShowID=22

This is the exact setup I have and works great with streaming music from my iPhone and taking calls. Mine is 2007 S3.

As far as I am aware, the A3's new shape from 2012 all have the capability of streaming music via bluetooth as standard.

Okay great, thanks for all your help.

Buy an A3 privately, that way you can ask the owner/seller if it has the features you want. You'll also save quite a lot of cash in doing so. Also the Sline versions have the better spec. and trim that you wished you had in the first place. Being prepared to travel quite far for the right car is a must, no one is going to bring the car to you. Have a gander at the cars for sale on this forum is a good start.

Reactions: Sandra