DVD In Motion

Asif Shamsudeen

Reaction score
i have a brand new audi s3 with the advanced tech pack.... wanted to know if theres any way to get the dvd in motion working...

Wouldn't recommend it. If a copper sees you, you'll get crucified. Out of interest, why do you need this?

Reactions: Simon L
i have a brand new audi s3 with the advanced tech pack.... wanted to know if theres any way to get the dvd in motion working...
Yup. If you are in or around London then I can activate this for you.

Reactions: Rob2k68
how is it activated?? i live in east london so it should be quite easy for me to meet you.

I assume you are both away that it is illegal to have a moving video screen within the field of view of the driver whilst driving. This is why Audi stop it from working. Not only is it illegal but more importantly it is dangerous - you cannot watch the screen and the road at the same time. I know, it will be for the passenger to look at. But it is still both illegal and dangerous and it will be within the drivers field of vision.

Reactions: S Liner and DJAlix
I assume you are both away that it is illegal to have a moving video screen within the field of view of the driver whilst driving. This is why Audi stop it from working. Not only is it illegal but more importantly it is dangerous - you cannot watch the screen and the road at the same time. I know, it will be for the passenger to look at. But it is still both illegal and dangerous and it will be within the drivers field of vision.
Fully aware and understand. VIM has it's real world uses however and is needed in order to install mirror link and "other" additional devices, for example in order to gain 3rd party Sat Nav integration.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Fully aware and understand. VIM has it's real world uses however and is needed in order to install mirror link and "other" additional devices, for example in order to gain 3rd party Sat Nav integration.
If that is what it is being used for then fair enough. But NOT for watching DVD's whilst on the move. What is the legal position when it is used in that way? I suppose no different to using the normal Sat Nav or any other Sat/Nav device.

Reactions: C39KER and DJAlix
I suppose you have to have the advanced tech pack to have this activated.Would be quite keen on the mirror device and other device links

Now all i need to do is get you and the cable to Cape Town...any chance you can do this via skype? ;)
Unfortunately its not possible to do this remotely. I need to plug in to the ODB port as like with VCDS the needed cable act's as an encryption dongle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 266
Take a look at the sentencing guidelines for driving offenses.

Carrying out other tasks like watching TV, is an aggravating factor that will automatically increase your fine, ban, amount of community service or prison sentence.

You might not even be watching, but having modified your car to allow VIM you've shown a clear intent. If you were to be involved in a collision, even one that's not your fault, then in all circumstances you'd be looking at a heavier punishment, and even 'promotion' to a custodial sentence.

Custodial sentence usually equals loss of job, and often loss of home, lifestyle, loved ones, relationships and standing.

Just use the audi Sat Nav.

Reactions: richinsoton, S Liner, h5djr and 1 other person
Never saw the point of dvd playback, can't use it on the move and I'd have thought it would do your battery no favours watching a 90 min film when you're parked up.

Never saw the point of dvd playback, can't use it on the move and I'd have thought it would do your battery no favours watching a 90 min film when you're parked up.
Funny thing is that you cannot watch a full film while parked up anyway as by default the MMI "sleeps" after 10mins of non-interaction. The sleep timer can be changed but only to a max of 60mins.

Am able to activate VIM on any MMI unit :)

When you say integration with 3rd party sat navs, how would that work? Does it let you load Google Map navigation, for example, onto the MMI?

When you say integration with 3rd party sat navs, how would that work? Does it let you load Google Map navigation, for example, onto the MMI?
As a very simple example, and something I just happen to be testing at the moment, installing a mirror link box. Currently I have a Wifi Airplay unit which is connected to my AMI port which when selected as an input source will mirror my phone screen. I can then display any iOS SatNav application via my MMI screen. VIM is needed to continue usage whilst in motion. Mira cast units exist for Android users also.

A more complicated solution would be to install one of the available CAN Bus connected units, again video via AMI, which will display in the same way as the above but allow control via the cars buttons. Again VIM is needed in order to continue usage whilst in motion.

Moving away from VIM, another available solution is a unit which connects to CAN Bus and sits between the video out of the MMI and the video in of the screen. These systems bypass the need for VIM.

Reactions: Ignition1, Simon L and Rob2k68
Here in Hong Kong, navi isn't even offered as an option, it only comes with MMI radio plus with 5.8" screen, AMI, AAS and BT :(

I'm about to install a mirrorlink system for AirPlay or Android screen mirroring for the sole purpose of getting Google map on screen, but as a bi-product, it will also activates video in motion should I play YouTube or something on the phone, not my intention, again, it's just a bi-product.. :)

Reactions: DJAlix
Here in Hong Kong, navi isn't even offered as an option, it only comes with MMI radio plus with 5.8" screen, AMI, AAS and BT :(

I'm about to install a mirrorlink system for AirPlay or Android screen mirroring for the sole purpose of getting Google map on screen, but as a bi-product, it will also activates video in motion should I play YouTube or something on the phone, not my intention, again, it's just a bi-product.. :)
Larbel, can you give me some details of the mirror link system. May be i can use that as a route to get the maps displayed on the MMI, i did not get sat nav in my car. Bought a used one.

Yup, pretty much the same thing I'm going to install. Nothing fancy :)

Reactions: DJAlix