Pcv valve ?

ryanstewart_1991

Reaction score
Hello guys got a 2007 s3 seems to be lumpy on idle I searched the net and found a way to test the pcv system by removing the oil filler cap and it runs rough does this mean it's the pcv valve and where do you get it from thanks Ryan

Hi mate, my cars idling crap and there's an intermittent hissing coming from under the bonnet, is this what yours is doing? And if you want any parts speak to mjr901 or run it through the parts request system on here and he will get back to you that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't really feel like a misfire and I don't hear a hiss mate it just feels a little lumpy and when you take the oil filler cap off its sucking quite badly and nearly cutting out I don't know if that's normal ?

Clueless mate, I've only looked into it tonight after seeing our post, I'm thinking mine may be a leak on the inlet as it was taken off to change my thermostat not long ago :/ I will follow this thread and see if anyone else has any input

Ive had exactly the same issue, ive upgraded the to the go fast bits diverter valve but this hasnt cured it, after reading a thread i tried to take the oil cap off and again i got the redistance and then it felt like a vacuum being created, the hissing noise is coming from the vacuum valve, looks like a disc under the engine, apparently these can be faulty, ive taken mine off and had a look inside by taking the disc off and found that the spring is really worn and has no resistance (basically i can compress it quite easily with my fingers) im no expert but frm what ive heard if it is faulty it obviously cant open and close the whole up when your on or off boost. Apparently the part is £29 from TPS however im trying to fing an uprated version as theres no point putting the same part back on if its gonna do it again in the future, ive put a picture up of the part in question

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 306
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    776.4 KB · Views: 237
Jeez I've got a video of the hissing but that the suction on the cap

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine seems to be doing it constantly yours seems intermittent, theres a hole at the side of the disc, put ur finger over the hole and see what it does, mine made the engine idle erraticaly

I don't have a hole on mine, I've had it off twice today and I can't see anything wrong and the valve is moving freely :/

Ive read somewhere it could be faulty wiring or a loose connection not allowing it to communicate with part in question

The ones from tps are a newer revised version so they are better as far as i remember.

Reactions: S.
If you pull the dipstick with the engine running and there is no difference in idle then the pcv needs replacing.
Also if yo try to remove your oil filler cap with the engine running, it should be difficult to remove the cap due to the pcv creating vacuum, if its easy then you need a new pcv.

Reactions: JDP
Quick update, changed the pcv valve for the newest version they do and it seems to have sorted it, engine seems a lot quieter on idle and also seems to pull harder for longer on full boost and no erratic idle, not a bad fix for £33 Its good to knows someone tht works for TPS

Part number 06F129101R

Reactions: kash_v and Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
Dragging this back up again, fitted my new pcv today and it seems to be running a lot better, will have to see how it starts from cold

When I started the car after fitting it there was loads of smoke coming out of my exhaust when I gave it a Rev? Is this normal?

It could be just where theres some oil left over oil in the throttle body, i didnt rev mine until it was warm but my local mechanic noticed a little bit of oil in the throttlw body, plus TFSI engines do burn oil more than other engines, only time to start worrying is when your constantly topping up your oil on a regular basis

It could be just where theres some oil left over oil in the throttle body, i didnt rev mine until it was warm but my local mechanic noticed a little bit of oil in the throttlw body, plus TFSI engines do burn oil more than other engines, only time to start worrying is when your constantly topping up your oil on a regular basis

The car was still piping hot from the drive to the post office, my old pcv sounded blocked so I've come to the verdict that it was taking loads of oil back through my intake! the car is running mint again now, just an initial worry! Cheers mate

Did you's replace the gasket too guys going to get mine tomorrow ? Thanks

Yes I did mate, worth doing really for piece of mind, got mine from Mike on here, parts request system if you haven't already sorted one

How much was it mate I priced it and it was basically the same price as the valve haha ?

All in I think it was around £55 for both pal, get all my parts off Mike, nice guy and will go out of his way to help you out

My car was idling really rough, and that was the only issue, I did feel like the car was running a lot better when I put my foot down but I can never work out if it's just placebo effect of fitting a new part! Mine hadn't been changed in the 10 years of its life so it was 100% about time, one less thing on my list

Mine did cough a lot of smoke when the new one was fitted, I didn't have the symptoms other people had, mine was just intermittently hissing like it was blocked, but the idle was fluctuating from 900-800

That's the same is what mines is idling like mate I'll see what it's like yeah as always the list keeps growing haha

Mental isn't it, I'm happy it solved mine in time for the remap, would have been gutted if it wasn't running right, changed the pcv and checked the cam follower, has your pcv ever been changed do you know?

Yeah it is and no mate it's never been done I don't think anyway it's 2007 only done 42k mate

I would change it mate, knocks off a reason why the idle could be bad and it will need replacing at some point anyway, mines done 70k so not stupidly high miles but mine had defo gone, are you getting any funny noises from your engine when accelerating, or can you hear anything unusual coming from your pcv?

Not really mate but I've not really listened hard to be honest mate work a try anyway

Fair enough, either buy one and have a go or try some trouble shooting

This has been a helpful post!

My 2008 S3 has just started playing up, disgusting idle, loss in performance and quite a lot of suction on the oil fill cap. Decided to go ahead and order the pcv parts after reading this thread, fingers crossed once its fitted it will start behaving again. Might not cure it as i have read other places that the symptoms could also link to the diverter valve, but for the price of parts (unit and gasket) its a no brainer!

Thanks Guys!

This has been a helpful post!

My 2008 S3 has just started playing up, disgusting idle, loss in performance and quite a lot of suction on the oil fill cap. Decided to go ahead and order the pcv parts after reading this thread, fingers crossed once its fitted it will start behaving again. Might not cure it as i have read other places that the symptoms could also link to the diverter valve, but for the price of parts (unit and gasket) its a no brainer!

Thanks Guys!

It's somewhere to start mate! I had a right good rip in mine last night in the way home from work and it has brought power back 100% diverter valve is another thing that I have changed, yours is easily accessible so I would check for any rips on the valve too

Yea i have checked the diverter valve this evening the rubber diaphragm is in tact so will hopefully get the bits for the pcv early next week and be able to get the performance back and a nice smooth idle.

Trying to get other jobs done and off the list but more keep getting added!

I know the feeling mate, I've got remap tomorrow, body work to get rid of the lacquer peel and then new tyres all round next month, the list never stops being added too all good fun tho

yea i had a nice new alcantara steering wheel fitted this week, most of my work is cosmetic. Desperately trying to get hold of a new engine cover but they seem hard to come by.

will keep you posted on whether the pcv work does the trick.

I can't wait to get to the point where I can get my steering wheel re-done, far too many other things to do! What engine cover do you want mate?